IDS World Markets Fri 19th September 08

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Morning!

Welcome to Intraday Stool! Thanks to aussiebear for her daily opening!

You can join the discussion by registering (PG rated user names only, please) and posting here as well.

Registration is easy. Just click the Register link above, enter your email address (which you have the option to keep confidential), and enter a user name. To keep out spammers and scammers, I'll send you an email with a few Monty Python type questions. Just reply with your answers, and I'll approve your registration as soon as I receive your reply.

Unfortunately, due to the barrage of spammers using Gmail and certain European email providers, including yahoo.co.uk, we cannot process any registrations associated with a gmail address. In that case please use the email address from your isp, or some other provider.

If you have questions about how to register and post, use the Help link in the menu bar at the top of the page.

If you know others who might be interested in joining us, use the email to a friend link above the thread.

Many tanks for joining us!

Doc

Try the Professional Edition risk free for thirty days. If, within that time you don't find the information helpful, I'll give you a full refund. It's that simple!Click here for more information.

Subscribe to the Wall Street Examiner Professional Edition Precious Metals Daily, just $39 quarterly. Try it risk free for 30 days!

Get this indispensable daily analysis and support the Stool!

rfwsad.gif

U.S. Treasury to Insure Money-Market Fund Holdings (Update1)

By Brendan Murray

Sept. 19 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Treasury plans to use as much as $50 billion from the country's Exchange Stabilization Fund to temporarily protect investors from losses on money- market mutual funds.

The Treasury will insure for a year holdings of publicly offered money-market funds that pay a fee to participate in the program. Retail and institutional funds are eligible, the department said today in a statement.

``Money-market funds play an important role as a savings and investment vehicle for many Americans,'' the department said in the statement. ``They are also a fundamental source of financing for our capital markets and financial institutions. Maintaining confidence in the money-market fund industry is critical to protecting the integrity and stability of the global financial system.''

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/trea...0%7D&dist=msr_3

690597[/snapback]

$50 billion?

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Wow.

Being in cash the last week alone made me miss 100 pts down in the SPX and 100 pts back up. I didn't make any money, and I didn't lose any money. I count myself lucky. The question on my mind is now about how long this could go. The 200 day mov avg for all major indexes over several weeks is my best guess at this point.

OK. These are firsts.

Release Date: September 19, 2008

For release at 8:30 a.m. EDT

The Federal Reserve Board on Friday announced two enhancements to its programs to provide liquidity to markets. One initiative will extend non-recourse loans at the primary credit rate to U.S. depository institutions and bank holding companies to finance their purchases of high-quality asset-backed commercial paper (ABCP) from money market mutual funds. This should assist money funds that hold such paper in meeting demands for redemptions by investors and foster liquidity in the ABCP markets and broader money markets.

To further support market functioning, the Federal Reserve also plans to purchase from primary dealers federal agency discount notes, which are short-term debt obligations issued by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and the Federal Home Loan Banks.

Statement Regarding Planned Purchases of Agency Debt 

The Fed has never before directly purchased Agencies. Until now it has been Treasuries only.

Second, the Fed will now finance worthless ABCP purchases. This is certain debasement of the currency. Non-recourse.

Wow.

They plan on accelerating the bankrupting of the US government.

Archived