B4 The Bell Thursday October 14

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are photographs of President Bush from the first debate and he's got some kinda lump in the back of his coat, and the rumors are flying that he had a special radio receiver and he was getting answers from someone off stage. Wow, it's like he's back at Yale."

? David Letterman

Consumers, Start Praying

"Yes, we are being paid more for the gas we sell, but it is costing us more in every way to get it out of the ground and to the wellhead. And then, it goes into the gathering system and a lot of our gas is piped directly to an electric utility for base-load power production. Unbelievable! We go to all that work and expense to find, drill, and produce that gas, and then it gets burned up to spin a turbine to push electrons through a power line, with all the net-energy loss that occurs along the way. And then people use the electricity to keep the lights on in empty rooms. Our economy is just chock-a-block with the wrong economic incentives. And most people don't even have a clue. Our grandchildren will hate us."

:o :o

Re- that post this morning about the Snow Man raiding the Federal Employee's Pension Fund so as to not hit the debt ceiling- that to me is un freaking believable-if a Pol in Canada tried that he would be hanging upside down from a lamp post! ;)

im not sure all our lamp posts are actually paid for :lol: ... we could pop for some feathers, but tar is becoming harder to find.

dont worry about the pension fund, its insured by the now bankrupt PBGC (sp?). is this a great country... or what? :lol:

Gasoline $1.879 in MN, another contested state.

Sorry to be a stickler but your assertion that gas prices are somewhat manipulated in closely contested states got me intrigued and I decided to do some research to see if it is really occurring. The AAA provides a list of daily gasoline prices nationally by state and this is what I determined. In the ten most hotly contested battleground states: FL, PA,MN,OH,WI,NM,MI,NH,WV,IA the average price was $1.987. In states that are solidly Bush which aren't contested at all, which include AL,AL,AR,GA,ID,IN,KS,KY,LA,MS,MT,ND,NE,OK,SC,TX,UT,VA,WY. The average price in these states is $1.940. The national average is $1.989.

http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/sbsavg.asp

Sorry to be a stickler but your assertion that gas prices are somewhat manipulated in closely contested states got me intrigued and I decided to do some research to see if it is really occurring. The AAA provides a list of daily gasoline prices nationally by state and this is what I determined. In the ten most hotly contested battleground states: FL, PA,MN,OH,WI,NM,MI,NH,WV,IA the average price was $1.987. In states that are solidly Bush which aren't contested at all, which include AL,AL,AR,GA,ID,IN,KS,KY,LA,MS,MT,ND,NE,OK,SC,TX,UT,VA,WY. The average price in these states is $1.940. The national average is $1.989.

Whoa, that's not MY contention. Someone else posted it, and I was merely providing information. I myself actually do not believe it.

Ummm.....even if this was the case, this is the wrong way to go about trying to document it. Taxes per gallon vary wildly from state to state. You would have to look at percentage changes over the last few months to come up with anything meaningful. A snapshot of prices from various states doesn't tell us anything.

Archived