B4 The Bell Tuezelday October 19

And with that I'm outahere permanently

Ciao Stoolies and may the farts be with you.

Say it isn't so Yo............ :cry:

I love your posts...........

DITTO.

Reading Yobob's rants was how I first got hooked on CapitalStool (back when he had his own board). Count me as a deflationist too.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well Bobby isn't the only deflationist, I too am in that camp and I think we are seeing it now and have been for sometime.  Other than energy there is nothing you can't buy cheaper now than you could 3 years ago.  There is no pricing power.  Earnings stay up as volumes fall because plants are closed, wages are cut and people are canned-won't last!

Not quite true, B -- I've been watching the "cola index." You used to be able to get a 24-pack for about 50-80 cents cheaper than the cheapest advertised sale prices I've seen recently. This happened about a month ago, suddenly cola was much more expensive.

Any talk about Cost Of Living Adjustment must include cola !

Ah...the cola index!

I've noticed how expensive Coke has gotten, but I've also noticed the stock of CCE has tanked. It's one thing to push for higher prices, it's quite another to make it stick. As American consumers seek low cost substitutes for their former favorite brands, the brands will either respond with lower prices or live with lower sales volumes.

The airlines are predominantly a commodity. Any brand differentiation they enjoy has been tied to their frequent flyer programs, which are increasingly dubious as bankruptcies loom on the horizon. Only a reduction in supply of available seats can provide for the opportunity for the airlines to increase prices, and still then, price remains the only significant differentiator, so they may still find themsleves in a money losing business provided consumer's willingness-to-pay does not improve.

Hotels have enjoyed some pricing power, but as you can see by the above airline scenario, that makes sense. People are moving around the country at costs lower than any time in history, and need to stay somewhere. The airlines are effectively subsidizing the hotel, restaurant, car rental, and leisure sector to some extent.

Well Bobby isn't the only deflationist, I too am in that camp and I think we are seeing it now and have been for sometime. Other than energy there is nothing you can't buy cheaper now than you could 3 years ago. There is no pricing power. Earnings stay up as volumes fall because plants are closed, wages are cut and people are canned-won't last!

Brian, I beg to differ. This article will explain it much better.

City Auctions Taxi Medallion For $360,000

http://1010wins.com/topstories/winstopstor..._293122431.html

And you probably thought a seat on the exchange was expensive!

machine: re dividends. Ibm, okay I am supposed to believer that biz is great, okay why does book value stagnate and why won't they pay a decent dividend? Of course we know why, becasue they use all their so called earnings to buy back stock so company insiders can cash out of their options. Pretty simple, yet no one on bubblevision ever talks about the simple stuff. Wonder why?

Jimi- Yes you are correct your health insurance is thru the roof and your College tuition as well. Up here our Health premiums are peanuts, Tuition up here has risen and is as you say an exception. Deflation however is very evident in food, consumer goods, Auto's and wages. Here the rising looney is dropping import prices like a stone.

With all the sadness and trauma going on in the world at the moment, it is worth reflecting on the death of an important person which went almost unnoticed last week.

Larry La Prise, the man who wrote "The Hokey Pokey", died peacefully at age 93. The most traumatic part for his family was getting him into the coffin. They put his left leg in, and then the trouble started.

A frightening thought...

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

The implications are too staggering to contemplate.

Massive overthinking!

One more thought, machinehead

Inflation will kill the Government and banksters assets.

The Treasury Department's 2003 annual report shows that the govt's assets are quite small.

The gov't is a lot like Fannie Mae ... slinging around enormous cash flows on a tiny equity base.

"Living hand to mouth," you might call it ... if you wanted to be uncharitable. :lol:

The govt's largest liabilities are the unfunded Soc Sec and Medicare promises ... $50 trillion or so.

Those liabilities can best be reduced by paying them in devalued currency. That's why inflation is said to benefit debtors. The gov't is the biggest debtor by far.

Deflation would leave the gov't with a horde of retirees still expecting a $1,200/month check from Soc Sec ... even though declining prices might justify slashing that check to $700/month.

Retirees would revolt against this ... just as labor revolted against wage cuts in past deflationary episodes.

The notion that income should always rise is so deeply ingrained, that people get angry when you suggest they should be docked because prices have fallen.

Deflation leads to revolution ... the gov't knows and fears this ... and seeks to postpone it :o

"Deflation leads to revolution ... the gov't knows and fears this ... and seeks to postpone it " Machine: which begs the question can they pull it off? Not a trick question as I do not know. I am however in the camp ( perhaps wrongly) that says they can not.

Everybody and their brother thinks the fed can bail us out and we will not need to go thru the neccesary cleansing process. Sorry, once again I have to fade the consensus. Not saying I will be right and they wrong, just something in my dna that makes me run from crowds.

Archived