M2M Memorial Forum Day 8

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regarding the rebuilding efforts it still baffles me that your government wants to rebuild NO.

Yes, I can imagine they will assist the counties rebuilding the infrastructure, main roads, hospitals, etc.. But residential areas ????

What about the principle of ownership society and own responsability.

If people are not/under insured why would the government pay? Will they then also pay damages from smaller storms elsewhere? Or a bushfire?

Why would you ever take insurance?

And what is the incentive to stop building on dangerous places (e.g. beach houses) if the owners get there houses back even if they are not insured.

I quess that if full insurance has to be paid.... the cost for such 'nice view' houses would be prohibitively high.

And also what quality do they want to rebuild? A lot of places I saw on television was not really the highest standard.

Amazing ... amazing.

And one other aspect I still not heard is what to do structurally. May be fix that first otherwise in a couple of years everything build will disappear again.

This is baffling to me too, but like after 9/11, Congress seems to approve all disater related spending - regardless of merit.

The Mississippi delta should be abandoned for human living purposes. On top of that, the spread of pollution and disease makes the whole area a toxic waste dump.

Any opinions on the HGX performance.

I see it trying to sneak up everyday but failing in the process.

And individual builders trading places in strenth and weakness.

MTH kept up pretty well but now appears to start leaving the ledge it jumped on 5 days ago.

But now TOL reletively stable and PHM strong (relatively then :unsure: )

Option games or silence before the slide.

Still do not trust there won't be another engineered bounce.

IF HGX does not rollover later today, I am goin' to seriously consider covering..this looks looks like a big pivot area to me on the indexes, and that 1253 SPX is still out there if we don't breakdown today.

They might do the jam up into TOL and KBH news next week..but if we take out yesterday's pivot low, the bears should be home free..

K Wave Rider,

Did you cover some or all of your home builder shorts today?

OldMan

Ben The Printer's New Plan:

Sept. 15 (Bloomberg) -- President George W. Bush, whose poll ratings are at their lowest ever in the wake of the Hurricane Katrina disaster, will offer a strategy tonight for dealing with housing, health care, education and the economy along the U.S. Gulf Coast.

In a speech from New Orleans, Bush plans to announce ``new initiatives'' for rebuilding areas of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama ravaged by Katrina, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said today, without giving specifics.

``This was a massive storm that will require a massive reconstruction effort,'' McClellan said at the White House.

The president won't detail how much the recovery will cost the government because federal and local officials still are assessing the region's needs, he said. Emergency federal spending totals $62.3 billion so far, and congressional leaders have estimated the price tag may reach $200 billion. Ben Bernanke, chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, said today that the ``substantial'' cost of Katrina will swell the federal budget deficit.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/economy/politics.html

No details = Helicopter drops of blank checks

"Substantial" ??

The last we heard from that moron, the Monday or Tuesday after the storm hit, was that it was "insignificant" and would be easily dealt with.

These guys don't know which side of their forked tongues to speak from next.

And why is no one inquiring as to the utility of rebuilding an undersea city? Does the government have a blank check from its citizens?

Another $5 billion plus in spending passed just today on voice vote. No time to discuss facts.

With this kind of federal spending, is it surprising inflation related investments are hitting highs?

Good post Dr. Bob. Yesterday I finally found out why Southern CA is a Demo stronghold. On the State level census is used to create political divisions. But in Rep. districts there are many more actual voters than in Dem. districts. The difference.....illegal immigrants. In fact actual voters in Dem. areas are 1/2 to 1/3 in number compared to Rep. areas.

Ben The Printer's New Plan:

Sept. 15 (Bloomberg) -- President George W. Bush, whose poll ratings are at their lowest ever in the wake of the Hurricane Katrina disaster, will offer a strategy tonight for dealing with housing, health care, education and the economy along the U.S. Gulf Coast.

In a speech from New Orleans, Bush plans to announce ``new initiatives'' for rebuilding areas of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama ravaged by Katrina, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said today, without giving specifics.

``This was a massive storm that will require a massive reconstruction effort,'' McClellan said at the White House.

