Mark appears to be away, so let's get started.

Benchmark indexes also climbed as Edward Keon, chief investment strategist of Prudential Equity Group LLC, advised investors to put all their money into U.S. equities. He raised his recommended weighting in U.S. stocks to 100 percent from 80 percent and cut bonds to zero from 20 percent.

``Equity markets represent compelling valuations compared to the bond and real estate markets,'' Keon wrote in a note today to clients.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=1..._CKc&refer=home

There you have it. Buy stocks because they are a better value than real estate.

Keon explained on Bloomberg that not only are stocks a better value than RE (which I agree with) but the average stock yields more than the average corporate bond, so companies will buy back their stock. Not necessarily so. Maybe companies that have earnings could, but that eliminates about 99% of the companies on NASDAQ! :P

Seriously, using an average earnings or average PE is misleading. Certain sectors such as energy, have low PEs, while Tech - of course - has high ones. It is quite possible that earnings on energy could advance while tech falls - yet average and total corporate earnings could go up.

The Fed helped out a lot today with a mega repo blast, adding $14.5 billion. It is still unclear what they are up to, but it could have something to do with the G8, or the strong dollar, or just that the Fed wanted to show it was serious about raising rates last week but is still worried about the markets and/or economy. It will take a few more days to see what they are really up to.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big move on OIH today, but Volume was 3.5 millions shares less...not sure what to make of this...

If this is the blowoff, volume doesn't matter. I think OIH goes to 115-122 before an intermediate-term correx sets in. The blowoff, if it occurs, should be fast and furious---2-3 weeks in duration.

Click here

Stoch  looks bullish but it may not be

Feed

My read is that those little guys at the end are gravestone dojis and in the context(the variety of shadows previously shown)of your chart they seem to be very bearish--

Am I mistaken

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: BD Why do you enjoy looking at these Candles? They remind me of those at incurably romantic dinners

Close: Despite another surge in oil prices and a lack of support from bonds, stocks closed near session highs as strong factory orders and an upbeat outlook from Wal-Mart reiterated economic growth, helping every economic sector close to the upside... Just after the market opened, the Commerce Dept. reported a third consecutive monthly increase in factory orders (due largely to a surge in aircraft orders), as May orders rose 2.9% (consensus 3.0%)...

Even though April's increase of 0.9% was downwardly revised to 0.7% and the data are rather predictable given the known surge in commercial aircraft bookings, the largest orders increase (May) in 14 months provided some reassurance that June orders could also be strong and that the second half of 2005 may be even better than the first half... Also helping to offset early weakness, and providing some direction to a market with little in the way of anything earnings-related heading into earnings season, was Wal-Mart's (WMT 49.80 +1.52) raised forecast for June comps growth of 4.5% (from 2-4%)...

Wal-Mart's report, coupled with Walgreen's (WAG 46.70 +0.62) strong same-store sales gain of 7.8% for June, provided further evidence that, even in the face of higher gasoline prices, consumer spending remains on track to support real GDP growth of 3.0% or better... Anticipation of new fund inflows, especially since the first trading day of the month/quarter fell on a Friday prior to a holiday weekend, perhaps also acted as a contributing factor behind today's broad-based advance... Meanwhile, Energy paced the way higher for the second straight session, as oil prices hit the psychological $60/bbl level for the first time in over a week...

=====================

Isn't that "surge" in aircraft orders, in fact, inflated by $6 billion or so in cancelled orders?

I am reading all sorts of crazy RE stories like this one : Hawaii Bubble 2 and am starting to think that anytime the yield curve is not inverted there will be a huge flood of leveraged carry trade money flooding globally to any asset bubble that looks somewhat attractive. It used to be different, money would flow slowly out of the banks into the economy. Sure there were bubbles but there was paperwork, bureacracy, etc in between the fed and the market. Now the credit Tsunami floods out at an ever faster rate as derivatives and leverage pound any market distortion (i.e the yield curve) to smithereens. The economy is starting to consist of people running around with their surfboards (interest only payment option loans) looking for where the credit ocean is going to flood into next.

Archived