IDS World Markets Thurs 17th February 05

t?s=^AORD

The pattern continues: up open followed by selloff. All Ords flat and in the sectors, Property Trusts leading at +0.9% with IT at a nasty -5.2%. Obviously some bad news on one of the big ITs.

Golds doing ok, green at least and oils in the same boat, up but nothing spectacular.

A dodgy start in Asia:

t?s=^N225

t?s=^KS11

t?s=^TWII

t?s=^STI

t?s=^SSEC

t?s=^HSI

t?s=^BSESN

http://quote.yahoo.com/m2?u

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brazil Raises Benchmark Lending Rate to 18.75 Percent

Feb. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Brazil's central bank raised its benchmark lending rate for the sixth time since September as economic growth and higher government spending fuel concerns about inflation.

The central bank's nine-member board headed by President Henrique Meirelles voted unanimously to lift the overnight rate by half a percentage point to a 14-month high of 18.75 percent.

---------------

Mexico 4th-Qtr Economy Grew 4.9% on Consumer Spending

Feb. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Mexico's economy expanded in the fourth quarter at the fastest pace in more than four years, buoyed by a surge in consumer spending.

Latin America's largest economy grew 4.9 percent from a year earlier after expanding 4.4 percent in the third quarter, the Finance Ministry said in a report.

American Funds Accused of Paying Kickbacks to Brokers

Feb. 16 (Bloomberg) -- American Funds, the biggest U.S. seller of mutual funds, violated securities rules for three years by paying brokerages $100 million in commissions in exchange for promoting its products over other firms', the NASD said.

The kickbacks were made to about 50 brokerages by American Funds Distributors Inc., a unit of Los Angeles-based Capital Group Cos., the NASD said in a lawsuit today. Some payments were facilitated by clearing firms that the NASD didn't name.

w?s=^AORD

The bullz huffed and puffed, managing to get the index moving up as the day progressed but all in all it wasn't that impressive. All Ords closed +0.3%. Property Trusts continued to lead, +1.5% and IT remained in the rear at -5.9%.

Materials did well, +1.3% with the gold producers up around 1%. Oils slid a touch in general.

Asia not looking too wonderful..

Europe:

t?s=^FTSE

t?s=^GDAXI

t?s=^FCHI

http://quote.yahoo.com/m2?u

Singapore's Economy Expanded at 7.9% Pace in 4th Qtr

Feb. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Singapore's economy grew at an annual 7.9 percent pace in the fourth quarter, triple the government's earlier estimate, as pharmaceutical companies raised production.

Singapore has offered tax breaks to spur drugmakers including Pfizer Inc. to increase capacity as the island-state seeks to cut its reliance on electronics manufacturing. The strategy may not keep growth from slowing this year as global demand for semiconductors slumps, said economist Nigel Rendell.

Europe going like the proverbial rat up a drainpipe. No stopping it,it would appear.

Dunno where the dosh is coming from but there must be plenty of it.

Talk about yield curve inversion and in the old days before derivatives this was seen as being bad. Now, maybe it's good for the big players...borrow for 10 years at <5%,lend some out to the punters at 10-15%pa in short-term credit and buy dividend yielding stocks with the rest . Why not?

U.K. January Retail Sales Rebound on Food, Department Stores

Feb. 17 (Bloomberg) -- U.K. retail sales recovered in January after the worst Christmas in a quarter-century, boosted by food and department stores.

Sales rose 0.9 percent in the month, after a revised decline in December of 1.1 percent, the National Statistics office in London said today. The median estimate of 37 economists was for a gain of 0.8 percent. Annual sales rose 3.9 percent, the fastest rate in three months.

The statistics office said the monthly increase was the highest since September. Sales increased across the board, apart from in some non-food stores selling books, mobile phones, cameras, computers, toys and sports goods, it said.

