B4 The Bell Frieday September 24

Hiding Bear

Followed by a Goon Shadow :lol:

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/181577-1752-021.html

"Cat Stevens? The erstwhile poet of the pop charts, now Yusuf Islam, Muslim teacher and peace advocate? Tied to terrorists? Well, "ties" can be about anything when the government doesn't have to spell them out.

Little explanation was given by the Department of Homeland Security for intercepting a transatlantic flight last week and deporting the "Peace Train" guy. "Activities that could be potentially related to terrorism," the feds said. The best intelligence, if you will, is that some of the many charities he has supported since embracing Islam in the 1970s may channel money to groups the U.S. deems non grata."

Another FED/CIA guess errrr estimate.If it weren't so seroius it would be funny-NOT.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did anyone notice Rumsfeld backpedalling on Iraq,someone has just told him to get us the fornicate outta there as quick as possible.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Art...tional/Americas

http://www.dawn.com/2004/09/25/top15.htm

Administration playing his comments down.

Whole bunch of conflicting stories being thrown around... as usual.

I smell fish.... and I feel a draft.

Don't cha just love the flippancy of Rumsfeld.

"It's a tough part of the world," he said, adding that nowhere -- and certainly not major American cities -- is entirely peaceful. "We had something like 200 or 300 or 400 people killed in many of the major cities of America last year. . . . What's the difference? We just didn't see each homicide in every major city in the United States on television every night."

Yesterday, insurgents kidnapped four more foreign workers, fired a small missile that exploded on a busy Baghdad street and sent a barrage of mortar shells at the Italian embassy.

And the cycle of violence seems to be worsening.

Foreign workers are fleeing Iraq, fearing kidnappings, and slowing already fitful reconstruction efforts. The number of suicide car bombings has soared in recent weeks, with more than 30 since the beginning of September. Mr. Allawi said more than 3,600 Iraqi civilians have been killed and 12,000 wounded in the past five months of fighting.

Sorry Donny Boy but there is quite a difference.The guy has gotta be Looney Toons making those sort of comments.

Rumsfeld is more than flippant - the US has about 11 times the population of Iraq. To get a better idea of the true impact, take a look at this article by Juan Cole which compares the Iraq situation to an "equivalent" scenario in the US. Scroll down the page to the article.

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

If America were Iraq, What would it be Like?

Click Here

Good morning, B4ville, and a heartfelt thanks to all of you who wrote  to me.  ...

Good to see you posting again, Butterfield, welcome back. The topic you brought up is one of interest to me- I may find myself on ?tother side of the border one of these days? have been monitoring a few Canuckistan blogs lately in an attempt to school myself about politics/ culture up there. Might be a venue to pursue your investigation, should you accept the mission :).

This site is my island of sanity, an eye in a hurricane of madness. Those who have the inner strength to withstand the approaching storm- or find it in the midst- will be rich indeed, apart from any stacks of gold coin or pieces of paper. I do appreciate your continued presence here. Same for all who make the effort to post here... muchas grassyass.

Peace, order and good government, eh?

Sinister Thoughts

Blogs Canada : Canada's Blog SiteBlogs directories, blogging resources, top ten best blogs, blog tools, blog sites, blogging news, weblogs, social software.

With an estimated 400,000 eligible American voters living in Canada, and given that, in the 2000 election, six U.S. states were decided by less than 7,500 votes, a healthy turnout of American voters here could make a big difference in 2004.

http://www.commondreams.org/news2004/0128-12.htm

It is estimated that over 500,000 U.S. citizens/dual citizens live in Canada and all are eligible to vote by absentee ballots.

http://www.columbiajournal.ca/04-09/Democrats.html

Between 400,000 and 600,000 Americans living in Canada are eligible to vote in the November U.S. presidential election. At the top end of the estimates, that's more than the number of voters now living in the states of North Dakota, Wyoming or Vermont.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...road040818.html

Although an official census has never been taken, between 4 million and 10 million U.S. citizens are believed to be living abroad. Those over 18 are entitled to have their absentee votes counted in the state where they last lived -- no matter how long ago that was. Only after all of the overseas votes were counted, including more than 12,000 from Israel alone,.............And while it's unclear whether the vote from Israel alone was enough to put Bush over the top, 185,000 U.S. citizens live there -- an undetermined number from Florida.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/cst-nws-camp16.html

Nobody knows just how many Americans live abroad, besides the 550,000 US military personnel and their dependents, but there are estimated to be between two and three million eligible voters outside the United States.

http://csmonitor.com/2004/0915/p06s03-wogn.html

With around six million Americans living abroad, there are enough voters to make up a 51st state

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_articl...1&story_id=8751

....tend to vote Republican, as do members of the military and their families, which make up about 500,000 of an estimated 6 million to 7 million U.S. citizens overseas

http://www.kniff.de/cgi-bin/cgiproxy/nph-p...cles/523232.htm

you see the problem. Numbers of actual residents are "estimated". Those seeking residence anybody's guess.

"Mogambo Guru" (Richard Daughty) speaks at a silver conference, and also mentions the $70 trillion debt monster frequently discussed here:

"You cannot get rich by going into debt," Daughty said. "Money should only be silver and gold. The government cannot print silver and gold."

A dollar was worth $1 in 1913, he said, and is now worth "two freaking cents."

"People want to know why I'm so mad," he said. "That's why."

He described "fractional banking" as a system that allows a bank to loan $100 with a $1 deposit. In only four cycles, that dollar means $1 million in loans.

"This is not right," he said. "All money is debt."

That growth of debt threatens the fabric of society, he warned.

"We owe $34 trillion, and have a $74 trillion financial liability," he said. "Where are we going to get $74 trillion out of 120 million people? You'll never make that much money."

