IDS World Markets Tues 27th October 09

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 5 hr cycle buy signals yesterday afternoon came from a bit positive divergence. Usually means a big move, but the bigger wave coming down could suppress that. Probability favors a sideways up phase in that cycle and 2-3 day cycles. If the 5 hr cycle indicator turns back down from around these levels over the next hour, that would have crash potential.

The problem with that Drano is that you are making a directional bet with an asymmetric pay off. With that method you can have 90% winning trades and still lose money if you get the direction & magnitude of the move wrong only 10% of the time.

Obviously you only do a risky strategy like this when you see an overpriced mania stock that has made a parabolic move. I did this with AZO and APOL near the top of their run, and sold OUT OF THE MONEY calls at levels that were unlikely to be hit. They went up a little more,nowhere near the strikes where I sold them, and then tanked. I don't have the guts to do this with a stock like AMZN, or AAPL, or BIDU, that could go up 20% from already elevated levels.

Every trade is directional.

Unless you are trading front month, your risk is the same as buying the same amount of shares. You're just leveraging up and at same time if used properly limiting your losses.

I find the high spreads on the options really hurt performance to say nothing of the premium.

Every trade is directional.

Unless you are trading front month, your risk is the same as buying the same amount of shares. You're just leveraging up and at same time if used properly limiting your losses.

Bare in mind, there's no reason for you to hold a trade that's going against you. Stop loss are key. Of course time is very important.

I find the high spreads on the options really hurt performance to say nothing of the premium.

Depends on which options. Some of the QQQQ options have spreads of pennies.

The leveraged ETFs have profited from the high premiums and spreads. That's why I suggested DRV as an alternative to puts on IYR

Archived