• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Implored to 'Offshore' More

U.S. Firms Are Too Reluctant to Outsource Jobs, Report Says

By Paul Blustein

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, July 2, 2004; Page E01

A report by an influential consulting firm is exhorting U.S. companies to speed up "offshoring" operations to China and India, including high-powered functions such as research and development.

In blunt terms, the report by the Boston Consulting Group warns American firms that they risk extinction if they hesitate in shifting facilities to countries with low costs. That is partly because the potential savings are so vast, but the report also cites a view among U.S. executives that the quality of American workers is deteriorating.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...5-2004Jul1.html

Howdy Boys and Girls!

Spent much of the day in the high country of Colorado hiking today. Awesome weather. Spotted a mule deer drinking across the river from me, and just sat and watched as she made her way across the whitewater of Snowmass Creek and to within about 30 feet of me before she spotted me. Took her a couple minutes to figure me out, then slowly she backed away.

I've taken my act on the road for a couple weeks...so checking in less frequently...but loaded up for the big let down this morning. The jobs number thing was so predictable...it's all they've got left to hold the Yield down. I figure they need disappointing jobs data through August to get some of the real estate inventory moving, then crank up the jobs BS again before the erections.

I'm in aspen for a while, then on to the midwest. Tonight it's a free outdoor concert on the slopes at Snowmass with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, so that'll be a down-home good time with plenty of old familiar faces...and tomorrow I'm headed up above tree line to nail some trout with a buddy of mine.

Don't forget now, with two probable cases of Mad Cow diagnosed recently, and the final results due out any day...

Yes, We Have No Mad Cow!

They will lie through their teeth.

Plunger - Thought 'they' got to you.

Lots of mad cow out there now! :P

I might go tip one over in the pasture tonight and see if I can make him mad.

Does that count? :D

A report by an influential consulting firm is exhorting U.S. companies to speed up "offshoring" operations to China and India, including high-powered functions such as research and development.

In blunt terms, the report by the Boston Consulting Group warns American firms that they risk extinction if they hesitate in shifting facilities to countries with low costs. That is partly because the potential savings are so vast, but the report also cites a view among U.S. executives that the quality of American workers is deteriorating.

Let me guess, the conslutting firm is probably selling consluttancy for companies seeking to "offshore" activities.

There is a lot of fashion and hype in the current wave to "offshore". A lot of this offshoring will fail. And most of the failures of offshoring will be quiet.

Moving activities to a developing country requires real good management. This is especially true when you are talking about functions like research and development. When the company is losing because of mismanagement, offshoring will only amplify the problem.

Plunger - Thought 'they' got to you.

Lots of mad cow out there now! :P

I might go tip one over in the pasture tonight and see if I can make him mad.

Does that count? :D

"Make HIM mad"???? Yo. Plunger, if it's a HIM, it ain't no mad COW. :lol:

The Break and hold under 1127 on a holiday Friday is a disaster for the Creatures that inhabit the nether world of the Markets. The rally is now not only over but 1100 beckons and 1000 is possible. If the 4 year cycle top is in (and I think it is) the famous rally will be remembered fondly cause they won't see another like it for a verrrry long time! :lol:

The following excerpts are actual answers given on history tests and in Sunday school quizzes by children between 5th and 6th grade, in Ohio. They were collected over a period of three years by two teachers. Read carefully for grammar, misplaced modifiers, and of course, spelling! Kids should rule the world, as it would be a laugh a minute for us adults and therefore no time to war or argue.

Ancient Egypt was old. It was inhabited by gypsies and mummies who all wrote in hydraulics. They lived in the Sarah Dessert. The climate of the Sarah is such that all the inhabitants have to live elsewhere.

----------------------------------------------------

Moses led the Hebrew slaves to the Red Sea where they made unleavened bread, which is bread made without any ingredients. Moses went up on Mount Cyanide to get the ten commandos. He died before he ever reached Canada but his commandos made it.

Solomon had three hundred wives and seven hundred porcupines. He was an actual hysterical figure as well as being in the bible. It sounds like he was sort of busy too.

Julius Caesar extinguished himself on the battlefields of Gaul. The Ides of March murdered him because they thought he was going to be made king. Dying, he gasped out "Same to you, Brutus."

Joan of Arc was burnt to a steak and was canonized by Bernard Shaw for reasons I don't really understand. The English and French still have problems.

Queen Elizabeth was the "Virgin Queen". As a queen she was a success. When she exposed herself before her troops they all shouted "hurrah!" and that was the end of the fighting for a long while.

It was an age of great inventions and discoveries. Gutenberg invented removable type and the Bible. Another important invention was the circulation of blood.

Sir Walter Raleigh is a historical figure because he invented cigarettes and started smoking.

Sir Francis Drake circumcised the world with a 100-foot clipper which was very dangerous to all his men.

Archived