Teetering On The Edge

Agreed Stan. It doesn't just look worse it is worse. There is that much less money out there. That much more capital destroyed. Hedge Funds in much more dire straits, mutual funds in that much more dire straits etc. Joe and Jane Sixpack are starting to realize the market/economic recovery is not "right around the corner". Crapvision is starting to bring out the bears (and I don't mean Crapvision Euro which has for a long time now). Lose Rookuser, aka, George Washington is starting to bring on the bears. The country is coming to terms with what is happening and being prepped for what is to come.

OK TE, you can bring on the Dire Straits lyrics now.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BEARDRECH

IS a nearly $1 billion hedge fund on Park Avenue in financial hot water?

That's the worry confronting investors in the Lancer Offshore Fund - the subject of some critical recent coverage in this space - as the news spread last week that the fund is undergoing a severe, and intensifying, liquidity squeeze.

Confronted with what the fund itself calls "unprecedented" redemption demands that are "tantamount to a run on the bank" from its own investors, the Lancer folks were busy last week explaining that the fund's shareholders wouldn't be getting their money back in cash. Instead, payment would be coming in the form of shares in a specially created new fund - this one with a portfolio containing a portion of the same illiquid stocks from the current fund's portfolio.

One immediate concern is how far the ripples will spread, as banks and other creditors that may have extended loans secured by the fund's shares begin to wonder whether the collateral they're holding is worth what they thought. A Lancer lawyer describes the fund's investors as including "prestigious domestic and international public pensions and endowments."

Another Hedge Fund in Trouble

within the year its going to be:

"Another Money Market Fund in trouble".

That's when you really hit the deck. Its just a matter of time.

shortly an announcement to be:

financial cosmetic surgeon sued for mistakenly amputating Wall Street Pig's16 of the 18 remaining tits--many reports of the silencing of the formerly 100 decibel- strong bottom-feeding dipbuying sucking sounds-

the silence is deafening-- :cry: :shocked :shocked

Here ya go Mousey,

The bug

On every street album.

well it's a strange old game - you learn it slow

one step forward and it's back to go

you're standing on the throttle

you're standing on the breaks

in the groove 'til you make a mistake

sometimes you're the windshield

sometimes you're

sometimes it all comes together baby

sometimes you're a fool in love

sometimes you're the louisville slugger

sometimes you're the ball

sometimes you're going to lose it all

you gotta know happy - you gotta know glad

because you're gonna know lonely

and you're gonna know bad

when you're rippin' and a ridin'

and you're coming on strong

you start slippin' and slidin'

and it all goes wrong because

sometimes you're

sometimes you're the louisville slugger baby

one day you got the glory

one day you got none

one day you're a diamond

and then you're a stone

everything can change

in the blink of an eye

so let the good times roll

before we say goodbye, because

sometimes you're

sometimes you're the louisville slugger baby

you and your friend

will come around

are gonna get on down

will come around

or are gonna let me down

if you talk to one another

I'm a hungry man

let me know one way or the other

so I can make my plans

will come around

are gonna get on down

will come around

or are gonna let me down

I relive the situation

still see in in my mind

you got my imagination

working overtime

Tanks TE, I didn't realize the opening I gave you until I read back my post.

I don't know about you Stools but, to me it feels like we're a bunch of DJ's chatting between songs. :D

Sometimes you're the louisville slugger

Sometimes you're the ball

Oh yea. . . I know that tune all too well. B)

Guest BEARDRECH
Interesting article in WSJ, Friday 1/24, re a Japanese hedge fund that lost all it's value ($300 mil.) in only 7 trading days. It was run by a former Lehman Bros. hotshot. Called the Eifuku Master Fund, I suppose it could be phoneticized in English as Ei-fuk-u, which must be how their investors are feeling right now. Is this a great game, or what? :blink:

ill lay odds that there is no word in japanese EI-FUK-U but an invented term that the manager can use in exculpating himself from from any future civil and criminal charges, by him saying :Your honor,i warned them cutomers;like cigaretttes in America.customers are obligated to look at the label; beardrech

In regards to bonds, and in particular treasuries, I too transferred from Vanguard's long term treasury fund into a money market fund today when I saw bonds getting sold off into stockmarket weakness. Looking for an explanation as to why, all I could find was traders were looking for bonds which are safer in times of geopolitical turmoil. No mention as to which ones, though.

I don't know about you Stools but, to me it feels like we're a bunch of DJ's chatting between songs. :D

Music? I can do that. Many of you have probably already heard this... my remix of Abby Joseph Cohen's great and oh-so-accurate market call on 5/16/00 (of course I'm being sarcastic):

Queen of Bull

did ANYTHING go up BIG today?

cacacommodities perchance?

"BIG" is Wall St parlance - N Joisey and Nu Yaaaaawk talk FUR the metaFURically impaired.

Say, there, Wyndy!!!

How 'boud sumpthin' less CYNICAL and JADED.... just FUR a CHANGE, man!??!!!

Even a LAWYER findz yew a bit hard to take day after day after DAY.

Xau DOWN, stox DOWN, bondz DOWN. Whatzan "INVESTOR" to DOO-doo? Gimme shelter!!!

Pretty please???!!!

quote from Mark: << And silver is an even bigger joke. The shares are languishing, and silver is being pushed down again. The big surprise this year will be the explosion in silver, not gold. Too many are shorting silver because of its weakness, yet the supply/demand equation is even more out of whack in favor of the bulls >

Any one mind helping?: Other than PAAS, what are the other silver investments?

For those of you looking for escape from the dollar try these two closed-end funds- FAX and FCO. The first is mostly Australian bonds with a smattering of Asian high yield while the second is composed of Gilts, Canadians, Aussies and a few other high quality countries. Oddly enough, these funds trade at discounts to net asset value and pay decent yields. they are both at or near multi-year highs due to the dollar's collapse.

Archived