B4 The Bell Weak-End Den July 2 - 5

Saddam Could Call CIA in His Defense

A report prepared by the top CIA official handling the matter says Saddam Hussein was not responsible for the [gassing of the Kurds], and indicates that it was the work of Iranians. Further, the Scott inquiry on the role of the British government has gathered evidence that following the massacre the United States in fact armed Saddam Hussein to counter the Iranians chemicals for chemicals.

As I always suspected, just more filthy lies from the Shrub regime.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...Saddam Hussein was not responsible for the [gassing of the Kurds]...

This is not getting us anywhere; all the lies and misinformation.

Try taking another view; what facts leading us

to war in Iraq are true? Anyone?

Here's one. There is some oil there.

HT,

other than the obvious parabolic debt rise, the modest increase in household assets is the most shocking line on that first chart. if the debt did not go to acquiring assets, then WTF? or is it to the point where its just piling debt on top of debt?

thanks for the charts.

post-18-1088899988.gif

Manufacturing has collapsed in the US...has been since 1979...Prior to the top in rates the general price inflation was being driven by it. since then general price inflation has been kept low because of the outsourcing and now hemorage of manufacturing out of the US...The massive exportation of debt inflation...

The primary engine of debt inflation is real estate supported by perpetually dropping rates since the 50's...

post-18-1088901129.gif

So the basic answer is yes...it is all just leverage piled on top of leverage with a finite limit on how much debt consumers can request commercial banks to create out of thin air and a finite limit to how low interest rates can drop to support that...

The reality is that outsourcing has bought time...If the US would have maintained a closed loop economic system hyperinflation would have eventually kicked in and the whole thing would have reached maximum potential very quickly almost 2 decades ago...The controlled destruction of the economy policy first mentioned in 1979 has in fact bought decades worth of time...Time to find a solution to the problem...

Unfortunately the only solution to the problem of a hyperdeflationary implosion of a debt backed by debt system is a hyperdeflationary implosion...

the only way to fight deflation is with inflation...

It works like this...The only way to fight population deflation is with a greater force of population inflation...Once the maximum potential food supply is reached it does not matter how much intercourse takes place...

Running out of basis points to support debt inflation is the same as running out of food to support population inflation...

I believe it is still possible to engineer mortgage rates low enough for one last gasp...It is possible...Right now consumers are having their heads held underwater...Low enough rates will allow them to break the surface to gasp for air...but time is running out.

The engineering must be preemptive...It will not work after a debt deflationary shockwave like 2000-2003 hits since rates at that point would have to be dropped well below zero which is impossible...

It boils down to volume...It is only a best guess but I think there is enough potential volume at significantly lower rates to produce one last gasp...Maybe even a doomsday spike to allow the true believers in the just think positive inflation forever religion to have orgasims.

Reguardless the jig will soon be up one way or the other...consumers will dip their heads under, begin breathing water and drown...

Saboteurs strike Iraqi oil pipeline

Sat 3 July, 2004 11:27

By Alistair Lyon

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Saboteurs have set a southern oil export pipeline ablaze in the first reported attack on Iraqi oil facilities since the U.S.-British handover to an interim government, an oil official says.

"Fire is raging in the 42-inch (106 cm) pipeline on the Faw Peninsula," he said, referring to one of two pipelines feeding Iraq's export terminals on the Gulf. "It was sabotage."

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticl...07&section=news

Tear Up the Mortgage? Not Yet: Elderly Face Rising Debt Load

By JENNIFER BAYOT

Published: July 4, 2004

As Americans have rushed to borrow at historically low interest rates, an unlikely group has led the charge: the elderly.

As a result, the cushion that could provide financial security for older people ? their homes ? is no longer so secure. People reaching retirement age are now less likely to own their homes free and clear than their predecessors, according to an analysis of government housing and Census data.

One in four families headed by someone 65 or older still had a mortgage to pay in 2001, the most recent data available. In 1989, just one in six still had house payments to make.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/04/business...&partner=GOOGLE

Is No 10 running scared of Butler?

The report is expected to be unsparing in its criticism of Downing Street's dodgy dossiers, say Francis Elliott and Raymond Whitaker

04 July 2004

Two weeks ago, at lunch with the Queen, Lord Butler let slip that he was spending almost every waking minute writing his report into the intelligence that led Britain into war with Iraq. Even within Windsor Castle's protective walls, the former cabinet secretary gave little further away about what it will say, however.

