Monthly Digger - January 2008

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed,

It will be a Happy half a New Year for the bugs.

I suspect it will be another "Sell in May" year like 2006.

If my count is correct, we're in a very tiny wave 2 of 3 of a possible 5.

The downdraft should be short and sweet---not more than a week or so.

Then buckle up for a real ride up.

Get ready to get long in a big way.

XAU 195.50? We're not going to head there and re-test several times.

We're going to catch our breath in the next week and leave all the onlookers in the dust

Happy New Year to all

I agree with you Bearvest but make it Sell in April

2007 was the first year my 3 Canadians outperformed overwhelmingly my

3 Souths Africans ( probably because of the exchange rate ) anyway no complaints on 2007

For my own benefit, I've taken stock of my long positions in the miners.

I'll share my thoughts with you.

AEM is a market outperformer. A $2.00 daily move in this stock is commonplace.

If you look at a longer term chart, you'll se that it bottomed in late May of 2007, not August 16th.

Between May and August, MACD rose sharply in wave 1 (and what I believed was also waves 2 and 3).

I added long on August 16th, in what I thought was wave 4 or a large irregular correction.

I sold in late Seprember as price had reached into the 50's but MACD had merely reached its July highs.

I put on 2 successful short trades in November at $52 on the 2 unsuccessful attempts to fill the gap. Wach was covered at $48.

Last Wednesday, when Gold broke out, I had my wish list in place.

AEM was first on my list due to the positive MACD divergence.

I had to chase it and was ultimately filled at 52.50.

It fell on Thursday and my Fib time counts called for a market peak on Thurday of Friday. I sld an "in the money call" at 3.60 capturing what I believe will be a significant time premium.

I expect the stock to retace to the low $51 range. It looks like 5 waves are in. Although it and CDE were the only 2 HUI components to rise Monday, I find comfort in the doji in support of my planned execution.

I'll buy back the calls there.

post-1352-1199200983_thumb.jpg

GG:

GG has always been my core holding. I've owned it for several years and got more when it merged with GLG.

On the November 14th gap fill I sold December 35's against part of my position.

I covered the balance of my position in late November.

I was disappointed with MACD, so I sold the stock and bought back all the options in early December at $34. I made 1.57 per option and faced a large capital gain on my core sale.

I relaced it last Wednesday at 34.10. Under Canadian tax law, a sale will be ignored if the security is re-purchased within 30 days.

On Friday, I wrote January 35's on my stock position at an average $1.17.

I expect to re-purchase the calls for 25 cents.

post-1352-1199202952_thumb.jpg

My view of CDE is simply that anything inside a large trading range between $3 and $7 can be out of wack with volume and price as it gets manipulated. What is notable is a supply line break in early November with volume and price. If it was just short covering, then I'd expect a pullback, but if supply was exhausted back in mid August, then it has the potential to rise back to $7 with price and volume out of wack.

That's why I'm a Wackoff trader. :lol:

http://www.StockSharePublishing.com/ChartL..._1199209880.png

If you hold bullion like me (or an ETF like GLD) and pay US taxes, you probably detest the fact that realized gains, long and short-term, are taxed federally at 28% like other collectibles, art and antiques, for instance.

Well, there are bills in both the US House and Senate that would have bullion treated no differently than equities for capital gains tax purposes. These bills have been introduced before and not gotten far but maybe if we make a concerted effort to give 'em an earful, this time could be different.

The bill is worded identically in each house. It's called the Fair Treatment for Precious Metals Investors Act.

The US House bill is H.R. 2883, sponsored by Rep. Shelley Berkley of Nevada. (Is that a mining state? B) )

The US Senate bill is S. 1546, sponsored by Sen. Michael Crapo of Idaho. (I've heard something about mines there, too. :unsure: )

With the gains we bugs anticipate over the next few years, it sure would be a nice time to get this relief.

So, if it's important to you, contact your representative and senators and let them know you care about the issue and want these bills passed.

Please feel free to spread this around to other metals forums.

;)

NEM:

It powers the indices, although ABX now has a significant weight in both XAU and HUI, having closed out its forward book.

Like the indices, it has found that the 50 sma has been a significant challenge.

Like the indices, it has an apparent 5 wave structure since the December lows (an apparent opening diagonal as 4 overlapped 1--not the most bullish of starters.).

A doji for Monday's close.

post-1352-1199246742_thumb.jpg

GOLD and the Miners:

The Miners are, in my opinion, at a very early stage of a correction which, I believe, is wave 2 of 5 up.

GOLD, by contrast, appears to be in a 4th wave correction of an impulse up. In other words, it has not, like the Miners, completed an impulse up.

It could result in an extension of the rally in the Miners.

Or it could result in a small correction to GOLD to the $820- 25 level followed by a huge 5th wave in GOLD and a corresponding rally in wave 3 for the Miners. No one in the Miners is anticipating this. But I've posted my warnings about 5 waves in, a 61.8% correction in many stocks, and the upper resistance at the 50 day line.

Show me anyone who hasn't predicted in his or her 2008 forecasts that GOLD will exceed $850.00 this year.

We Canadians know how to paddle a canoe. And the fisrt thing that you learn is that when everyone leans to the same side, the canoe is succeptible to tipping.

post-1352-1199250187.png

US rocket opening on HUI and XAU after the official stick save on the monthly slow stochs

(note on the chart made yesterday that somebody traded on the first of january starting a red candle :lol:

post-1584-1199285744_thumb.jpg

Archived