B4 The Bell Humpday September 29

Hiding Bear

MSNBC has made a violent move to the right - hours on 'we must demand the resignation of Dan Rather' . still. a glowing testament to American public education.

Yeah - that's correct - but I think the real problem is that most of the country doesn't watch the news. The handful that do are not watching for information but rather for entertainment - they don't really care what the guy is saying as long as he's doing a WWE in your face bit for them.

I never watch any news - I prefer to read it. I don't watch it because years ago I got fed up with them "making up the news". For example - Harried Anchorperson at site of car wreck. "Just down the street from this wreck is school and just hours ago that school yard was filled with happy playing children. Just think what might have happened...blah blah blah". In other words they make it up. Well the media has been doing that for years and years yet you never hear anyone complain about it (unless you are unfortunate enough to be sitting at my dinner table). So next time you listen to the news or watch it on TV just pay attention to how they are "making it up." I think you will be surprised.

As far as moving to the right - the country started that after the 60's. It has nothing to do with the media just the fact that America and Americans are extremely immature people who absolutely refuse to grow up. I always find it funny that we try to instruct Europe and Asia what is best for them and we are mere children in the eyes of the world. Spoiled children at that.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another instalment from one of my favourite Canadian journalists, sounding quite stoolish this time:

The Poisoned Chalice - Gwynne Dyer

A far-sighted Democratic strategist might therefore conclude that this is the wrong year to win the presidency. Democrats don't want the blame for an impending economic crisis that is mostly due to the Bush tax cuts - and since their chosen candidate has no strategy for pulling out of Iraq, why not let the Republicans collect the blame for that debacle, too?

There is going to be a smash, it's too late to avoid it, let the other lot stay in the driver's seat for now. We'll win next time and stay in power for a generation. But there is no sign that anybody in the Democratic Party is making such a calculation: they are genuinely committed to fighting Bush.

Madame,

I have been saying this very thing for months now. But I am afraid that the author is correct and that Kerry is going to get unprecedented support. The Dems are so angry still over 2000 that I have a feeling the vote is going to be quite large come November with a lot of Dem voters coming out of the woodwork to vote for their guy. On the other hand I think the Repubs believe that they are going to win and a lot of them are liable to stay home and not bother.

I find it hard to believe some polls that say here in NJ the race is close. Well it is close, but I think still can't imagine GWB winning here this year. Even some Repubs don't like the way GWB manhandled former NJ governor Whitman. She is partly to blame, letting loyalty get the better of herself when she let the EPA give it's seal of approval to the WTC area after 9/11 by saying it was 'safe'. It was the opposite - hazardous to your health.

As for the rest of country, if the election were held today, I think GWB would win.

But Soros and some others may get the US$ devaluation wagon in progress before the election - which would upset all markets.

?  A Quinnipiac University poll released last week showed Kerry and Bush in a dead heat, with both candidates getting 48 percent of the New Jersey vote. An Eagleton/Star Ledger poll this month found Kerry holding to a four-point lead.

And on Tuesday, a poll released by a Republican firm showed Kerry-Edwards at 45 percent and Bush-Cheney at 44 percent, with 11 percent undecided. The numbers were startling considering that Democrat Al Gore won the state by 16 points over Bush in 2000.

"Just based on the recent history I would think that Kerry would eke out a victory," said David Johnson, CEO of Strategic Vision, an Atlanta-based company that conducted the poll. "If Kerry doesn't win New Jersey, it's over."

State Republican leaders said Edwards' appearance is a sign that New Jersey is not a lock for Kerry.

"Not even a smooth trial lawyer like John Edwards can convince voters that John Kerry is stronger than President Bush on terrorism," said state Sen. Joseph Kyrillos, the Republican state chairman.

Rep. Bill Pascrell Jr., D-Paterson, co-chairman of Kerry's New Jersey campaign, said the fund-raiser in East Brunswick had been scheduled weeks ago, but the rally was a chance to increase the poll numbers. "I think it's good to energize people," he said from Washington, D.C. "It's clear we took a dip in the polls."

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=e...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXky

Mars - MSNBC had a neutral stance until recently. then they introduced a couple of Bill O' Reilly style yahoos to lure the Fox viewers. It is not a good sign

I agree. But are they entertaining - that is truly the only thing that matters. If they are not they won't last.

I never watch any news - I prefer to read it.

This year I have been paying more attention to the radio for news & background, and am very impressed. CBC is quite good, I think.

But I always laugh when I see those ridiculous spots on TV advertising some eye-catching sad luck story that's going to be on the "news" the following day, or even worse, the following week. That should be the biggest clue that the public can't get news from the tv. Now I see some Canadian tv is picking up this silly trick too.

And speaking of ridiculous, why do they always devote so many hours and hours of dramatic hurricane coverage, with the reporter standing on some rainy windswept balcony, fighting the wind. I know, I know, it's all about ratings, and you need drama to get those. But really, the sound and picture quality would be a whole lot better from inside a shelter.

OT- Any stoolie go to their 20th H.S. reunion? How was it? I have mine on Friday and want to know what to expect.

TE,

I had mine 2 weeks ago.I was not going to go due to short notice and also getting 2 new puppies that week.My friends told me I had to.

I had so much fun and am still talking daily to many.My good friends were dieing of laughter due to the fact that so many people were asking who I was because they never bothered to notice me.I brought old pics and a friend brought an old yearbook and it was great!

Have fun!!

Ouch :D

OK, I'm a nut. We all know that. However, the Shrub hunta is starting to show some signs of over-confidence. Never underestimate your enemy. When things feel too good to be true, they are!! Underdogs are loved for a good reason. I guess we will see. BTW, Shrub is a pussy, posing, prick with ears. I'm a reg. Repub so spare me the wrath of Karl.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._kerry_cheney_2

OK, I'm a nut. We all know that. However, the Shrub hunta is starting to show some signs of over-confidence. Never underestimate your enemy. When things feel too good to be true, they are!! Underdogs are loved for a good reason. I guess we will see. BTW, Shrub is a pussy, posing, prick with ears. I'm a reg. Repub so spare me the wrath of Karl.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._kerry_cheney_2

My fellow Republican I feel your pain.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My Class of 1959 produced a Left of Centre B.C. Premier (read Goobenor) a right of centre opposition leader ( me) and the current CEO of Shrubs business council. Now the first two guys disagreed on what time the moon came up BUT were always friends. The 3rd fella who is still a friend of mine is a multi millionaire several times over (who in my opinion has lost his way) he asked me at the reunion how far down I thought the Dow could go when I said below 6,000 he became visibly upset and said "no way" I in turn said "way"! ;)

Archived