B4 The Bell Thursday November 4

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone following the Vioxx thing? It's back in the news.

Turns out it was a contributing factor in 27.000 heart attacks, with some deaths, and this was known in 2000. The headlines are making it sound like Merck "did it", but a quick glance at the body copy sounds more like the -FDA- supervisors obstructed the release of negative reports.

could get interesting...

This is long - I apologize, but I think it's important. came in an email from pal in VietNam

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/1104-38.htm

We are not the only ones who think it was stolen. Exit polls are haywire from actual results but only in e voting states. Well we knew that in 2002, didn't we - Georgia, Nebraska. Bev Harris is filing a freedom of information act request. good luck.

This is the email:

Like you, I'm in mourning over the outcome of the election. This election was lost the day the Mass. Supreme Court came down on the side of gay marriage (and let's remember that Kerry is Massachusetts).

My experience as a participant in the annual convention of the Christian Coalition, which was held in DC in late September, leads me to the conclusion that gay marriage was THE issue that ensured Kerry's defeat. In a report I wrote after the convention, I commented that the war in Iraq, terrorism, health care, the economy, education, etc. were never mentioned. Social/cultural issues were their only concerns, and the mantra was, "Marriage is between one man and one woman."

Evil genius Karl Rove picked up on this conviction and ran with it.

Eleven states put a gay marriage referendum on the ballot, thereby guaranteeing that the evangelicals would turn out in unprecedented numbers to vote against it and, at the same time, cast their votes for Bush, who, late in the game, shifted from saying gay marriage was an issue for states to decide to backing a constitutional amendment to prevent gay marriage. Rove, who had consistently maintained that four million evangelicals hadn't voted in the last election, vowed he was going to get them to the polls this time around. And that's just what he did, with the help of fundamentalist Christians and some (by no means all) Catholic bishops and priests.

The consequence is that Bush owes his second term to the evangelicals, and I predict he's going to go gangbusters to satisfy their demands.

So, look for an attempt to put a "pro-life" justice, or two or three, on the Supreme Court, for starters. Look for more "faith-based" initiatives. His success in promoting this agenda will be boosted by the fact that all of the new Republican members of both the House and the Senate are far right "Christians."

We're in for a helluva ride!

Here's the average IQ by state according to the Ravens Advanced Progressive Matrices. This comparison is drawn by Dave Friedel, Jr.

Draw your own conclusions about education vs. votes.

