B4 The Bell Thursday November 4

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How did exit polls start avalanche of inaccuracy?

It was America's worst-kept secret.

The information even was powerful enough to move financial markets.

And, as it turns out, it wasn't true.

John Kerry was not beating President Bush in Ohio and Florida and on the cusp of becoming the new leader of the free world ? despite what confidential exit-poll results widely distributed on the Internet on Tuesday seemed to indicate.

In the 2000 election, scoop-hungry TV networks used exit polls to call the key state of Florida for eventual loser Al Gore.

This year, it was the bloggers' turn to be led astray. A few influential Web sites got hold of poll results showing Kerry with a small lead in key battleground states, word spread at hyper-speed, and soon political insiders were convinced that Kerry was going to be the president-elect.

What went wrong with those exit polls?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/poli...xitpolls04.html

It wasn't the exit poll's fault.

You see, the exit polls were taken before the 'plumbers' started their work.

From the Office of Workforce Security

UI Weekly Claims

In the week ending Oct. 30, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 332,000, a decrease of 19,000 from the previous week's revised figure of 351,000. The 4-week moving average was 342,000, a decrease of 1,500 from the previous week's revised average of 343,500.

post-20-1099576912_thumb.gif

Good morning everyone.

Help please. I need your opinionated. LOL

I am back online after having had an executable program called iexplore, which I picked up at Weather.com, invade my machine, and then prevented it from connecting to the internet.

I recently installed proxomitron which blocks ads before they get into my computer, and it works great, but I then thought I could uninstall my Spybot Search And Destroy program. Wrong! That little mis-calculation cost me over a hundred bucks.

Microsoft wants me to install the latest upgrades. Should I? I'm a little concerned about Big Brother, and I've also read that others have upgraded which then caused problems. For the rest of today I'm going to ignore Weather.com, and try to find another weather site if there is a suitable one. Anybody have one they recommend? Or should I just upgrade, and then use Weather.com?

Thanks for any help or opinions you can give me.

B.S.

Have had many unresolved problens after installing Windows XP SP-2.

Wierd things and you will have to manage the built-in firewall.

Good morning everyone.

Help please. I need your opinionated. LOL

I am back online after having had an executable program called iexplore, which I picked up at Weather.com, invade my machine, and then prevented it from connecting to the internet.

I recently installed proxomitron which blocks ads before they get into my computer, and it works great, but I then thought I could uninstall my Spybot Search And Destroy program. Wrong! That little mis-calculation cost me over a hundred bucks.

Microsoft wants me to install the latest upgrades. Should I? I'm a little concerned about Big Brother, and I've also read that others have upgraded which then caused problems. For the rest of today I'm going to ignore Weather.com, and try to find another weather site if there is a suitable one. Anybody have one they recommend? Or should I just upgrade, and then use Weather.com?

Thanks for any help or opinions you can give me.

B.S.

I can only offer my personal experience.

I did install the Microsoft updates without a problem. They do use more disc space so make sure you have enough.

Also, I no longer use Microsoft Explorer unless I am forced to. Two weeks ago I downloaded Firefox, a browser developed by the open source group Mozilla. It is free and available at mozilla.org. Since then my spyware program has not detected any new data miners or spyware. The browser itself is faster and easier to use although not every site supports it.

For weather info I use http://www.wunderground.com.

Good luck!

From Briefing, LennarCorp forecasts delay in approx. 600 home deliveries into fiscal 2005:

"Although the homebuilding industry has remained strong, during recent months the following have occurred: significant hurricane activity in Florida affecting both new orders and production, electrical connection and production delays in the Las Vegas market and softer market conditions in Southern California and Las Vegas. As a result of these factors, the Company believes that approximately 600 home deliveries scheduled for the Company's fourth quarter of 2004 may be delayed into fiscal 2005." Given a significant number of deliveries are scheduled to close near the end of fiscal 2004, the Company cannot quantify the combined impact that any of these factors will have on its results for the fourth quarter of 2004.

Significant hurricane activity?? Hows this affect SoCal??...... <_<

LEN currently down 5%

B.S.

iexplore is actually MSFT's browser, Internet Explorer. So if you got rid of that you will probably need to restore it. Perhaps MSFT is saying installing the latest updates is a way to do that. But from what I've heard, you can run into lots of trouble installing XP SP2 (if that's what you mean by the latest updates) if you have spyware or adware still on your computer. Best to get rid of that first. I've had no major problems with SP2, but many here will tell you to avoid it. If you really want to do that, you might be able to do a "repair" with your originally windows CD. The problem is if you don't suck it up and install SP2, I don't think you can get security updates from the Windows Update site.

Paul

Bearbones, if you know this off the top of your head: being too lazy to check myself -- does PCRDX do futures trading with the commodes, or??? Are they only U.S. based or are they doing stuff in world markets? And, do they do metals? Thanks for any info.

Here's a profile from YAHOO.com

"The fund normally invests in commodity-linked derivative instruments backed by a portfolio of inflation-indexed securities and other fixed income instruments. It may invest up to 10% of assets in high yield securities. The fund may also invest up to 20% of assets in securities denominated in foreign currencies."

Archived