2004...The Attack of the "Word"

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
r russell once said dollar would find strength as scramble to pay debt off

less dollars around cause of hard time coming down the road

dammed if I know?

Repayment of debt is a transfer of dollars, to the lender, from the debtor. No dollars are lost. ;)

People talk about the large short dollar position, but it appears to me that foreigners have a large long postion to the tune of 1.2 trillion ds and are receiving about 60 billion new ds a month from the US. I wish someone would explain the large short dollar position.

3 AM gold slap-down

down 8 bucks from the close so far

hopefully the mining stocks already "discounted" :lol: some of this

OH NO

I nearly choked on my cornflakes this morning when I saw the devastation in the metals markets.

I JUST KNEW i should have sold the high last week and waited to get in at a better price. Why I am so foolish :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a more serious point, my whole argument here is not whether gold/silver goes up or down but rather it's a dangerous ploy for most people (including myself) to try and trade in/out because most times you'll get it right but the one time you might get it wrong will be the time when the stocks/metals take off, and never give you a chance to get back in.

So the best strategy for most people (unless they have a multi-year profitable history of trading) is to buy and sit tight, knowing that as sure as the sun rises in the east there will be ups and down. But for anyone that's held these stocks for more than 2 years the ups have well compensated for the downs that we've had to endure.

Have a good day everyone.

Were it not for their entertainment value, many of these guys would still be living on our meaniest streets,and they know it.

Don't worry, many of them will be back living on those same streets when the car dealers, rim dealers, hifi dealers, plasma screen dealers, jewellry dealers, women, family, property dealers, and anyone else whose job it is to subtly transer their (sportsman) wealth into their (the dealers) pockets.

For 99% of people you've only got one chance to hit it rich, so don't blow it trying to let everyone know how rich you are.

black "culture"....hmmmm.....

you know, ever since this topic came up, I've been puzzled as to what black or white or purple had to do with it.

the guy acts like a jerk and abuses other people....does it matter what color he is?

WORD!

My point was that this man's rage seems to be just below the surface, not unlike Mike Tyson, who also happens to be of a race other than caucasian, which is also not the point. The point is that if these people were not highly paid celebrity athletes, they'd either be on probation or in jail for violations of LAW. Assault is a crime. When the NBA player in Detroit assaulted a fan last week, why didn't the police immediately handcuff the guy and put him under arrest? Think about it. If any other human in that auditorium dressed in street clothes attacked those fans like that, they'd be facing serious criminal charges.

What's not to get here?

When Tyson believes he can get away with rape because he is above the law, he rapes.

When Michael Jackson believes he can get away with child molestation because he is delusional and somehow immune from our society's laws, he molests (alledgedly).

When corporate CEOs cook the books in order to make their numbers and cash out of their stock options, only to leave their employees and shareholders with a broken company when the music stops, it's criminal.

I take offense to any "class" of humans who perceive themselves to be somehow immune to the laws the rest of us are bound by (particularly when they are earning or stealing fantastic sums) - whether their names are Latrell Sprewell or Ken Lay. Their race is irrelevant.

This is not about sports...it's about laws - and people who may actually be a danger to society.

Strangulation is not a socially acceptable response to frustration, and neither is yelling "Suck My Dick!" in a room full of families.

Spot on,Plunger.Society is becoming very anti-social.

There's an investigation going on here(NL) into gang rape by groups of kids that single out a girl,abduct her,gang-rape her and then take her home in time for dinner with her parents.The guys are mostly 10-16 years old and not only do they have no remorse--they don't even think it's wrong.Meanwhile the girl(often 13-15 years old) spends the rest of her life in psychiatric treatment.

So,where do they get this behaviour from and think it's ok---TV heroes amongst other IMO.

"..re: Positive thinking..  "Complete and utter horseshit. "Positive thinking" was an idea invented to sell books and seminars and self help courses"  ...Doc

Sorry Doc, can't agree with you there.    A Positive Attitude state of mind is HUGE in determining the outcome of events.  I've seen it impact business, health, sports and personal relationships...  Its kind of like Faith, you still have to do your "preparation (Works)" part.

I'm sorry you  (feel) have never experienced its undeniable magic.

