Communication

Good morning, everyone.

Late yesterday I read through Simple Guy's latest LOB thread and, as usual, was blown away by the quality and depth of what he had to share. As I've mentioned before, he's one of the people here that I learn a lot from. I was also very impressed by the contents of a lot of the other posts. And I noticed something else, which brings me to a topic I have talked about previously but will always bear repeating so long as people continue to have different beliefs and points of view (which, IMMVHO, will be at least until the sun goes out and turns the earth into a huge iceball and . . .)

It relates to the communication skills which enable us to agree to disagree and still remain friends. The talent in our community is nothing short (didn't mean that as a pun) of awesome. And disagreements in interpretation of where the u-no-what is going and when and how and which wave count it is, etc., are inevitable. And since the nature of this community is virtual rather than physical it is much, much easier to take something someone else says the wrong way. It's been estimated by some that body language comprises 93% of all communication. Which, if that's true, means we get to work with only the remaining 7%. Well, maybe throw in a few extra % with the availability of the smilie faces that Doc provided. But the point still remains that even if it's entirely unintentional it's still much easier to give offense and cause hurt here than in the so called "real" world.

Which means that in the interests in keeping peace in the family and getting the most out of our collective knowledge, creativity and experience it would behoove us all to keep in mind that it's not only important what we say but how we say it as well, especially when debating someone else's point of view. I always try to keep in mind when communicating here (or elsewhere, for that matter) that once something is said it cannot be unsaid and if I feel that there is a chance that what I'm about to post might be taken the wrong way by another stoolie, out of respect for that other stoolie I will change the wording so that possibility is hopefully eliminated.

bdaycake.gifAnd Happy Birthday to sweefraapp, who celebrated yesterday. :)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here they come to save the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solly upgrades semi equipment sector : Salomon Smith Barney raises their sector weighting on semi equipment to Overweight from Mkt Weight, citing the following factors: INTC's capex reduction now reflected in stock prices; firm believes Q1 orders to still be up 5-15%, setting conditions for equipment stocks to move higher; and 2003 spending budgets in general support 5-10% annual growth. Top picks are AMAT, ACLS, and LRCX.

total idiots

Gladiator's point is very important. I'd just like to add that it works both ways. In other words, not only does it behoove the sender of the communication, but also the receiver, to have a little empathy, and also a thick skin. Even when someone is trying to "stick the needle in," and mostly they're not, but sometimes they are, still, it's up to me how to respond. Like my Dad always says. You gotta be like a duck. Just let it roll off your back.

Of course there's always that 10%. Heh heh.

If you do see a cat fight break out, or if you feel you have been attacked, please use the "Report this post" link at the lower right of each post. I and the moderator will be notified immediately.

If you have a personal beef with someone, the private messenger is there for you to work things out. No need to air your dirty linen in public.

Hallo Stoolheim!!!! :lol:

japanese pumped up dollar a bit 12 hours ago, the must do so, becasue in feb/march period there will be repatriation and the must make the level from which usd/jpy falls a bit higher then now.

DAX also looking good, this skunk is so weak it isnt even funny anymore, ah, no, it is funny! :lol:

this story about the japanese hedge fund "IFukU" which did go bankrupt is quite funny, but

Dec. housing starts up 5.0%

Dec, building permits up 8.2%

Yeah, but the SPY and QQQ went nowhere. Up for a bnef minute and back down to same or lower levels before the numbers came out. I feel sooooooooooo bad.

Rock: How are you doing? I've thought about the housing starts and concluded this has to be bearish. Homes are extremely capital intensive and borrowing 100% of the money to build one is next to impossible. It would seem to me that people who are scared of the market are rapidly as possible, pulling out of the market to buy something "safe". As more homes are started and built more money leaves stocks. Is this a reasonable conclusion? <_< IG

Archived