Brassieres

From Uncle John's Legendary Lost Bathroom Reader by the Bathroom Readers' Institute, the origin of the brassiere:

Mary Phelps Jacob, a teenage debutante in 1913, wanted to wear a rose-garlanded dress to a party one evening. But, as she later explained, her corset cover "kept peeping through the roses around my bosom."

So she took it off, pinned two handkerchiefs together, and tied them behind her back with some ribbon. "The result was delicious," she later recalled. "I could move much more freely, a nearly naked feeling."

The contraption eventually became known as a brassiere - a name borrowed from the corset cover it replaced. (Jacob later became famous for riding naked through the streets of Paris on an elephant.)

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I shouldn't have taken the day off. Even with the mute on, Crapvision makes me sick! I just wanted the ticker.

BTW Glad, thanks for the update regarding William this morning!

Schaeffer's site was somewhat bullish on IBM yesterday citing high put/call ratio. They were looking at a possible rocket launch over 90. Tried to verify the pc but it looks about even to me. Put weighted heavy below strike and calls weighted heavy over strike. Hummm.

bush couldnt 'CAP' Osama, so now hes cappin the losses for the greatest criminals on earth. I swear, GW, you want the economy to fly? Cut TAXES.....real FREAKING INCOME TAXES by 30 percent for all levels! OOPS, but then Government would have to really shrink, and we all know the rhetoric about smaller govt is just that...."RHETORIC!"

Charliss, thanx for posting ADTN article on this a.m.'s IDS.

So Miss Jacob became famous for riding naked on the back of an elephant?

Reminds me of Harry, who retired to Sarasota but was unhappy because he couldn't seem to make friends. One day he was watching the circus parade (Sarasota is the winter home of the Ringling Bros. Circus) and mentioned his problem to another bystander. Sarcastically, the bystander said, "Why don't you rent a camel and ride it down the street? Then lots of people will pay attention to you."

Poor Harry didn't recognize the sarcasm, and thought this was a fine idea. So he rented a camel and rode it down the street. But, it's hot in Florida, so he stopped at a fast-food restaurant to buy a drink. He tied his camel to a parking meter, went in and bought his drink, but when he returned the camel was gone!

Immediately he called the police. They asked him for a description of the camel. "Oh, let's see, it was about this tall, and brown -- you know, it looked like a camel." The policeman asked Harry if the camel was male or female, and Harry said, "How would I know?" Then suddenly he said, "No, I know -- it was male." Skeptically the cop said, "A minute ago you had no idea, now suddenly you're positive it was male. How do you know that?"

Harry replied, "Because as I was riding down the street I heard a lot of people say, 'Look at the schmuck on that camel!'"

Archived