IDS World Markets Wed 30th September 09

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a little chart I made up yesterday for a short free podcast that I didn't do yesterday. The Case Shiller is way behind the curve.

The real story is in the new house sales prices, which show what happens when the time runs out to take advantage of the $8000 credit. Since the program ends on November 30, and it takes at least 4 months to build a house from date of contract, prices started to tank in August. Case Shiller uses a 3 month moving average and also filters out outliers from the data. For example, they didn't count Cleveland because the price differentials were beyond statistical norms in the paired sales that they use. Just the use of a 3 month moving average puts them behind the curve in the first place. You can't see the patterns. It would be like using a 90 day moving average on a stock price chart without looking at the daily price changes. You're going to be a little late.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3959/jshotf.png

You make an important point about the health care debate that I wish Republicans would acknowledge - namely, that a lot of economically productive entrepreneurial spirit would be unleashed in this country if one didn't have to worry about health insurance.

Take my wife, for example.

Despite being a worthless lowly despicable economist...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

...I've been begging her to leave her job and set out on her own. She'd kick tail, I'm certain, enjoy far greater professional satisfaction, and create a small business that would soon hire and support other 'mericans and what not.

But the thing I think that most makes her hesitate to do so is the quality health coverage she enjoys at her employer's expense. If one of our two boys got sick and ran up the bills, she could sic her firm's HR people on them, as she did once before. (Of course, if I get sick, she's thinking she's got one less mouth to feed.)

I'm sure Ike's interstate highway system was represented as nothing less than the commie tip of the spear that was certain to result in Amerika inviting in the Ruskies and saluting Marx & Lenin. Instead, it just served to benefit productivity, allowing us to find better, faster, more efficient means of doing other things (like drive Maseratii - double-i is the plural???).

National health care is sort of like national infrastructure in my book.

So long as it's means-tested to screen against mallcows.

I don't remember any organized opposition to the interstate program. It was like the Apollo program. We can do it. :D

Here's a little chart I made up yesterday for a short free podcast that I didn't do yesterday. The Case Shiller is way behind the curve.

The real story is in the new house sales prices, which show what happens when the time runs out to take advantage of the $8000 credit. Since the program ends on November 30, and it takes at least 4 months to build a house from date of contract, prices started to tank in August. Case Shiller uses a 3 month moving average and also filters out outliers from the data. For example, they didn't count Cleveland because the price differentials were beyond statistical norms in the paired sales that they use. Just the use of a 3 month moving average puts them behind the curve in the first place. You can't see the patterns. It would be like using a 90 day moving average on a stock price chart without looking at the daily price changes. You're going to be a little late.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3959/jshotf.png

I wonder what is going to happen when all J6Ps who received their 8k rebate don't close on the house. :lol:

:unsure:

I'm pretty sure in the movie I saw, Mel Gibson was leading the opposition to it and invoking Stalin.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you haven't seen the great movie "Conspiracy Theory" recently, perhaps it's worth watching again for the tremendous opening rant he does as a crazed taxi driver. The funny thing is, in the context of more recent events, much of what he said turns out to be things he actually believes. :lol:

Archived