IDS World Markets Thurs 18th January 07

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

t?s=^AORD

Attempting a bounce but we're still in the first hour so it's possible it won't pan out. All Ords currently +0.4% with Energy in the lead, +1.1%. There's only one red sector, Utilities -0.4%.

The big miners are up: BHP +0.8% and RIO +1%. Golds tending to an off day so far with only Lihir in the green, +0.7%.

Both the oils are up: Woodside +1.5% and Santos +0.7%.

w?s=^AORD

The action turned into more of an up and sideways move with All Ords closing +0.4%, right where we were in the morning post. IT took over the lead, +1.8% and Energy was second in line at +0.8%. There were two red sectors, Utilities -0.4% and Consumer Discretionary -0.2%.

BHP and RIO managed to stay up, +0.9% and +0.8% but the golds had a volatile day with the three big ones all closing down, especially Newcrest, -4.9%.

In the oils, Woodside did well, +2.5% but Santos lagged somewhat, +0.2%.

Over in Asia, China in a dive, -3.2% but the rest managing to stay afloat.

And on to UK/Europe:

t?s=^FTSE

t?s=^GDAXI

t?s=^FCHI

http://quote.yahoo.com/m2?u

BOJ Keeps Rate Unchanged on Consumer Spending Concern

Jan. 18 (Bloomberg) -- The Bank of Japan held its benchmark interest rate at 0.25 percent, averting a clash with government officials who say household spending and inflation are too weak to withstand higher borrowing costs.

The decision was split six-to-three, the bank said today in Tokyo, prompting traders to bet on a February increase. Board members were divided over the outlook for consumer spending, Governor Toshihiko Fukui said.

Government calls for restraint this week spurred speculation the bank would wait for the release of fourth-quarter data next month to gauge the strength of consumer prices and spending. Fukui plans to raise rates, the lowest among major economies, to head off a repeat of the 1980s investment bubble that triggered a decade of stagnation.

``The impression that they caved to political pressure is unavoidable,'' said Noriko Hama, professor of economics at Doshisha Business School in Kyoto. ``It's not a bad decision, given the statistics, but it certainly does not look good for the BOJ.''

Good Morning!

Welcome to Intraday Stool! Thanks to aussiebear for her daily opening!

You can join the discussion by registering (PG rated user names only, please) and posting here as well.

Registration is easy. Just click the Register link above, enter your email address (which you have the option to keep confidential), and enter a user name. To keep out spammers and scammers, I'll send you an email with a few Monty Python type questions. Just reply with your answers, and I'll approve your registration as soon as I receive your reply.

If you have questions about how to register and post, use the Help link in the menu bar at the top of the page.

If you know others who might be interested in joining us, use the email to a friend link above the thread.

Many tanks for joining us!

Doc

Try the Professional Edition risk free for thirty days. If, within that time you don't find the information helpful, I'll give you a full refund. It's that simple!Click here for more information.

The decision of the BoJ not to raise rates will re-invigorate the Japan carry trade, and possibly trigger another upleg in US stocks. An overnight selloff in the QQQQ on the heels of AAPLs earnings call was abated by the BoJ action. The QQQQ held exactly where it had to to avert a meltdown.

[uK] Investors urged to diversify away from property

Property funds look set to become one of the most favoured destinations for investors? money in 2007 following a bumper year in 2006, financial advisers predict.

Some advisers, however, worry that the double-digit returns these funds provided in the last 12 months could be shortlived and investors would be wise to diversify their portfolios. ?A huge amount of money has gone into commercial property this year and my feeling is that will carry on,? said Mark Dampier, an adviser with Hargreaves Lansdown, the UK broker. ?But I don?t particularly like property. I think it?s overhyped and some of my clients are putting too much money there. Some want to put over 50 per cent of their portfolio into property and that makes me nervous.?

Oz follows the global trend...

HIGHER interest rates are forcing people selling their homes to drop their prices while a rising number of home owners say their mortgage is worth more than their home, a survey has found.

Lower income earners were hit the hardest, with 71 per cent of those earning less than $75,000 struggling with mortgage repayments.

Of those people who had seen the value of their property fall, 32 per cent indicated that their mortgage was now worth more than their home, up from 25 per cent in an August survey.

At least 20 per cent of borrowers from New South Wales and Victoria claimed to use up 60 per cent or more of their total household income on home loan repayments.

Robin-

That's correct about the Fed, but please read yesterday's WSE Pro Fed Report and look at the SOMA chart. Fed back down to the usual lower limit. So now what does the Fed usually do?

Archived