The president won't detail how much the recovery will cost the government because federal and local officials still are assessing the region's needs, he said. Emergency federal spending totals $62.3 billion so far, and congressional leaders have estimated the price tag may reach $200 billion. Ben Bernanke, chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, said today that the ``substantial'' cost of Katrina will swell the federal budget deficit.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/economy/politics.html

No details = Helicopter drops of blank checks

"I love the smell of fiat in the morning."---Col. Bernancke

post-2169-1126820966_thumb.jpg

Perhaps Mark went to NO:

The real estate agent has $10 million in the bank, wired by an investor who has instructed her to scoop up houses ? any houses. "Flooding no problem," Farris' newspaper ads advise.

Her backer is a Miami businessman who specializes in buying storm-ravaged property at a deep discount, something that has paid dividends in hurricane-prone Florida. But he may have a harder time finding bargains this time around.

In some ways, Hurricane Katrina seems to have taken a vibrant real estate market and made it hotter. Large sections of the city are underwater, but that's only increasing the demand for dry houses. And in flooded areas, speculators are trying to buy properties on the cheap, hoping that the redevelopment of New Orleans will start a boom.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/20050915...thewaterrecedes

Mark to Market without Mark isn?t the same. Also to be popular here one has to make many bearish calls as possible.? ? IMHO

Hope he comes back or another lost member like so many.

Cmon Mark, we miss you, man...

I second that ...

And although I am mostly bearish ... I do like ... AND NEED .... the bullish input. If only I listened to Mark and some other bulls, I would not have lost my uncashed revenues from the previous drop. Was out to late .... :angry: .

Next time I will try to balance my bearish side. <_<

And I will stop Prechter's subscription. EWI called too many tops and it was almost sure that the drop would continue in wave 3.......

And gold is already in a downmove for months. :angry:

But hey.... in the end it is my responsability to act on info...

so bring it on ....bearish and bullish

The key to remember is that being 'bearish' and truly understanding what it is that is happening right now should NOT be confused with making money trading in the markets.

They must be looked at differently, with a wall in the middle. Most on this board realize and understand the absurdity of the markets.

But never let that get in the way of making money/trading the markets.

Bear population will increase again when the market falls.

For now it's not fashionable to be a bear.

exaxtly. When the market goes down they gonna come back.

I also know when to cover all shorts and go full tits long: When the doomies reign here again. Those who gonna predict that the stock market will gonna be abondend, banks closed, "fiat" paper replaced buy gold and all those stories from the 1930s depression will fill the most space here. Also those folks telling stories about "Illuminates" and secret organisations which reign the planet will come again. When those folks come here again than every healthy man who is short at that time shouild become very very carefull.

Thing is: They wont come until Dow isnt well below 9000. And that could take longer than many bears can stay solvent :lol: :mellow:

Bears really must break the bulls neck, jsut a bit down isnt enough. They msut break them. Break 10k, allow for a retest, punch em in da face, kick it down another 1000 points, allow for a move above 9000 again then kickem so badly in da butt that it gets red like a pavians ass..........

one has the right to dream :lol:

I also know when to cover all shorts and go full tits long: When the doomies reign here again. Those who gonna predict that the stock market will gonna be abondend, banks closed, "fiat" paper replaced buy gold and all those stories from the 1930s depression will fill the most space here. Also those folks telling stories about "Illuminates" and secret organisations which reign the planet will come again. When those folks come here again than every healthy man who is short at that time shouild become very very carefull.

Thing is: They wont come until Dow isnt well below 9000. And that could take longer than many bears can stay solvent :lol: :mellow:

Bears really must break the bulls neck, jsut a bit down isnt enough. They msut break them. Break 10k, allow for a retest, punch em in da face, kick it down another 1000 points, allow for a move above 9000 again then kickem so badly in da butt that it gets red like a pavians ass..........

Foxy

You da man! The next bar fight I get in I'm gonna make sure you're in my corner!

Bung :lol:

Snort-laughed so hard at that last paragraph(wtf is a pavian? German chimp?)

assistant looked in to see if I was ok(guess I'm old & fat enough to be a cardiac/

stroke risk).

Point very valid, tho. Bearishness nearly always at least unfashionable(if not proof

of being part of "Hate America Left!!!" <_< or some such bullshit), & will be most

broadly acceptable near significant low(s)-will be fully embraced only near major, secular(1932-74-82 type)lows. A year, or so, from now......

Is supposed to be a bearish, esp. 'long-term'(counted in years, I guess) board, though.Doesn't mean people can't/shouldn't have a long position(not including

'bearish' longs :blink: , PM's, energy), just seems they ought to expect/advertise

that it's transitory positioning and that they concur that feces and fan shall eventually meet.

Archived