It's true, in my own case, I have never seen any positive results from thinking positive. In fact my greatest inspirations, the things that have worked for me have come from the despair engendered by failure, from the pits of defeatism. Usually it is at that moment, when I have become totally convinced that all is well and truly lost, that my best ideas have come. Ideas borne of desperation, and failure, hopelessness and despondency.

I can give you examples of famous negative thinkers who achieved great success too. There was a program on Larry David, Jerry Seinfeld's partner, the other night. The guy is a deeply negative thinker. But he's a comic genius.

It's about talent and persistence. Without both, failure is guaranteed. Positive thinkers who succeed are blessed with great talent. The majority end up living a life of strife, struggle, mediocrity, and failure.

Hundreds of millions of Think and Grow Rich, Power of Positive Thinking type books, courses, and seminars have been sold in the US in the last 30 years. How is it then that we as a society are more in debt than ever, that our financial markets run on the basis of fantasy and subterfuge, that a greater percentage of the population is living in poverty, that we no longer manufacture and sell anything of value to the rest of the world, that we are embroiled in an unwinnable war, making more and more enemies all the time, that our dollar has sunk to near the lowest level in its history, that 40% of the population cannot afford to go to the doctor, that we have a higher percentage of our population in prison than ever before, that we have endemic problems with addictions to drugs, alcohol and gambling, that we have the greatest percentage of obesity than any country in the world, that we are one of the most violent countries on earth, that our economy is a hollowed out shell, based on the biggest Pobnzi scheme in history, that we face the greatest financial crisis in the history of the world as a result of the greatest bubble the world has ever seen.

This is where all that positive thinking has gotten us as a society.

Spot on,Plunger.Society is becoming very anti-social.

There's an investigation going on here(NL) into gang rape by groups of kids that single out a girl,abduct her,gang-rape her and then take her home in time for dinner with her parents.The guys are mostly 10-16 years old and not only do they have no remorse--they don't even think it's wrong.Meanwhile the girl(often 13-15 years old) spends the rest of her life in psychiatric treatment.

So,where do they get this behaviour from and think it's ok---TV heroes amongst other IMO.

NBA Hall Of Famer Bill walton just repeated EXACTLY what I had said above on CNBS. He says the players who attacked the fans should be banned for life from basketball, and that you need to make up your mind when you enter the league that you will NEVER attack a fan for any reason whatsoever. Fan misbehavior is not new...and he endured it his entire career. He said "they pay to be entertained by us and within reason, they can behave however they wish and if they get out of line, there are security guards to deal with them."

White america broods over the bad boys of the NBA- I think it makes the sport more interesting-his old coach in Oakland was a total a-hole ,thought he could say anything he wanted to his players and they had to take it- It was good for them-

I always liked Sprewell as a player, was and still is a terrific player isn't that enough-i mean so he makes 14 million whats the problem-only church going? kids qualify :rolleyes:

My point was just that $14 Million a year doesn't, apparently, make him happy.

Maybe he'll get a new contract for $20 Million a year.

But he'll still be no Julius Erving, in more ways than one.

Lots of people want to make more money, making them happy or not I don't know but the media does present young black males generally in a negative frame. They like the good ones-quiet, smile-nice to people.

I like your posts :rolleyes: Shorty- I just happen to like Sprewell probably the only guy on the planet: LOL

While at work last night eeking out his meager living, Spreewell hollared "SUCK MY DICK" to a female fan in the stands, and he did so loudly enough for it to be heard by plenty of people, and the television microphones. What type of behavior would be required for you to admit that this guy just might have some antisocial behaviorial issues, which, if exhibited by any other human of any race or gender in any other line of work would result in immediate termination?

He's not a God, he's not above the law. He's just a pro athlete and he gets paid to perform under the rules of his league, which he voilates continually...and to do so FOR THE FANS.

If that woman brought her own daughter to the game, and the daughter witnessed this verbal assault on her mother, by a man who she PAID to entertain her on the basketball court, do you see any problem here?

Does he need to shoot someone for you to get it?

in the 1950's i used to listen to Dizzy Dean announce baseball games-Dizzy was a real person, drank way to much, plenty of women plus he did not speak the english language perfectly. For that having poor english he was banned from broadcasting to protect america's children.

