Weak-end thread June 10-13th.

Hunter-Please name an incumbent that is NOT safe-like 98% are re-elected

Optical

Can't. Colossal deceptions employed in both houses to record votes....

ie. double negatives as Kissinger used for a positive.

Ok optical....

Senator Graham of Florida is leaving at the end of the term.

Senator ??????of Tennessee left and returned to acting in 2003.

Senator ??????of Maryland left, unknown what present work embraces.

Score: 1 Dem and 2 Rep.

House members....I am uncertain.

Sorry but that is as close as I can come without extensive research.

Other super-grade civil servants have left across the spectrum of departments...

more than normal routine retirements imo. Add to this the many Flag Officers

that have quickly 'retired'.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I loved about the New zealand meteorite report was that the authorities told the folks to pick it up off the floor and put it in the oven to preserve it. If it was me i would run like Hell and call in the decontamination teams-I wonder if the folks now glow in the Dark! :lol:

I was too young to be paying much attention at the time, but wasn't there a political scandal at one time regarding the US interferring in the Australian policial process? Anyone remember the details?

"Mr Bush and Secretary of State Colin Powell said it would be disastrous if Australia pulled out, while Mr Powell's deputy Richard Armitage suggested the US-Australia alliance could be threatened under a Labor government."

"But Dr Lawrence said it was unseemly for US officials to become involved in Australian politics."

"Australians are a proud people and don't much like being told how to conduct themselves by other governments," Dr Lawrence said."

Bush trying to re-elect Howard: ALP

"Australia's opposition Labor Party has backed away from its promise to withdraw the country's troops from Iraq by Christmas if it wins the next election. The party has been stung by criticism from President Bush and U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell. Australia's Labor opposition has been forced to clarify its Iraq policy after two weeks of sustained pressure from the White House. It all began earlier this month when President Bush said that an Australian pullout from Iraq would be "disastrous."

Australian Opposition Backs off Pledge to Remove Troops from Iraq

Whilst I was 100% against Howard's decision to enter the Iraq conflict, I could not support Labor's stance with regard to withdrawing troops by Christmas. Australia has made the commitment and now must stand by it or be regarded globally as an unreliable lightweight in international affairs. We have a moral obligation to see it through as much as I hate the whole sorry mess.

Howard has made a public announcement denouncing the prisoner abuse in Iraq which "is not to be tolerated even if the victims are known terrorists planning their next attack". (my paraphrasing). This wouldn't have won him any brownie points with Bush for sure.

This news item also a worry:

Queensland, NT Likely Sites For US Military Base: Aust Minister

CANBERRA, June 7 Asia in Focus - A major US military base looks likely to be established in either Queensland or the Northern Territory. Defence Minister Robert Hill, in Singapore for meetings with regional defence ministers and US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, indicated that an in principle agreement could be signed next month in Washington.

I was too young to be paying much attention at the time, but wasn't there a political scandal at one time regarding the US interferring in the Australian policial process? Anyone remember the details?

"Mr Bush and Secretary of State Colin Powell said it would be disastrous if Australia pulled out, while Mr Powell's deputy Richard Armitage suggested the US-Australia alliance could be threatened under a Labor government."

"But Dr Lawrence said it was unseemly for US officials to become involved in Australian politics."

"Australians are a proud people and don't much like being told how to conduct themselves by other governments," Dr Lawrence said."

Bush trying to re-elect Howard: ALP

"Australia's opposition Labor Party has backed away from its promise to withdraw the country's troops from Iraq by Christmas if it wins the next election. The party has been stung by criticism from President Bush and U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell. Australia's Labor opposition has been forced to clarify its Iraq policy after two weeks of sustained pressure from the White House. It all began earlier this month when President Bush said that an Australian pullout from Iraq would be "disastrous."

Australian Opposition Backs off Pledge to Remove Troops from Iraq

Whilst I was 100% against Howard's decision to enter the Iraq conflict, I could not support Labor's stance with regard to withdrawing troops by Christmas. Australia has made the commitment and now must stand by it or be regarded globally as an unreliable lightweight in international affairs. We have a moral obligation to see it through as much as I hate the whole sorry mess.

Howard has made a public announcement denouncing the prisoner abuse in Iraq which "is not to be tolerated even if the victims are known terrorists planning their next attack". (my paraphrasing). This wouldn't have won him any brownie points with Bush for sure.

This news item also a worry:

Queensland, NT Likely Sites For US Military Base: Aust Minister

CANBERRA, June 7 Asia in Focus - A major US military base looks likely to be established in either Queensland or the Northern Territory. Defence Minister Robert Hill, in Singapore for meetings with regional defence ministers and US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, indicated that an in principle agreement could be signed next month in Washington.

Aussie....

What ever happened to to the ANUS treaty? As I recall, it was similiar to NATO

and called SEATO.

Aussie Bear- I agree with your concerns on the American base in your country-Nanoose Bay on Vancouver Island is where the American and British Nuclear Hunter-killer Subs come to practice their techniques along with our subs which are not nuclear. The Torpedo range as it is called has been a source of rancor for years. There are other American Bases in Canada which can't be talked about but should be. Canada is very much Pro-American but with Bush at the helm any wise person would question the status Quo-Huh!

Aussie Bear- I agree with your concerns on the American base in your country-Nanoose Bay on Vancouver Island is where the American and British Nuclear Hunter-killer Subs come to practice their techniques along with our subs which are not nuclear. The Torpedo range as it is called has been a source of rancor for years. There are other American Bases in Canada which can't be talked about but should be. Canada is very much Pro-American but with Bush at the helm any wise person would question the status Quo-Huh!

Brian....

Those diesel electrics are extremely difficult to detect as dated as the technology

is. The loiter-time is limited and is therefore a weakness.

Those other sites definitely need to be addressed since the need no longer

exists to be covert.

Interestingly, the Worldbook Encyclopedia of 1962 identiied 2 of the worlds

richest uranium deposits as Florida and Central Australia. Like everything else, investigations revieled the info was already in the public domain so WbE was off the hook. :D That happened to be the set I bought for my daughters from a FSO

at the Embassy in 1968.

Aussie....

SEATO was disbanded in 1977, Hunter.

Info here: http://www.bartleby.com/65/st/SthEATO.html

Note that Indonesia was never a member. I suspect Indonesia is what the proposed US military base in northern Aust is all about.....

Thanks for the update and link.

What I loved about the New zealand meteorite report was that the authorities told the folks to pick it up off the floor and put it in the oven to preserve it. If it was me i would run like Hell and call in the decontamination teams-I wonder if the folks now glow in the Dark! :lol:

no kidding :lol:

I wonder how many rich Americans live there now.

Archived