In the five months since Tony Blair was forced to concede a formal inquiry into intelligence failures, there have been only the briefest of glimpses of Lord Butler's team at work. But a source close to the inquiry provides the first real indication of what is lurking in the wings for Mr Blair. It will, he says, be unsparing in its criticism of the "interface" between Downing Street and the intelligence services.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/...sp?story=537879

I can't believe it's after 10pm already and all day nobody on the thread has posted this old parody:

Face the USA

I also find it a little strange that such a homophobe as Bush is using the Village People of all groups to support their war effort. Is the piece a joke? Don't they have a clue how totally camp the whole VP phenomenon is?

Evidently not an issue, as this "news" piece reports: Powell dons hard hat, sings Village People's 'YMCA' at end of diplomatic meeting

My short-term model combines price with two sentiment indicators -- the CBOE p/c ratio and the VXO. The VXO is a very slippery devil so I chose not to include it in the oscillator. I don't want to give away all my secrets, but the oscillator is constructed much like any oscillator (MACD, CCI,RSI, etc.). I developed one oscillator for price based on the Spoos that bounces between +50 and -50. Did the same for the p/c ratio and then simply added them together.

SJ - thanks, nice work. Interesting idea to use the sum of two or more oscillators instead of considering each one separately - a more mathematical approach. The vertical scales and overbought/Dover Sole levels would need to be identical across all the oscillators for the sum to make sense - so your proprietary oscillators work nicely where most other oscillators would require some adjustment.

Back-testing five years shows that the Long signals are very reliable. Short signals are less so. Gives false Short signals in the bounces immediately following selling climaxes such as September 2001 and October 2002. Also (unfortunately) at the beginning of strong bull runs like in April 2003.

1999 was a blowoff top-o-the-bubble, and the past four years have been a bear market, and bear market rallies tend to be violent, irrational affairs - which could explain the false signals on the short side.

If anybody thinks Colin powell is a nice guy he Ain't-he is maybe the least offensive of the Bush Crew but he remains a " Hard Ass". My Lady and I generally visit vegas and palm Springs each year but haven't and won't it is a combination of danger and we no longer feel comfortable in " America" which Fokker has talked a lot about. The idiot prince has managed to isolate America and it will take a lot to restore the American image-can that happen-the jury is still out! ;)

If anybody thinks Colin powell is a nice guy he Ain't-he is maybe the least offensive of the Bush Crew but he remains a " Hard Ass". My Lady and I generally visit vegas and palm Springs each year but haven't and won't it is a combination of danger and we no longer feel comfortable in " America" which Fokker has talked a lot about. The idiot prince has managed to isolate America and it will take a lot to restore the American image-can that happen-the jury is still out! ;)

I have to admit, in the weeks leading up the invasion of Iraq, Powell was the last hope I had for a just war. I respected Powell and thought that if he was on board, going before the U.N. and speaking of solid intelligence - that maybe there was something they knew that they couldn't share with the public. I hated the idea of invading Iraq - it "smelled" wrong at the time, but Powell made me think twice. Never again.

Many years ago as a Young Officer i was a believer in America the great-Hell we were ingrained that they were the best of the best- but you know what they wern't-it all comes down to how good you are at hand to hand and how you respond to being cut off and alone- you know what without that Macho "think" you are a Grunt like everyone else! I am sure MH and Einstein agree! ;)

If anybody thinks Colin powell is a nice guy he Ain't-he is maybe the least offensive of the Bush Crew but he remains a " Hard Ass".? My Lady and I generally visit vegas and palm Springs each year but haven't and won't it is a combination of danger and we no longer feel comfortable in " America" which Fokker has talked a lot about.? The idiot prince has managed to isolate America and it will take a lot to restore the American image-can that happen-the jury is still out! ;)

I have to admit, in the weeks leading up the invasion of Iraq, Powell was the last hope I had for a just war. I respected Powell and thought that if he was on board, going before the U.N. and speaking of solid intelligence - that maybe there was something they knew that they couldn't share with the public. I hated the idea of invading Iraq - it "smelled" wrong at the time, but Powell made me think twice. Never again.

It was Powell who was assigned the duty to play the part of the administrations skeptical strawman. Once he appeared to be convinced to the WMD threat and the need to go to war, well then it "must be true" was the reasoning. All scripted and staged. Powell was onboard the invasion bandwagon from day one or he'd have been out the door. The bushman's administration isn't about allowing for independent thought or any disagreement. "You are either for us, or you are against us."

If anybody thinks Colin powell is a nice guy he Ain't-...

I like to drag this out when I hear the name Colon Poowell.

As a Viet vet I resent this mans advancement in my government.

He should have been courts-martialed.

He is a bit queer, and I dont mean that in a sexual orientation way.

http://anderson.ath.cx:8000/Blair/bpowell.html

Colin Powell's Legend

http://www.consortiumnews.com/archive/colin.html

Archived