IDS World Markets Wed 29th October 08

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

t?s=%5EAORD

Wow, big moves overnight! Not quite so irrationally exuberant here but All Ords +3.6% with a broad based rally across the sectors. Miners are out in front, +5% followed by Materials +4.7%, IT +4.6% and Energy +4.5%.

Solid rises in the big miners: BHP +4.3% and RIO +4.5%. Golds on fire: Newcrest +6.7%, Newmont +12.2% and Lihir +7.3%.

Oils streaking north: Woodside +3.6%, Santos +10.3% and Caltex +6%.

w?s=%5EAORD

Well that was a bit pathetic but maybe there's more to come. All Ords closed +1.3% with sectors trading unevenly. On the plus side Miners stayed in front, +4% with Energy and Materials a close second, both +3.9%. On the downside, REITs hit the skids, -6.6% followed by Utilities -2.5% and Consumer Discretionary -0.6%.

Miners closed off the highs: BHP and RIO both finished +3.7% and in the golds, Newcrest +5.6%, Newmont +12.5% and Lihir +3.9%.

Oils held their ground: Woodside +3.1%, Santos +9% and Caltex +1.5%.

A mixed bag in Asia: China -1.4%, Honkers +1.4%, India +2%, Nikkers +7.7%, Singers -0.8% and Sth Korea -3%.

Over to UK/Europe:

t?s=%5EFTSE

t?s=^GDAXI

t?s=%5EFCHI

http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=europe

Japan Small Business Confidence Falls to a Decade Low

Oct. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Confidence among Japan's small and midsized companies dropped to a decade low as a faltering economy weighed on profits.

Shoko Chukin Bank's index of sentiment fell to 37.6 points this month, the lowest level since October 1998, according to the monthly survey of 1,000 companies by the bank. A number below 50 means pessimists outnumber optimists.

The government last week said Japan has probably entered its first recession in six years after household spending fell and the jobless rate rose in August. Small businesses employ 70 percent of the nation's workforce, making their health critical for consumer spending.

After staring at the charts tonight until my eyes bled, I have come to the somewhat shaky conclusion that there is a possibility that the pattern we have been watching unfold is not a symmetrical triangle at all, but a descending triangle.

It's not textbook with perfect support/resistance lines, but the pattern traditionally allows for some flexibility. So I thought I'd throw this out there.

Discuss amongst yourselves, there'll be a quiz at 2:30 p.m. today.

post-160-1225271862_thumb.jpg

Actually looks a little purrrrrdier on the Dow chart:

post-160-1225272969_thumb.jpg

Let me just add that even if this is a valid pattern, I don't think it will hold. Although we are overbought on a short-term scale, I expect the market to hit the upper end of its trading range in the next week or so (around 1040 SPX) to finally complete the much-anticipated Wave 4 That Was Looking Like Wave 5 But Now Looks Like Wave 4 Again triangle.

General lack of solid follow-through from Asia today is a bit concerning. Most of the time these huge rallies are hallmarks of Bear Market Rallies. The last 10% gain in the headline indexes didn't stick around so I would very cautious on the long side here.

704575[/snapback]

Nikkei up 7.7% after being up over 10% the day before. I'll call that a nice follow thru.

Hang Sang stayed flat after being up 14% the other day. I can't see that as being bearish in any way.

(Thanks TJ - I like this trademark thingy)

704567[/snapback]

? ™ ?

:D

Where Is The Dow Going?

"Price keeps bouncing off of that 7500 ? 8000 level because there is demand in that area. Each time we revisit that level however, more and more of that demand gets to buy, hence, reducing the number of willing buyers (demand) at that level. Now I am not saying the Dow is going to crash through that level to the downside anytime soon. I am simply pointing out the fact that each time we move down to this level, the odds of price moving down past that level increases according to the basic laws of supply and demand."? Sam Seiden? http://www.tradingacademy.com/lessons/2008...red_article.htm

704568[/snapback]

As the late great LeeWhee said, "The more often support is tested, the weaker it becomes."

Roxy- Mazel Tov on the greatest blessing! :D

Good Morning!

Welcome to Intraday Stool! Thanks to aussiebear for her daily opening!

You can join the discussion by registering (PG rated user names only, please) and posting here as well.

Registration is easy. Just click the Register link above, enter your email address (which you have the option to keep confidential), and enter a user name. To keep out spammers and scammers, I'll send you an email with a few Monty Python type questions. Just reply with your answers, and I'll approve your registration as soon as I receive your reply.

Unfortunately, due to the barrage of spammers using Gmail and certain European email providers, including yahoo.co.uk, we cannot process any registrations associated with a gmail address. In that case please use the email address from your isp, or some other provider.

If you have questions about how to register and post, use the Help link in the menu bar at the top of the page.

If you know others who might be interested in joining us, use the email to a friend link above the thread.

Many tanks for joining us!

Doc

Try the Professional Edition risk free for thirty days. If, within that time you don't find the information helpful, I'll give you a full refund. It's that simple!Click here for more information.

Subscribe to the Wall Street Examiner Professional Edition Precious Metals Daily, just $39 quarterly. Try it risk free for 30 days!

Get this indispensable daily analysis and support the Stool!

rfwsad.gif

Everyone here remember when these "pieces-O-Sh*t" went public? If/when either gets under a $1.00 I may take a poke. Say a few/several thousand shares and just put it away in a drawer. My guess it'll either turn into dust or a nice little windfall.

big.chart?symb=fig&compidx=aaaaa%3A0&ma=5&maval=50%2C%2B200&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=4&size=2&state=11&sid=2600745&style=320&time=20&freq=1&comp=NO%5FSYMBOL%5FCHOSEN&nosettings=1&rand=6333&mocktick=1

big.chart?symb=bx&compidx=aaaaa%3A0&ma=5&maval=50%2C%2B200&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=4&size=2&state=11&sid=2743635&style=320&time=20&freq=1&comp=NO%5FSYMBOL%5FCHOSEN&nosettings=1&rand=556&mocktick=1

Archived