B4 The Bell, Moonday,October 11

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not true Doc- the CPP or Canada Pension Plan is a self funding Fund like an IRA if you will that is administered by a Crown Corp that is semi independant of Govt. what you get out is what you have paid in over your working years and has been matched by the Government. The allowable investments by the plan are very Conservative and it has a large surplus. The old age Pension which kicks in at 65 and is universal is minimal but it too has a surplus. The CPP automatically claws back payments if your income is over a certain threshold. Private pensions i.e. Companies must by law be fully funded and if there is a Bankruptcy the first call on assets is the Companies pension fund. Medicare is either covered by your Companies Pension fund or if you fall below a certain income level the Government.

LINK  There are American Pols who know what is happening and tell it like it is.  This is the BEST piece ever written on what lies ahead-Dear God!  You MUST read this!

Do not let the Asians see that report.

The Asians will NOT continue to support this if the US consumer goes down. They will have problems of their own.

The poor guy is slipping of the ledge right now.

C'mon guys throw him a rope.

Buy a new Sentra or something.

Not true Doc- the CPP or Canada Pension Plan is a self funding Fund like an IRA if you will that is administered by a Crown Corp that is semi independant of Govt. what you get out is what you have paid in over your working years and has been matched by the Government. The allowable investments by the plan are very Conservative and it has a large surplus. The old age Pension which kicks in at 65 and is universal is minimal but it too has a surplus. The CPP automatically claws back payments if your income is over a certain threshold. Private pensions i.e. Companies must by law be fully funded and if there is a Bankruptcy the first call on assets is the Companies pension fund. Medicare is either covered by your Companies Pension fund or if you fall below a certain income level the Government.

Sounds good to me. Where's my skates?

Brisbane, I hear you about the American stereotype. I'd venture to say less than half of Americans conform in any way to that type. It's still too many. We have simple people in Canada too, but politicians generally don't pander to them in the same way. My husband and I have had an ongoing argument for the last 7 or 8 years. He thinks in the event of an economic downturn the politics of the country would trend toward the left. I thought they would trend toward the right. Think I'm going to win that argument, no matter who gets in.

Thread- my .02...

Can quibble re: more or less than half conform to that type (have not seen the prog- verboten ;) ). I'm 'bout half simple meself. Say enough that it's no surprise when encountering the type; going by the more reliable current polls & the 2000 election popular vote, about half.

At the bottom of the socio-econ pile, that half seems mostly composed of adherents on religious grounds; at the upper reaches(including wannabees), mostly believers on Bush economic policy. What counts, of course, is relative numbers vs location by state & therefore the wretched electoral votes. My state went for Gore by 366 votes- popular vote 286,417 R/ 286,783 D, for 5 electoral votes out of 538. Other demographics (education, occupation) seem to me to make a hash of sorting out who's going to vote for who.

So I guess I'm saying presenting a handful of quick portraits in a TV program says more about the producers editing criteria than teasing out the essential nature of the Merkin electorate. From my POV, it is a dismal sitch, dismaying, embarassing, and unremediable in less than a generation.

Re: left or right trend in hard times- IMHO, it will depend on how fast/ how hard the downturn. Don't think the bulk of citizens give a rats patoot about civil rights/ Bill of Rights- there is a very vocal concerned cohort, but severely in the minority. Downturn hard but gradual w/ increasing erosion of middle class position (several years?) = left; down fast (a quarter or two) but not so severe/ light-at-end-of-tunnel BS not an occasion for universal black humor = fear, faint hope & extra helpings of spin will herd people to right, as it has for the last 4 years. As my ex would say, "It's my opinion, and it's very right!" :rolleyes:

LINK? There are American Pols who know what is happening and tell it like it is.? This is the BEST piece ever written on what lies ahead-Dear God!? You MUST read this!

Do not let the Asians see that report.

The Asians will NOT continue to support this if the US consumer goes down. They will have problems of their own.

The poor guy is slipping of the ledge right now.

C'mon guys throw him a rope.

Buy a new Sentra or something.

I would not be surprised if someone in China was now reading capitalstool.com or the dailyreconing, etc., and thinking let's finish buying oil, gold, commodities, etc., before these dollars lose more of their value.

The public of Japan are more willing to go down with the sinking USS Dolar - well as long as their retirees don't start actually needing those yen in their Postal Savings account. And they may one day - 0.01% interest rates doesn't help their retirement accounts much.

Regardless of who wins, Kerry or Bush, there will be money to be made in the markets.

All of us will simply have to adapt to "the new regime" whatever it is, and keep our eye on the bouncing ball.

Political trends are largely outside of most people's control (small fry like us), so we need to roll with the punches.

A lot of people didn't like the changes in Russia or Argentina, but look how well the markets performed..............

Japanese and Korean chip stocks getting mauled in Asia......

The SOX is going to be a good short for a few months, as long as Kathie Lee is not "resubstantiated" tomorrow night.

Archived