B4 the Bell Humpday, Sept. 22, 2004

Guest yobob1

Doc : Wednesday 07:45 ETUS - Gold broke the short term downtrend...

We don't have the same downtrend.. I would like to know if anyone has a different chart as well. Tanks.

Don't have a chart handy but yesterday COULD have marked a turning point high on a natural date. First day of Autumn. Not likely but possible. I have some resistance in the HUI at 218. 50% retrace of 258-178. I think we go higher from around here but I've learned lately not to assume nuthin'. :o

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll say this plainly one more time, just in case any of you have missed it :lol: , the sheeple cannot support higher prices. Their income is not rising in nominal or real terms, they have no savings and their ability to service debt is nearly maxxed out even at today's artificially induced bargain basement rates. See the Mogauge. Throw in the mandatory higher energy costs and the price pressure is clearly downward.

I was amazed yesterday in checking a suppliers prices on aluminum siding. Over the last 2 years the price has risen less than 2.5%. The prices of RV's actually fell from 1998 through 2003 and only in the last 6 to 9 months have the prices risen to partially absorb the raw material increases. The typical increase in the industry has been about 2%. But here's the kicker - I'm getting more than that back in a discount if I buy from their inventory.

We're discussing two different inflations in reality. The "book definition has nothing to do with prices directly. Price is seen as a side effect to monetary inflation/deflation. The "book" inflation is rampant, but I will argue that it is what I'll call digital theoretical money and can be wiped out just as quick as it can be created. In fact based on the huge push to create inflation and the results seen so far to date they appear to be failing at that. Pushing on a string would appear to be far easier than what they are trying to accomplish. For now it appears as if they are pushing on a ribbon of toothpaste, vainly trying to get it back in the tube.

Good Morning Crew- Well when Wendys earnings fall and the maker of Wonder bread and Twinkies goes tits up and Con Agra warns after virtually ever Supermarket chain has warned and every Restruant chain has warned it spells tapped out Consumer in big Scarlet letters. Wonder if they are buying Pork and Beans by the case yet. We will open down and stay down the Pig is going to get her ticket punched today. Window at the bell for 75 minutes-you better jump on the train Hi-Hatty it's about to leave the station. ;)

"Over in Russia, Russian President Vladimir Putin is using terrorism to increase his power and erode his people's civil liberties. It's nice to see the American way of life catching on around the world." ? Jay Leno

UFB!

Great line Jay!!! Unfortunately you will find yourself arrested for posession of drugs in the near future. Expect the worst.

Interesting concept. The question remains do you hold worthless dollars or metals?

No one can be sure what the PMs will do, but I suspect that in the longer run they will do just fine even with deflation. My reasoning has to do with the fact that there is no other alternative that isn't a fiat which is really nothing more than a debt chit. With low interest rates, the lack of interest earnings becomes a smaller issue. With 6 billion people on the planet and a high percentage of that in cultures steeped in the history of gold as savings, I expect demand will hold up.

I also think that cash in your native currency will also be fine for most countries.

Not so sure about a silo full of coffee beans or cotton though. :lol:

Archived