B4 The Bell Humpday 3

So many good posts this AM on target, (esp xenophobia and urban/rural divide)

Live in urban Ohio, busy yesterday as a Dem counter- challenger -counter in that I was trained to leave voters alone, focus solely on witnessing of challenges.

At polls from start- thing most interesting to me is that after filling out (punch-card) ballots, voters almost hesitated to give them up to be put in the box, wanting perhaps to carry them atop the mountain, to be sure it (and their voice) was safe.

Most understood the beauty of voting and theoretical importance of their vote.

We had 70% turnout (more than doubled re: 2000). Needless to say, a blue dot on the map.

Big deal about provisional voting is that about 5% of votes in my polling place were provisional (mostly within-precinct moves). Also, some precincts had changed between PRIMARIES and ELECTION. BTW, most people automatically pull out drivers licenses (not necessary) to show their names, incl. those who voted provisional.

PS Repub counterpart managed to annoy the presiding judge and pollworkers to the extent that at least one call was made to Board of Elections and this person was threatened with expulsion. More interesting, this person (and perhaps, challengers in all counties) came w/detailed list of every registered voter in precinct, and left w/data denoting every person who voted and the number of ballot he/she cast. I presume this was used at HQ for early detailing of who showed up and expected breakdown of vote.

:(

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fornicate it. I am sick of letting these bastards bring me down. I will just do my own thing, hang out with my family ( which I am way too lucky to have) drink some good wine, and try to have a few laughs. AS far as the election, hell they were one in the same, so folks don;t let the shrub bring you down.

Solid, Soup. Gonna take your advice. Thanks, man.

I really want to get out, but my wife refuses to spend the winter back in Canada. :lol: 

For those of you in foreign outposts like Canada, New York, and California, in order to understand this country, you need to take a ride on the back roads of central and north Florida, or Indiana, or Kansas.  There's an ocean of inbred stupidity and xenophobia out there. The 11 states voting to outlaw gay marriage is one thing, but they also voted to deny legal recognition to OPPOSITE SEX civil unions.  The US is a nation of cave dwelling religious zealots and mystics.  Clearly the theory of evolution is wrong. This proves it.

OK Doc :blink: :blink:

I think what youv'e said is endemic of a larger problem and a larger divide between rural american and the metropolitan metrosexual, heres a response from dozer last night concerning why high density areas lean left and rural areas more to the right....

The much-talked about "divide" IS very much an urban / rural chasm.

Rural society has been decimated by the policies and laws of (mainly dem)

urbanites; with the city crowds able to outvote the sparse out-areas every

single time. This creates the dem/rep = urban/rural split. The feeling around

here is that urban folks couldn't care less about rural people, or the damage

done. It's been going on so long now, there's a pretty deep anger at city folk

built up.

Heck, even here on the normally-respectful stool, I saw a post like "don't

worry

about a few drunks from Hicksville". "Hicksville"....as if rural folks weren't

even worth considering, not even of the same genetic stock with the same IQ,

perceptivity, etc. as urbans.

Great way to make friends and influence voters, eh?

That's the divide in this country. It's real plain on the county maps...was

very

evident in 2000 too. The media, for their own reasons, always hold up the

"bible

thumper" aspect as the reason for the divide; but that's really only a small

part of it...a result more than a cause. A bigger part is land and property

rights infringements...and now threatening such life-basic things like water

rights. Lots of other issues....infringement of guaranteed liberties...firearms

of course...destruction of resource jobs, "free" trade-agreements decimating

rural manufacturing while paper-pusher city gigs skyrocket and pay 100k/yr

w/bloated pensions/bennies, etc., etc..

Run the demographics for 'liberal' and 'conservative' against a county

map....it'll correlate almost perfectly with urban / rural. I've met very few

in

this area who actually lapprove of the war....they're just deathly afraid of

even deeper destruction of their livelihoods and communities if they ever voted

dem.

Heck Lucid, they're just as much in fear for their future as we here are. Every

bit so. But as long as urban dems paint them as retarded religious-freak

monsters, and carry that subconcious attitude, I can't see how this society

will

ever heal. There's got to be -mutual- respect to breach that divide.

Having grown up in hicksville usa, I don't understand a word he's talking about. IMHO, it's all about taxes and religion. Paying an extra $100 in taxes a year is a big deal to them. And, there are more deeply religious folk in rural areas as opposed to metro areas. And they're afraid of gay marriage.

:unsure:

I agree, Bearhugs.

The trailer park people aren't moved by arcane political issues. To them it's about guns, abortion, Religion, taxes, gays, immigrants, and blacks.

Property rights is an issue only to those with substantial property, which is a very small group.

so the $USD went from 85.6 to 84.8

and CEF is down a penny.?  Hummmmm....

CEF is a double bet, metals and currency exchange. Puzzles me why it's down -- except that I own a chunk, so I guess the Drano Kiss of Death is still operative.

Because CAD is up. CEF trades based on POG:CAD.

Oh. :o Arrgh.

On the other hand I'm looking at it as a long-term hold.

and CEF is down a penny. Hummmmm....

CEF is a double bet, metals and currency exchange. Puzzles me why it's down -- except that I own a chunk, so I guess the Drano Kiss of Death is still operative.

CEF continues to trade at a large premium to its asset value. Here is the premium history from cefa.com

Current (as of 11/2/2004): 9.28%

YTD Min: 11.13%

YTD Max: 14.94%

YTD Avg: 13.26%

5-yr Avg: 4.74%

10-yr Avg: 1.85%

I keep thinking that alternatives will become available (gold ETF) and shrink the discount.

Archived