$16.75 Billion Don't Buy Wert It Use ta

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just spent the afternoon at my bank opening and re-organizing accounts in order to maximize FDIC insurance coverage. I thought I'd share this info in case some people are unaware of how FDIC insurance works.

The FDIC recognizes four types of different accounts based upon the ownership of the account.

1) Individual Accounts. This is individual property with only one name on the signature card. This person can have up to $100k insured. e.g. if you open an individual savings account, you?re insured for $100k. If you?re married, your spouse may also open an individual account that is insured for $100k. That?s a total of $200k insured if married.

2) Joint Accounts. This is collective property, so each name on the account holds an equal percentage claim. Each name carries up to $100k insurance. e.g. you and your spouse open a joint checking account. Total insured is $100k p/name for a total of $200k insured.

3) Revocable Trust Accounts. This is property being held for others (i.e. the beneficiaries of the trust). Each beneficiary is entitled to $100k insurance. e.g. if you opened a POD savings account (payable on death ? a type of revocable trust) and named your spouse and 2 kids as the beneficiaries, the trust is insured up to $300k. Your spouse can also open a POD and get $300k insured.

4) Retirement Accounts. Self-directed IRA?s of all types are insured up to $250k p/individual. e.g. you and a spouse could each have up to $250k insured in your retirement accounts.

So, from the examples, a family of 4 could have up to 7 accounts with $1.5m insured under the FDIC.

I thought this was worth sharing because I did not realize FDIC insurance worked this way. If you want to read more, check out this FDIC website. It actually has an insurance calculator which is interesting to play around with.

http://www4.fdic.gov/EDIE/

I think the Reserve bank in OZ will follow their NZ counterparts and start slashing rates.

The baby step 1/4 point cuts wont help anyone.

Another big developer bit the dust yesterday.

Receivers at Gold Coast developer Raptis Group

THOUSANDS of workers face a bleak future as one of the Gold Coast's property kings battles for survival.

In the latest blow to the multibillion-dollar property industry, developer Jim Raptis has lost control of a $700 million project at Southport and a second $700 million project at Surfers Paradise also is under a cloud.

The appointment of receivers to the Raptis Group yesterday comes as the global economic downturn continues to batter the Gold Coast, which is heavily reliant on development.

Tourism and finance giant Octaviar already is teetering on the brink of collapse.

And another Gold Coast firm, Asset Loans, chaired by former Queensland premier Rob Borbidge, also is facing possible ruin.

About 200 construction workers yesterday walked off Raptis Group's Southport Central job site after news the firm's flagship Hilton Hotel project at Surfers also was in doubt.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...46-3122,00.html

This TV program is worth watching.

Titled 'Bursting the bubble'.

It is a discussion about the OZ real estate market and the headwinds we are facing.

Professor Steve Keen is predicting a 40% decline in house prices... :ph34r: :ph34r:

Part 2 touches on small business.

People who used the inflated equity in their houses to buy/start a small business and the terrible consequences that some are now facing.

It hits on my themes of 'frivolous' businesses and overcapacity.

http://news.sbs.com.au/insight/episode/ind.../42#watchonline

This TV program is worth watching.

Titled 'Bursting the bubble'.

It is a discussion about the OZ real estate market and the headwinds we are facing.

Professor Steve Keen is predicting a 40% decline in house prices... :ph34r:? :ph34r:

Part 2 touches on small business.

People who used the inflated equity in their houses to buy/start a small business and the terrible consequences that some are now facing.

It hits on my themes of 'frivolous' businesses and overcapacity.

http://news.sbs.com.au/insight/episode/ind.../42#watchonline

687429[/snapback]

Kinda makes one wanna invite their local Reamtor over fer a little barbeque.... <_<

I just spent the afternoon at my bank opening and re-organizing accounts in order to maximize FDIC insurance coverage.  I thought I'd share this info in case some people are unaware of how FDIC insurance works...

I thought this was worth sharing because I did not realize FDIC insurance worked this way.  If you want to read more, check out this FDIC website.  It actually has an insurance calculator which is interesting to play around with. 

http://www4.fdic.gov/EDIE/

687427[/snapback]

I prefer the FNM/FRE insurance coverage, where you have no money at all in the bank, but receive 5 trillion dollars when you go under.

A really comprehensive overview.  It's nice to be right side of a trade supported by so much data.  :)  I was tempted to add chorts whenever ZB traded over 120 today, but held back because prior tops in bonds have tended to be of the needle variety.  Until TYX clears ~4.27/8%, we are still at risk of a downspike to 4% or lower.  :o  Need to save some ammo for this possibility.  ;)

IT/LT, the supply/demand equation will inevitably gain traction.  Nice to have someone like Doc doing all the spadework needed to document the process.  :)

687423[/snapback]

post-2253-1221083753.jpg

My old tinfoil hat

Flies on my head when I hear

My government speak

I agree. Unique data and perspective by Lee among all the quacking and shilling in the MSM. Doc, I would love to see a comparison chart of market moves vs new supply. You don't think they'd drive down the market to panic people into treasuries just so they can borrow at cheaper rates do ya'? Well do ya'? :o

That idiot Ratigan on Fast Money tonight broadcast the headline "Fannie Mae preferred will continue to pay dividends"

In the backround Karen Fineman whispered, yeah but its only for the 3rd quarter because it was already declared.

Ratigan basically blows her off and starts shouting "would anyone be a buyer now with the dividends reinstated?!?!?!?!?"

Everyone remains silent.....

Then he has them fire up the chart on the screen "Let's see how the preferred is trading after hours!!!!!!"

Nothing.....

Ratigan you d-bag.

Good karma, if you are a stoolie.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080910/ap_on_...rElEo0JlR8Z.3QA

Teacher OK after striking bear while riding bike

MISSOULA, Mont. - A middle school teacher suffered some bruising and a big scratch on his back after he struck a bear while riding his bicycle to school.

The bear rolled over Litz's head, cracking his helmet, and scratched his back before scampering up a hill above the road.

687421[/snapback]

And Drano's where.....? :mellow:

That idiot Ratigan on Fast Money tonight broadcast the headline "Fannie Mae preferred will continue to pay dividends"

In the backround Karen Fineman whispered, yeah but its only for the 3rd quarter because it was already declared.

Ratigan basically blows her off and starts shouting "would anyone be a buyer now with the dividends reinstated?!?!?!?!?"

Then he has them fire up the chart on the screen "Let's see how the preferred is trading after hours!!!!!!"

Nothing.....

Ratigan you d-bag.

687435[/snapback]

Wow.

Ya think some dumb guy he knows desperately begged him to say something positive about the boatload of preferred he's stuck sitting on?

Totally derelict of him - whaddaputz.

Nothing.....

Ratigan you d-bag.

687435[/snapback]

He received some of the finest stock investment mentoring available..... :rolleyes:

Archived