IDS World Markets Thurs 9th October 08

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like EWZ might go our way today Madness & Suds.

Have you got a target on it Suds?

Took profits on HTE, CHK yesterday but still got some OIH calls.

697767[/snapback]

My EWZ target is $50-ish.. the downtrend line. Eventually, I think it will go higher, but for a trade, at the moment I'll stick to short term targets.

Currency is already gaining 6% this morning, which is the biggest move since August 2002

Wasn't this market suppose to be frozen and no one want these things?? To get 98% is quite shocking.

697764[/snapback]

Huh? :blink:

I seem to recall that these companies have been nationalized. They are owned by the US Government. Under the circumstances, isn't it more shocking that they didn't come in at 99.9?

Like I said, I don't understand the concept of this stuff, but it seems to me that the market no longer expects government backing to mean 100% safety.

But, it's just a price. Prices only mean what a buyer is willing to pay and a seller is willing to sell at, at a given point in time. I try not to attribute any intelligence to that since the players are just guessing anyway, and their guess is no better, maybe a lot worse, than yours and mine.

Wachovia talks snag over division of its assets - WSJ (5.06 ) : The Wall Street Journal reports talks between Citigroup ©, Wells Fargo (WFC) and the U.S. government over a way to divide Wachovia (WB) between its two suitors were hung up on several key issues Wednesday, according to people familiar with the situation. The discussions, which began Sunday, have been snagged over the intricacies of carving up Wachovia, ranging from deposits to loans to securities. After burrowing deeper into Wachovia's books, Citigroup and Wells Fargo have been surprised by the concentration of assets they regard as low-quality, these people said. As a result, both banks are worried that buying even part of Wachovia could saddle them with steeper losses than previously expected. The two would-be buyers also have been sparring over the computer system used in Wachovia's 3,348 retail branches, one person familiar with the discussions said Wednesday. Citigroup, known for its hodgepodge of technology that hasn't been fully integrated, wants full control of Wachovia's system when the deal closes. Wells Fargo has countered that the two banks should share it temporarily. People close to the discussions said they remain hopeful that a deal can be reached.

Shocking... maybe WFC should have done a deeper dive before bidding 7 bucks a share....

Doc,

just studying your reports WRT US doolars, your take is the the US is/will be debasing the USD. When that occurs (already starting IMO) then prices go up...especially WRT imported goods. Also you make the point that when the rest of the world realizes that we will never be able to pay our debt then the USD tanks even faster. This leads me to the conclusion that (depending on the rate of printing of USD's) that we may/probably have hyperinflation.

I know my timeframe is much longer that most on this board but I really want to understand the implications of the above.

Can you express your opinion on this?

Tanks

Gold back down to the make or break line....

1025 now the pivot on ES...we could still see one last washout if they cant take out 1025 on any opening pop....

The surgical tubing is pullled way back here...once it is finally released, this market should have an upside move that should be awesome and unbelievable.....am looking for one of the biggest up days in history once the downtrend is broken...

Archived