He said the U.S. dollar is being held up by Chinese currency, the yuan, and when that country's economy changes from an export to a domestic focus, the dollar's value will collapse.

"People will dump dollars and hoard silver and gold," Daughty said.

And barring a corrupt market manipulation, oil will also not go down in price, but will cost "hundreds of dollars per barrel.".

http://cdapress.com/articles/2004/09/25/business/bus01.txt

Glad to see things worked out ok for Doc, and that butterfield is back. ;)

I have a couple long-time friends up there who immigrated in the havoc of the late '60s; one is a sociologist who regularily wades thru gov't statistics- will query & see if she has some thoughts of a non-anecdotal nature... A tidy little graph would be nice ;) Actually my interest is more along the lines of of what sort of reception a sudden repeat influx of Merkins might recieve- a subjective assessment. I trust civility & politeness will prevail (up to a point...). Did you catch Brians post yesterday re: town of Nelson-

...the front page of todays Vancouver Sun...under the Headline...U.S. Veterans ask Bush "to Halt B.C.'s Tribute to Cowards." The gist of the story is that during the Viet Nam War 125,000 Americans came to Canada to evade the draft. Some 40,000 settled here in British Columbia, the first few in the Town of Nelson in B.C.'s interior nestled in the Rocky Mountains. After Nam and Jimmy Carters grant of Amnesty about half went home and the rest stayed on. Although 90+% are now Canadian Citizens they formed an Association and stayed in touch with the roots and reason why they all came here. Their Association decided lo these many years later to privately fund a Memorial Honoring Canada and themselves. The Memorial would be a bronze Statue erected in Nelson and paid for by their Organization "Our Way Home"...
here

some Canadian voices...

So I sound like a broken record. Sue me. ... it has been two years since the interceptors have been flight tested. The rocket booster designed to lift them into outer space?to collide with North Korean missiles as they arc across the heavens?has never been tested while carrying an interceptor. Nor has it been tested at more than half its required speed.

A pathological system attracts pathological people. by Stuart Hertzog

I'm not saying that all politicians are stark raving loony psychopaths who would cheerfully spy on others, order assassinations, sign death warrants, make war on defenseless people, or mercilessly exploit the world's resources for their own gain. ? Our society is sick, and our political systems reflect the deep malaise that afflicts human societies globally. Our pathological society is cut off from life itself. It is anti-life.

That's why it's so important to overcome the splits within ourselves ? each one of us ? and to recognize that our political system attracts and promotes psychopaths.

The wimpy subservience of the U.S. Democratic Party to its corporate backers or the unmitigated venality and racism of the Republicans, don't surprise me at all....

Health care debate annotated index

About ten days ago Andrew and I started a discussion on the Canadian health care system.

aaaaand... a sampling of south-of-the-border political discourse (jus' tryin to intro a light note, here)

Sure, Kerry looks hungry, but...

thrill to the SHRILL!

Butterfield- Good to see you back-still chuckling over TE's "doing each others laundry" comment-that wouldn't be a pretty sight. Sounds like all in Florida made it thru in one piece, hopefully that's the last one.  Field Marshal Rumsfelds comments are quite a tell on what is going on over there especially the "it may never be peaeful in Iraq" line.  What a flippant Jerk and what a mess he has been the architect of-Huh! ;)

im not defending rummy, but has it ever really been peaceful in Iraq?

Butterfield- Good to see you back-still chuckling over TE's "doing each others laundry" comment-that wouldn't be a pretty sight. Sounds like all in Florida made it thru in one piece, hopefully that's the last one.  Field Marshal Rumsfelds comments are quite a tell on what is going on over there especially the "it may never be peaeful in Iraq" line.  What a flippant Jerk and what a mess he has been the architect of-Huh! ;)

im not defending rummy, but has it ever really been peaceful in Iraq?

Would we have ever cared if they didn't have oil?

Pee Brain: Don't take this wrong, but has it ever been peaceful in America? Remember the civil war? remember the 60's race riots? Ever seen a drive by shooting? What about Columbine? We are a very violent, divided society. The point about Iraq is that WE imposed on them. They never really imposed on us. I think that makes a huge difference. Let's face it, Iraq is just a very small pawn in the game. The bigger picture is Western domination. A new type of war and a new type of arrogance. It seems we always need an enemy. If not insurgents then it will be something else. America is not a leader of world peace. Just my dumb opinion and I mean no ill to you in any way. Just frustrated at the stupidity of the human race. Me included.

I posted 2 or 3 weeks back about an article in the Vancouver Sun on Diane Kerry, Johns sister who was in Canada to hold a series of meetings across the Country with Ex-Pats to ensure they voted. She spent 3 days in Vancouver and she stated that there were 400,000 Americans living in Canada 125,000 of which were in B.C.. The Sun covered her meetings as the TV networks did and they were large. Her Republican counterpart was shadowing her and holding her own meetings which were not large, in the Newspaper article the Repub lady who was that blonde bimbo who pops up on tv in the U.S. from time to time said in response to a reporters question about how small here meetings were that...."We certainly are not surprised because Canada is after all a liberal Country so there would be more Democrats here." Well she got that part right anyway. The Sun and tv people interviewed quite a few Americans who had lived here a long time and said they hadn't voted in a U.S. election since they had left or long before they left but this time they would crawl over broken glass to do so. That is a lot of votes for Kerry. ;)

One of the things that makes message boards successful is anonymity thru the creation of pseudonyms. Please do not refer to any board member by their real name unless you have that person's express permission to do so. I have noticed some of this lately, not just on this, but other forums. It's great if you get to know other stoolies personally, but it is not ok to reveal any information that might help to identify them. Respecting privacy is paramount. When referring to one of your fellow stoolies, always use their stoolie user name.

Tanks.

Archived