B4 The Bell Tuezelday Sptember 28

thesun

Question for the real estate hounds out there.

As a temporary resident of the U.S. for the past 5 years, I have been renting. One of the benefits of my rental agreement is that a percentage of my rent is set aside for me to use as a downpayment on the purchase of a house when I leave. If I don't buy a house, I lose the money. I didn't think about it much when I signed the agreement, but I just checked and the balance is now approx. $5,000.00.

So my question is, would it be worth it to buy a pre-construction house using this money as the down payment, rent it out for a year, then flip it? I'm not a "real estate guy", but I hate to let that money vanish without using it.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Martina Navratalova snapping one on, Trader? Is that tennis parlance for putting a spin on a tennis ball?

No, threadbare, its what some people do when they no longer focus on the balls.

Martina Navratalova snapping one on, Trader? Is that tennis parlance for putting a spin on a tennis ball?

No, threadbare, its what some people do when they no longer focus on the balls.

:D :D :D

Out of the park home run Sherlock!!!

Thread...think sexual preferences...and picture a medical procedure which might best be referred to as an

ADDADICKTOME

Let's go over the board guidelines again.

Please do not hotlink to any image wider than 550 pixels. Just paste the url to the page.  And any time you post an original graphic or original text copied directly from another website, (snippet only, of course) please place a link to the source in you post.

Tanks.

Yes, Sir,

When you speaks, we listen...

catphoto.jpg

chart source http://www.1930shanghai.com/items/297867/i...store.html#item

So, now I am viewed as Chairman Mao.

An attempt at humor, I hope and presume.

Question for the real estate hounds out there.

As a temporary resident of the U.S. for the past 5 years, I have been renting. One of the benefits of my rental agreement is that a percentage of my rent is set aside for me to use as a downpayment on the purchase of a house when I leave. If I don't buy a house, I lose the money. I didn't think about it much when I signed the agreement, but I just checked and the balance is now approx. $5,000.00.

So my question is, would it be worth it to buy a pre-construction house using this money as the down payment, rent it out for a year, then flip it? I'm not a "real estate guy", but I hate to let that money vanish without using it.

Not if it's in Florida, Twig.

Actually no matter where it is, $5,000 isn't even relevant in the consideration. Building a home is a monumental pain in the ass that will positively run over budget and beyond deadline, and "flipping" infers profit...which depends on a whole lot of things going right.

Twig - Lots of real estate discussions on that other forum - Pidgeon Drop just bought into the frenzy in Arizona - maybe ask him. maybe Mark who is in CA. A year sounds like way too long to hold real estate at this point. you could be buying a depreciating asset in that kind of time frame - but wtfdik

Thanks Butters, I definitely have experience buying depreciating assets <_<

Mid March 2000 - opened my first brokerage account and deposited all of my savings. Then sat on it for a week before loading up on tech stocks the day before the crash began. Held on for more than a year before finally throwing in the towel. I'll never forget that anguish. And I'll never buy and hold again.

The day I buy a house will be THE top in the real estate market. Still tempting though.

Guest libertas
My question is do you not have an independant election entity that looks after registration???...and why do you have to register as a Dem, Pub or independant, if that was a requirement here there would be an instant revolution???...Lastly debates -here again we have an Independant body that sets the rules not the Pol's, and pretty much everything goes, it is great theatre, all parties are participants including the Bloc head seperatists and our wing nut Lefties...why do the pol's make the Debate rules??  I ask these questions seriously cuz I don't the answers.

There is no independent election entity. State and Federal elections above are run by the State government, usually the Secretary of State's department. Sec'y of State is a partisan elected position and of course many of the election jobs are plums at his/her disposal. Unlike Canada, the notion of an independent civil service is practically nonexistent due to patronage appointments. So the Secretary of State is a key player in maintaining the two-party system by keeping as many competing candidates as possible off the ballot. Generally there is a mutual understanding between the Dems and the Repubs that they don't want any interference.

You do not have to register your party, but unlike in Canada, where the parties conduct the process of nominating candidates in whatever manner they feel appropriate, in the U.S. you have this thing called a primary which is the election run by the State to choose the candidates from each party. So you need to register as a Republican to participate in the Republican primary (in many states, anyway, some do have so-called open primaries).

The US does not have debates. They have pre-scripted sound bite opportunities that are called debates. The pols make the debate rules because they can, and because they do not want third parties or non-scripted things happening.

You are probably confused by the US calling itself a democracy. It is not, it is a cross between an oligarchy and a hereditary aristocracy. It seems to be moving in the direction of a theocracy.

...why do the pol's make the Debate rules?? I ask these questions seriously cuz I don't the answers.

Brian - The League of Women Voters used to run the debates in the US. They were fair and allowed several third parties to participate. The ladies had great questions and there were good rebuttals. When Bush 1 lost the debate to Clinton that ended. Now the fascists control everything and we are forked.

Why do they make the stupid rules we read about earlier?

Because they can and Americans are stupid, spoiled, brainwashed and lazy for the most part, with the emphasis on stupid. My opine. :cry:

Archived