AVG IQ AVG Income '04 Electoral

(1) Connecticut..................113 $26,979 Kerry

(2) Massachusetts................111 $24,059 Kerry

(3) New Jersey...................111 $26,457 Kerry

(4) New York.....................109 $23,534 Kerry

(5) Rhode Island.................107 $20,299 Kerry

(6) Hawaii.......................106 $21,218 Kerry

(7) Maryland.....................105 $22,974 Kerry

(8) New Hampshire................105 $22,934 Kerry

(9) Illinois.....................104 $21,608 Kerry

(10) Delaware....................103 $21,451 Kerry

(11) Minnesota...................102 $20,049 Kerry

(12) Vermont.....................102 $18,834 Kerry

(13) Washington..................102 $20,398 Kerry

(14) California..................101 $21,278 Kerry

(15) Pennsylvania................101 $20,253 Kerry

(16) Maine.......................100 $18,226 Kerry

(17) Wisconsin...................100 $18,727 Kerry

(18) Virginia....................100 $20,629 Bush

(19) Iowa.........................99 $18,287 Kerry

(20) Oregon.......................99 $18,202 Kerry

(21) Colorado.....................99 $20,124 Bush

(22) Michigan.....................99 $19,508 Bush

(23) Nevada.......................99 $20,266 Bush

(24) Ohio.........................99 $18,624 Bush

(25) Alaska.......................98 $21,603 Bush

(26) Florida......................98 $19,397 Bush

(27) Missouri.....................98 $18,835 Bush

(28) Kansas.......................96 $19,376 Bush

(29) Nebraska.....................95 $19,084 Bush

(30) Arizona......................94 $17,119 Bush

(31) Indiana......................94 $18,043 Bush

(32) Tennessee....................94 $17,341 Bush

(33) North Carolina...............93 $17,667 Bush

(34) West Virginia................93 $15,065 Bush

(35) Arkansas.....................92 $15,439 Bush

(36) Georgia......................92 $18,130 Bush

(37) Kentucky.....................92 $16,534 Bush

(38) New Mexico...................92 $15,353 Bush

(39) North Dakota.................92 $16,854 Bush

(40) Texas........................92 $17,892 Bush

(41) Alabama......................90 $16,220 Bush

(42) Louisiana....................90 $15,712 Bush

(43) Montana......................90 $16,062 Bush

(44) Oklahoma.....................90 $16,198 Bush

(45) South Dakota.................90 $16,558 Bush

(46) South Carolina...............89 $15,989 Bush

(47) Wyoming......................89 $17,423 Bush

(48) Idaho........................87 $16,067 Bush

(49) Utah.........................87 $15,325 Bush

(50) Mississippi..................85 $14,088 Bush

Bush..... IQ: 91

Kerry.... IQ: 128

• Retarded is considered 75-85.

http://www.blackboxvoting.org/

Black Box Voting has taken the position that fraud took place in the 2004 election through electronic voting machines. We base this on hard evidence, documents obtained in public records requests, inside information, and other data indicative of manipulation of electronic voting systems. What we do not know is the specific scope of the fraud. We are working now to compile the proof, based not on soft evidence -- red flags, exit polls -- but core documents obtained by Black Box Voting in the most massive Freedom of Information action in history.

Guest Icky Twerp

The only consolation I could give my daughter was that it seems a lot like the 2nd nixon term. . .just when everybody tho't they'd gotten away with the biggest steal of the century, watergate blew up. There's so many fertile places for litigal remedies.

But you can shore see why the criminals abhor the world court.

Yeah threadbare both of your last 2 posts are right on.

Ditto.

China today actually partially reversed some exchange controls. They don't mind accumulating more dollars - they will just spend them to buy oil and other commodities all the faster.

We are looking for a formal devaluation of the dollar, we actually might get just continued inflation - so Snowjob can keep saying the dollar is strong because of 'demand' and we will make 'smooth' transitions in the current account deficit.

What is going to really be smooth is the way the US standard of living will drop without anyone noticing.

from Butter's post:

Here's the average IQ by state according to the Ravens Advanced Progressive Matrices. This comparison is drawn by Dave Friedel, Jr.

Draw your own conclusions about education vs. votes.

-----------

Butter, maybe I've just been up too long today, but I'm missing something here. What conclusion can I draw about education and votes from a list of IQ by state? Isn't IQ a measure of native intelligence, not education ? That's what I always thought anyway...

Or, if IQ -is- dependent on education, then that list could be interpreted in a -lot- of ways. E.g., that those states at the bottom were the ones that got the least edu-bucks in, say, the Klinton years, so maybe they're mad and voted such ? Or, that those states have the poorest avg. calories/day diets and their kids did the worst on tests? Or, those states' children work more hours on the farm than other states, so did less prep for tests? Or, the kids in the bottom states spent more effort on learning the skills which will be more valuable in the coming depression, such as hunting, farming, equipment repair, logging, woodworking, etc., and so didn't do as well as the kids with an education that preps them for IQ tests?

I'm just not seeing how that list defines any clear connection between IQ and education, or education and votes, or whatever.

hmmm....and would a state-by-state list be meaningful anyway? Seems that there would be significant differences in education and votes, and many other demographic measures, between urban and rural areas -within- each state. It is -certainly- that way in Oregon...very much so. Vast differences between Portland-Salem, and the entire rest of the state.

tanks

Archived