B4 The Bell Thursday November 4

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How did exit polls start avalanche of inaccuracy?

It was America's worst-kept secret.

The information even was powerful enough to move financial markets.

And, as it turns out, it wasn't true.

John Kerry was not beating President Bush in Ohio and Florida and on the cusp of becoming the new leader of the free world ? despite what confidential exit-poll results widely distributed on the Internet on Tuesday seemed to indicate.

In the 2000 election, scoop-hungry TV networks used exit polls to call the key state of Florida for eventual loser Al Gore.

This year, it was the bloggers' turn to be led astray. A few influential Web sites got hold of poll results showing Kerry with a small lead in key battleground states, word spread at hyper-speed, and soon political insiders were convinced that Kerry was going to be the president-elect.

What went wrong with those exit polls?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/poli...xitpolls04.html

It wasn't the exit poll's fault.

You see, the exit polls were taken before the 'plumbers' started their work.

One of us or both of us may be right...or it could just be that there was a vast right wing coincidence.

From today's local NJ newspaper Star Ledger

OTTAWA

Disgruntled Democrats seeking a safe Canadian haven following

President Bush's re-election shouldn't pack their bags just yet.

Canadian officials made clear yesterday that any US citizen so fed up

with Bush that they want to make a fresh start up north would have to

stand in line like any other would-be immigrants -

a wait that can take up to a year.

"You just can't come into Canada and say 'I'm going to stay here'.

In other words, there has to be an application. There has to be a reason

why the person is coming to Canada" said immigration ministry

spokeswoman Maria Iadinardi.

Machine: You called it to a tee when you claimed shrub wins cheney told me so. I beleive you said something to the effect ; I dont like him but I believe him.//// Dozer: aint it great being a libertarian ? We get piss off both the conservatives and the liberals. ANyway, remember the true defintion of a classic liberal?///// Yobob: As always excellent, well said.

I went to the PIMCO website and stand corrected. With additional classes of shares the fund size is near $6 billion. Still not large by fund standards.

For Drano, and anybody else who might care, do your due diligence. Here's the fund page:

http://pimcofunds.com/mutualFunds/profile/...jsp?fundClass=A

Thank you very much, Bearbones, a most interesting prospect indeed.

Good Morning Crew.. Well the Astro's say it is reversal time, Gold is confirming it..earlier on Schlock Box..when they went to the pits it was to John Brady of Man Financial who like Cashin is one of the last honest men...he said we are extended here look for a pullback. I see more than a pullback the International Community is both perplexed and pissed at Shrubs re-election and when that happens they sell and the $ is crumbling as we speak. Window at the bell a biggie for 90 minutes, Helmets on, Buckle up! ;)

anybody buying this metals breakout?

My futures account is already loaded.

Scanning all silver stocks right now for the best cycles.

IMA(IMR.v) looks best so far for a pop short-term.

I also really like the unhedged FSR.to. They also convert their cash into silver bullion.

Good Morning Crew.. Well the Astro's say it is reversal time, Gold is confirming it..earlier on Schlock Box..when they went to the pits it was to John Brady of Man Financial who like Cashin is one of the last honest men...he said we are extended here look for a pullback.  I see more than a pullback the International Community is both perplexed and pissed at Shrubs re-election and when that happens they sell and the $ is crumbling as we speak.  Window at the bell a biggie for 90 minutes, Helmets on, Buckle up! ;)

Past perfromance indicates that a crumbling doolar induces higher equity prices.....or should I expect this correlation to tamper off at some point?

PS I've been sleeping with my helmet on lately :lol:

Occasionally, justice is served.

November 4, 2004 -- The first criminal convictions came yesterday in the Enron Corp. energy scandal ? hitting four ex-Merrill Lynch executives and one former finance executive at the now-collapsed Enron.

A federal jury deliberated 21 hours in Houston before delivering its verdicts on conspiracy and fraud charges involved in a scam Enron used to rig its profits.

A sixth defendant, former Enron in-house accountant Shelia Kahanek, was acquitted because she insisted in testimony that she repeatedly spoke up against the fraud scheme to her colleagues, who ignored her.

The cooked-books fraud involved $7 million, a relatively modest amount when compared to the $68 billion wipeout that hit Enron's stock after the scam was revealed. More than 5,000 jobs disappeared and $800 million was lost in pensioners' investments.

The jury convicted former Enron finance director Dan Boyle and former Merrill Lynch bankers Daniel Bayly, Robert Furst, William Fuhs and James Brown for their parts in what prosecutors said was a bogus deal to inflate Enron profits through sham investments in Nigerian barges.

Defendants face anywhere from 5 to 30 years in prison, depending on the severity of their charges. Boyle, who was convicted for lying to a U.S. Senate panel probing Enron's scandal, faces 5 years in prison.

This crime didn't pay

Archived