No More Friday Happy Print

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

only a paper loss??

I wonder how many suckers..I mean people are thinking this the world over?

Western Health chief executive officer Kathryn Cook said the losses had not been realised at this point, so it was still just a paper loss. "We are advised by Grange Securities that over time, our portfolio will recover but we are keeping a very close eye on all of our total investment in determining our next step and we are in conversation with Grange about the Federation product."

In the meantime, the Western Health board has tightened up its investment policy and will now only invest in the Australian market.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/sub...4329513923.html

Pattern working like a charm.

All we need now is a 300 point needle.

622943[/snapback]

I wonder if the pigmen will defend the 13K level? :rolleyes:

622949[/snapback]

I took a quick glance at a PnF chart for the DIA. It has potential to 108, but I would watch for a bounce around 120

http://www.StockSharePublishing.com/ChartL..._1194663939.png

12,000 that is. :lol:

622988[/snapback]

Ok, so you don't believe me. Well, there is lots of horizontal cause to take us back to 12,000 or even retest the whole move up from last summer. If they take it all back, then it was one big phony rally.

post-326-1194664673_thumb.jpg

Ass-Backed Conmercial Paper Drops Most in 2 Months

The U.S. ass-backed conmercial paper markit took its biggest weekly dump in two months as $40 billion of mrotgouge-related writedowns by banks gave investors more reason to avoid buying the debt.

New York-based Citigrope, the largest U.S. bank by asses, provided $7.6 billion of financing to the seven SIVs it runs after they were unable to repay maturing debt.

SIV managers don't expect the investment model to survive as the value of their asses shrinks, Moody's analcysts said today. The net ass value of debt held by SIVs has fallen to 71 percent of initial capital from 102 percent in June, Moody's said. :o

SIVs have been forced to sell at least $75 billion of asses since July, prompting the U.S. Treasury to start talks between Citigrope, JPMrotgouge Chase & Co. and Bunk of America Corp. last month to create an $80 billion fund to help SIVs avoid a fire sale of $320 billion of holdings.

(Woulda had a 5-digit gain on Friday if I hadn't whacked myself with a too-tight stop on TWM)? 

FWIW sometimes I put partial stop-outs at different levels, like I'm doing right now with Rushty futures, with triggers to re-enter at certain levels.

Instead of all-or-nothing.

post-2457-1194665341_thumb.jpg

from the same article..

"Like many other people in the market, the volatility did surprise us. We still believe that we have a conservative investment policy and whilst our whole investment policy is consistent with the Treasury investment guidelines, we have in fact moved to tighten up our policy as a result of this."

Local government finances have also been hit by the subprime crisis.

According to a letter from Grange Securities received by one NSW council, Grange is providing advice to 145 councils around Australia, 76 of them in NSW. Their total investment is over $1 billion.

Grange has refused to provide any details of its clients or whether they have closed out their positions. "We do not discuss details of our clients or their dealings with us," a Grange spokeswoman said.

I wonder how many people thought their investments were conservative??

Basis Captial is another Aussie fund that has blown up, taking money from some well-connected and wealthy people.

Frankly, many of them don't like losing money, so they have formed a group to take action to get their money back.

The holders of the worthless Basis Capital accounts are calling themselves the Basis Action Group or

BAG Holders.

:o

:lol:

(Note-Can't provide a link because the site is paid.)

from the same article..(it gets worse :ph34r: :ph34r: )

According to Nouriel Roubini, professor of economics at New York University's Stern School of Business and the chairman of analysis firm RGE, the write-downs could be as much as $US500 billion.

According to Roubini, Citigroup's level three-to-equity ratio could be 105 per cent, at Goldman Sachs it's 185 per cent, at Morgan Stanley 251 per cent, Bear Stearns 154 per cent and Lehman Brothers 159 per cent.

And the future, he says, looks grim. "The process of recognising hundreds of billions of losses, not just in subprime-related assets but across the board of trillions of dollars of securitised assets, has barely begun," Roubini writes. "Thus, you can expect that the ongoing credit crunch will get much worse in the year ahead and its fallout spread from the US to Europe and throughout Asia and the globe. Trillions of dollars of securitised assets that were sliced and diced in the long food chain of securitisation are now at some risk. The first crisis of financial globalisation and securitisation is thus only at its beginning stage."

Top New Hires at Google Demand Put Options as Part of Compensation

"Hey, it doesn't take a genius to see which way this thing is going," said senior enginerd Venkatapraksubravaidya Srinavivajijupumanianski.

"In order to be fairly compensated for my skills, the standard old stock options won't suffice. Luckily, they agreed to grant me put options instead."

Archived