Market Crashes!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How would the mechanics of a default occur; wouldn't people on the other side of the transaction only take something physical like gold (or whiskey, food, etc..), which would crash the prices of everything in dollars? In other words, if I had something for sale, I would pull my asking price in dollars and not take dollars at any price if I couldn't do anything with them

I need to think more about this... is it possible to compare anything historically to get an idea?

I'd imagine once US default became a real enough possibility in the minds of enough interested parties, it wouldn't take long before there were no one to take the other side of the transaction.

It would be disorderly, nonlinear, and disruptive in the extreme.

I'd imagine once US default became a real enough possibility in the minds of enough interested parties, it wouldn't take long before there were no one to take the other side of the transaction.

It would be disorderly, nonlinear, and disruptive in the extreme.

no need to default, all the U.S. owes is "dollars", which can be printed for free in maSS quantities

so U.S. has no problem

let's print a few Trillion more tonight!

it's all free baby

it's all good

Philly, PA gov't jacks taxpayers to cover public salaries, benefits and pensions

The bill authorizes the city to increase its sales tax from 7 percent to 8 percent for five years and stretch out its pension contributions to generate $700 million to balance its budget.

Organized labor groups leaders joined House Democratic leaders at a news conference celebrating the bill's passage.

The Senate voted 32-17 to approve the bill one day before layoff notices were to be sent to nearly 3,000 employees of Pennsylvania's largest city, including more than 850 police officers and firefighters.

City police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said, "I don't even want to think about what would have happened, had this not gone through." :rolleyes:

Radio Free Wall Street 9/17/09

Lee Adler, Aaron Krowne, and Russ Winter discuss the barbell trade, and why it will lead to no good end. Lee Adler discusses how Fed and Treasury actions are likely to impact the market. The unemployment data isn?€™t as bad as it sounds. It?€™s worse.

Not a subscriber? Click here to hear a free preview.

Listen to any podcast prior to April 22, 2009. Click here for archive. Be surprised!

Listen to the July 17, 2009 podcast in its entirety for free.

To subscribe and hear this podcast right now, click here!

audio_mp3_button.png Radio Free Wall Street Podcast 9/17/09 [37:29m]: Hide Player | Play in Popup | Download

Subscribers, click player to start.

newclaims1.png

contclaims1.png

[snip]How would the mechanics of a default occur;

[snip]

... is it possible to compare anything historically to get an idea?

"These models ... suggest that a currency crisis is brought on by a combination of high debt, low foreign reserves, falling government revenue, increasing expectations of devaluation, and domestic borrowing constraints."

St Louis Fed (Abbigail J. Chiodo is a senior research associate and Michael T. Owyang

is an economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.) Paper

Market Update – Professional Edition

by Lee Adler, Thursday, September 17, 2009, in Professional Edition, Today's Markets | Permalink |Comments (0) Edit Click here to download complete report in pdf format (Professional Edition Subscribers). Try the Professional Edition risk free for thirty days. If, within that time, you don’t find the information useful, I will give you a full refund. It’s that simple. Click here for more information.

Archived