I don't want the media protecting me from the likes of Dizzy Dean and Sprewell.

Your big worry about sprewell saying something awful to a WHITE women, well just a few years ago he would have been hung. Now though white america worried about their jobs and life style get a black basketball player to be the target of their rage. ;)

Bingo. Spreewell is no Jack Johnson or Rueben Carter, but white fans' expectations that black athletes owe them civil behaviour shocks me. Were it not for their entertainment value, many of these guys would still be living on our meaniest streets,and they know it. If you don't like rock and roll then listen to classical and if you don't like black culture then stick to ice hockey.

Latrell Sprewell doesn't owe me anything.

Permit me to toss my two cents in

==No,A penny for your thought s Yes"----Oh alright,2 cents we're in an Inflation

So go ahead

==There are two phases of history that are currently out of synch and which asynchronicity will I feel have a tragic outcome---

Come with me to yesteryear to better understand the preterminal phase of social civility we now undergoing

To the person saying that Sprewell,50 or more years ago ,would have been found hanging from a lamppost for doing what he did is no exxageration--and because of these endemic homocidal regulatory principles the typical "Negro" wound up shuffling and grinning like Step'an'fetchit" for fear that one mistep in certain circumstances would----(fill in the blanks) and this role played out by millions of blacks some of whom literally towered in hight and strength over white mem inferior to them in strenght

Meanwhile thew average white person fearful of his racial co-religionists went along qand many took advantage of the false generalization typifying the homicidal reputation of the caucasians--

Years go by and civilization begins to smooth out some of the differences between the races until we arrive at Blacks attaining some of the highest positions in the land

Now during this period two training programs among many others were being introduced some by carrot and some by the stick--one teaching the white man htat the old Imperious rascist sh*t was passe and that we must root out all the demeaning stereotypes of the opposed race--

For the whites started to be rather courteous and conjoined with powerful political forces set loose conjoined with guilt you began to get process known as "Taming of the BeasT"

Meanwile the heretofore Black slave,subservient and shuffling jiving and shucking to an almost sickening degree caught a toehold of dignity and began his psychological alpine climb to equality--During this period he was taught how to assert himself and ingeneral this was a healthy thing; there were some like Sprewell,nay rather far in excess of the Sprewells,who like the previous whites began to atke advantage of the diminishing white mans power--some even considered them to be Kozynskied,denatured,metrosexualised shuffling jive ass imitators of archaic black stereotypes

You see this exchange of virtues and vices nightly on the tv in shitcoms,commercials ete,c etc--it continally breeds on an increasingly larger and larger scale the seething hatreds: on a scale which I'm afraid to guess; all of it disguised under a prevalent pose or veneer of civility

We,I suggest, have like the Jews in Europe,during the early 20th century have reached the 150 year crossover where the delicate blue line overcomes the pastel red

This is the "Change of Phase" that becomes the horrible precursor to race war---where ancient and undeservedly resurrected images begin populate the average mind --and envy begins to ripen--

Join the above to a declining economy where social indignities combine with impverishment and you've got a occktail calle d Bitches Brew with the Devil as bartender

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: All the above id a Bearish take merely designed to make us beware of what may happen--it is not designed to be self-fullfilling but to alter the very possibility of its outcome

Tennis anyone????

Incidentally do you see cycle theory omnipresent here???

Example Number One?Oil goes from 20 to 50 a barrel and the market rallies for 19 months without pause or correction. Oil then falls 5 dollars a barrel and the market skies even more the day it occurs because it is ?discounting? the fall in crude. All the while, transportation stocks have been in a parabolic rise in anticipation of the market ?discounting? the break that?s already been ?discounted? for several months. See?To take into consideration beforehand; to anticipate and form conclusions concerning (an event)

Ag

This part is too funny....

Ag

Your analysis of antics with semantics is as beneficial to investing mankind as modern hygeine was to national health

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: It all depends what you mean when you say:Iz you Iz you aint my Baby???

When Clinton infected the copula of logic he either did us a service in warning us about the "bewitchment of language" an example in linguistic hygeine like AG's or crushed the last remnants of ontological certainty for the masses--

Archived