1973 Redux

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Home Prices Tumble 80 Percent in U.S. Cities

The financial turmoil sparked by the collapse of the U.S. subprime mrotgouge market has caused $666 billion of losses for U.S. banksters, lenders and insurers. U.S. companies slashed 14 million jobs in the last six months, the biggest cut since 1975.

Nice little juxtapositioning of a couple words there Shorty! ;)

Meant to mention this earlier today. I've noticed a few more gross-out posts showing up that I had to delete. Humor is great. The more, the merrier. Things that are chilling or disgusting, I'd rather not see. Likewise, links to obscenity. Use a little common sense please.

I'll try to hold myself in better check there next time Doc....

yes, but i'm thinking it tests 95-100 before then

it has stayed too high for too long for it to just give up the ghost here imo

Rapid Crash right into Friday for the $VIX.

The outright silliness of option premiums the last few weeks has kept me far, far away from any of them.

The schlocks themselves, especially the battered ones down around the dollah level have been giving option beta like percent movements in price with no premium or time constraints or risk of expiring worthless [at least not immediately given reasonably sound selection criteria].

Incredible movements...screw options, screw the indices...schlocks from the Dollar Store are giving leveraged futures return equivalents.

What a market... :blink:

yes, but i'm thinking it tests 95-100 before then

it has stayed too high for too long for it to just give up the ghost here imo

I think someone posted a chart here, not too long ago showing it was above 100 during the 87 crash, although the computation of the index has changed I believe. :unsure:

ZB soaring again AH, but the Fed Report (inter alia) persuades me that now is the time to stay on the sidelines. If your cycle forecast for TNX (3.2-3.25%) comes to pass, we are going to see some very serious downside action in schlocks. Looking to buy a few companies I really like on serious weakness. :ph34r:

Another brilliant Ivy League professor who couldn't bring himself to believe, it is different this time. :lol:

His son estimated his monetary losses in this period to have been as much as $10 million. He continued buying stock well past the time it was prudent to do so. When he was finally broke, Yale University had to buy his house and rent it back to him to keep him from being evicted. His sunny predictions of a ?new era? with continuing prosperity, even after the 1929 crash, lowered his reputation among economists as well as the general public.

Despite falling from the rank of America?s best-known economist into obscurity for several decades, Fisher?s reputation has since risen steadily as economists rediscover the path-breaking work he did on so many important topics. Fisher wrote 29 books, 14 of which are about economics. Joseph Schumpeter?s 1948 memorial article sums up well Fisher?s many contributions and his long-term place in the history of economics:

http://www.dallasfed.org/research/ei/ei0501.html

Well, it doesn't sound like the Senate banking committee has read much of Jim Kunstler.

I am starting to think it is Catastrophic Collapse regardless of the whether or not they throw more money into the hole. Every time we turn around "Catastrophic Collapse".

They wouldn't believe it if they did. :lol:

Another brilliant Ivy League professor who couldn't bring himself to believe, it is different this time. :lol:

His son estimated his monetary losses in this period to have been as much as $10 million. He continued buying stock well past the time it was prudent to do so. When he was finally broke, Yale University had to buy his house and rent it back to him to keep him from being evicted. His sunny predictions of a ?new era? with continuing prosperity, even after the 1929 crash, lowered his reputation among economists as well as the general public.

Despite falling from the rank of America?s best-known economist into obscurity for several decades, Fisher?s reputation has since risen steadily as economists rediscover the path-breaking work he did on so many important topics. Fisher wrote 29 books, 14 of which are about economics. Joseph Schumpeter?s 1948 memorial article sums up well Fisher?s many contributions and his long-term place in the history of economics:

"...stocks have reached a Permanent Plateau!"...1929

"...the Herdsmen of the Nasdaqistani Permanent Plateau..."...2004. :lol: :lol: :lol:

from your link:

"In addition to his other endeavors, Fisher was an inventor and entrepreneur. He created and patented an index card file system (known today as the Rolodex) that led him to start the Index Visible Company, which merged with Kardex Rand in 1925 and later became Remington Rand. The company made Fisher very wealthy. Yet for all his knowledge of economic theory and markets, Fisher suffered huge declines in his personal fortune and his professional reputation in the 1929 stock market crash and the Great Depression, eventually leaving an estate so small it wasn?t even taxed."

sad, and it appears history will repeat...for some reason buffet kept popping into my head when reading this

from your link:

"In addition to his other endeavors, Fisher was an inventor and entrepreneur. He created and patented an index card file system (known today as the Rolodex) that led him to start the Index Visible Company, which merged with Kardex Rand in 1925 and later became Remington Rand. The company made Fisher very wealthy. Yet for all his knowledge of economic theory and markets, Fisher suffered huge declines in his personal fortune and his professional reputation in the 1929 stock market crash and the Great Depression, eventually leaving an estate so small it wasn?t even taxed."

sad, and it appears history will repeat...for some reason buffet kept popping into my head when reading this

I was just going to add that Buffett and the Pimpco? boys been in absentia around carpvision lately. I thought it was just me. GS now 62 buffett hawking at 115. GE is 16 and change buffett was 22 i think.

Brk.b was down 7% yesterday. Down a little bit less that th ass n pee.

I read Buffett down 15B nominal. Remains to be seen if still an oracle. Or not.

Archived