U.K. January Retail Sales Rebound on Food, Department Stores

Feb. 17 (Bloomberg) -- U.K. retail sales recovered in January after the worst Christmas in a quarter-century, boosted by food and department stores.

Sales rose 0.9 percent in the month, after a revised decline in December of 1.1 percent, the National Statistics office in London said today. The median estimate of 37 economists was for a gain of 0.8 percent. Annual sales rose 3.9 percent, the fastest rate in three months.

The statistics office said the monthly increase was the highest since September. Sales increased across the board, apart from in some non-food stores selling books, mobile phones, cameras, computers, toys and sports goods, it said.

Just my own impression of things here....Jan was fine until the last week but Feb seems really quiet and dismal.Not attributable to bad weather either...we don't get no winters anymo!

Just my own impression of things here....Jan was fine until the last week but Feb seems really quiet and dismal.Not attributable to bad weather either...we don't get no winters anymo!

Yes I suspect that will turn out to be the case in quite a few countries, Brown One. There's the post Chrissy sales then not a lot of inspiration to buy anything else until the next seasonal change and by then there could be assorted negative factors influencing retail sales...

"A 25% increase in U.S. gasoline prices to an all time high of $1.55 per gallon is possible by U.S. Memorial Day on May 30th this year. Gasoline prices are being driven by higher crude oil prices, rising demand for gasoline, little or no increase in U.S. refining capacity and growing environmental requirements that raise production costs and reduce production.

A similar percentage increase in gasoline prices likely will occur in Canada (assuming no change in the Canadian Dollar). Are you ready to pay $1.00 Cdn. per litre this summer?

http://dvtechtalk.com/February/February17.htm

I don't think that figure of 1.55 per gallon includes state and federal taxes for retail. Look at May futures on unleaded.

post-326-1108645391_thumb.jpg

Good morning!

I went to say thank you for the warm response you have given the Wall Street Examiner. You can be extremely proud of those of your fellow stoolies who are volunteering their efforts to build a different kind of "mainstream" financial publication. Their work has been truly outstanding! I salute them. Just so you know, and please don't tell the rest of the world, those of you reading the Stool boards usually get to see their thoghts before they get to the WSE. This is still home for all of us. We are just trying to do our part to bring our message to the rest of the world.

I have been posting my work in the subscription based WSE Professional Edition in real time, and then on a delayed basis, after the market close, or the next day, on the public side of the WSE, in order to introduce it to a whole new set of readers who have never seen it before. Publication of the subscription material on the public side of the site will end soon, not later than the end of this month. After that publication of subscriber material will be limited to WSE - Pro, except for rare occasions where articles may be offered on the public side on a delayed basis.

Keep an eye on the headlines in the left column. As new articles appear in the WSE and WSE Pro the headlines will immediately appear as links in these boxes on the left. If you click on the link you will get right to the article. Subscribers will of course need to log in to WSE Pro the first time you access it each day. The log-in should be automatic for virtually all of you by now, if you have been to the site.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to answer all of the emails coming my way. I'll do my best. Please don't feel slighted if you get no response. It's getting a little hairy trying to write articles, edit the WSE, and post in Stooltrading, and I just can't respond to all the emails as well.

Again, many tanks for your support! I am reading your posts here every chance I get, and will drop in as often as possible.

Please continue to spread the word, about both Capitalstool.com, and The Wall Street Examiner.

All the best!

Doc

Just bin perusin' a few European indices in USD (weekly 10-year).

Still to look at the FTSE but the French CAC is within 16% of "making its USD investors whole" and that if they were dumb enough to get in at the very top.'Mazin!

Look at the FTSE...I'll be damned.The USD investor who got in in 2000 has been made whole! No wonder the dosh is pouring in...everyone loves a winner. Big, stable and Anglo Saxon ! What's not to like about London.

Look at the Di+ line...last seen this high in '95.

post-568-1108645964_thumb.jpg

post-568-1108646542_thumb.jpg

Archived