IDS World Markets Wed 30th September 09

If any one here trades through their IRA account, pl tell me the restrictions like holding period(how often one can trade) of a trade, type of security etc., that would apply than a regular trading account?

TIA

Hmmm-- i tried replying to this once already so if this is a repost...sorry.

I once had an IRA at IB and could trade futures, options, stocks (and day trade stocks if >25K account). I could not sell uncovered options, however. My current etrade IRA only allows me to sell covered calls and no futures. I think it depends on your broker...but to day trade your IRA, i think the pattern day trading rules apply.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Japan’s Factory Output Rises 1.8%

Sept. 30 (Bloomberg) -- Japanese manufacturers increased production for a sixth month in August, capping the longest stretch of gains in 12 years, as emergency spending by governments worldwide rekindled global trade.

Factory output rose 1.8 percent last month after climbing 2.1 percent in July, the Trade Ministry said today in Tokyo, matching the median forecast of economists surveyed by Bloomberg.

U.K. Consumer Confidence Jumps the Most in 14 Years

Sept. 30 (Bloomberg) -- U.K. consumer confidence jumped in September by the most since 1995 as optimism about the economy’s prospects rebounded, GfK NOP said.

An index of sentiment rose to minus 16, the highest since January 2008, from minus 25 the previous month, the market researcher said in an e-mailed statement today in London. A gauge of confidence in the economy for the next year increased 13 points to 4, the highest in more than a decade.

European Consumer Prices Decline More Than Forecast

Sept. 30 (Bloomberg) -- European consumer prices fell more than economists forecast in September as rising unemployment curbed demand and oil prices dropped.

Prices in the 16-nation euro region declined 0.3 percent from a year earlier after falling 0.2 percent in August, the European Union statistics office in Luxembourg said today. The September drop was the fourth straight decrease and exceeded the 0.2 percent fall projected by economists, according to the median of 29 estimates in a Bloomberg News survey.

South African Credit Growth Slumps to 43-Year Low

Sept. 30 (Bloomberg) -- South African credit growth slumped to its lowest in almost 43 years in August as three quarters of economic contraction led consumers to cut back on spending while banks tightened lending conditions.

Credit rose an annual 2.3 percent last month after increasing a revised 3.3 percent in July, the Pretoria-based central bank said on its Web site today. Borrowing growth was expected to slow to 2.9 percent, according to the median estimate of 17 economists surveyed by Bloomberg.

Banks, including Absa Group Ltd., South Africa’s biggest retail lender, have cut credit to consumers as defaults on mortgages and car loans increased. Consumers have also curbed spending as job losses mount, while taking advantage of six interest rate cuts since December to repay debt.

Hmmm-- i tried replying to this once already so if this is a repost...sorry.

I once had an IRA at IB and could trade futures, options, stocks (and day trade stocks if >25K account). I could not sell uncovered options, however. My current etrade IRA only allows me to sell covered calls and no futures. I think it depends on your broker...but to day trade your IRA, i think the pattern day trading rules apply.

I guess we have all become so suservient that we take all these restrictions on our freedom as normal. Be happy accept your fate - dont travel to asia or the middle east where you will notice that most well-off, business folks make money - pay 10-20% to the govt and move on. No taxes on capital gains, interest. No govt looking up your skirt telling you which days of the week you are required to wear pink panties.

we are so dumbed down, servile, compliant - it is shocking - really.

I guess we have all become so suservient that we take all these restrictions on our freedom as normal. Be happy accept your fate - dont travel to asia or the middle east where you will notice that most well-off, business folks make money - pay 10-20% to the govt and move on. No taxes on capital gains, interest. No govt looking up your skirt telling you which days of the week you are required to wear pink panties.

OOPS I meant "SUBSERVIENT"

But seriously - I think unless these tax laws are changed - we can expect a continued brain drain ( it has been ongoing for the last couple of years I believe).

Well fine - you say - get the hell out.

i can easily forese a few years down the line - where in some public place there is a cry of " need help - is there a doctor around" - and there will be dead silence. After much searching - someone will be found who took first aid in high school.

They're here to help me, don't ya know! :wacko:

And that would be if you got lucky. More likely the best you will do is find someone who has extensive experience day-trading or writing " reserch reports" on healthcre stocks!

Well at least they will know the lingo right?

Odd you bring that up. This was on the TV here last night.

How did Americans react to the movie. Why is there so much hostility to socialized medicine in the US.

Its not perfect but replacing socialized medicine in Europe with something else would be considered unthinkable here.

post-4436-1254313762.jpg

Wow! gold and S+P futures.

These bull mkts just don't want to lie down.

Yeah - the markets are a completely diseased organism - a machine that is in one of two states:

- Fast Forward

- Breakdown

The markets are screwed up beyond belief. There are no "investors" in them anymore - just indexed computerized arbitrage programs that run 24/7 - good luck wid dat.

Yeah - the markets are a completely diseased organism - a machine that is in one of two states:

- Fast Forward

- Breakdown

The markets are screwed up beyond belief. There are no "investors" in them anymore - just indexed computerized arbitrage programs that run 24/7 - good luck wid dat.

True, and it is only considered to be "manipulation" when the markets go down. As long as they continue to grind it up, there will be no public outcry.

Archived