B4 the Bell Humpday, Sept. 22, 2004

Guest yobob1

Over and above just the disgust I feel over an attack on Butters,

here is a key point:

Most of us give our opinions here (for what those are worth LOL)

Most of us copy snippets and provide links to info derived by others.

But Butters was actually conducting an ORIGINAL piece of research and

looking into questions that we probably need answers to.

I was amazed at some of the places she sought data and surprised, too,

at the places other posters suggested she look. I wouldn't have thought

up those things on my own.

Any piece of research can be torn apart while its in the infancy stages,

friendly critiques along the way are helpful.

But what kind of a numb-nuts retard would spend hours and hours tearing

someone down before they even had finished their research?

Somebody that thinks he/she is smarter than everybody else?

But isn't sure? so he has to try to prove it all the time?

Will we ever know: How many Americans move to live in other countries each year?

It could be an important barometer to watch.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doc If I find out I will help you skin the son of a bitch-Lila is one of our treasures on this board. Folks pls e -mail Butters and ask her to come back as we did Sleddy. I am growing tired as Doc is of people who just can't control themselves. The Lady like Sleddy has a point of view which she like he is free to express-things are about to change believe it!

Hey,

Wait a minute Brian.

Did you just say I was " Lady like Sleddy" ?

:lol:

Lila, Please come back!!!

beardrech

Can we also disinter the bones of that super-pragmatist? Lyndon P Johnson and scatter them to the wind???

good idea. I was wondering how to deal with that

colossal shithead.

Ma fellow ammerikans.

I liked Lady Bird though. Native flowers in the freeway medians.

oUR ONLY HOPE IS abandoning male leadership and feminizing the Polity

What we need is a woman president

http://www4.neilrogers.com/features/2004092201.html

Naders former vp - Winona - said that the 7 nations allowed only women to elect the leaders.

wonmug
I hope you have not suffered as a result of that service.

It screws up you life - uh - mine I mean. That and the agent orange.

don't ever use the VA hospital unless you have to.

what do you feel would have to happen for the generation of those who served in Nam (including those who didn't) to understand the reality of that war?

Short answer - Hang kissinger in townsquare. Is McNamara still around - get him too, rummy of course and who else - oh - chainKnee.

Appreciate the concern.

CHKP - comes up on several short searches - hmmm

Tanks, Depends; realize it was a rather nebulous question, vaguely stated.

The critturs you mentioned, the responsible parties & members of that club, will never have to answer in any way for their actions- witness Kissenger. Still up to nefarious crap. Saw an interview w/ McNamara on Charley Rose (PBS) about his role- was saying what a huge mistake it all was, mea culpa, yadayada- & was asked what he had to say the present fubar- refused to say a word, wouldn't be proper- might be tossed out the club, ya know. Criminal bastards, psychopaths and proud of it.

Paul Bremer, our wonderous CPA administrator in Iraq is a Kissinger protege.

Did anybody besides me get the idea that Bremer's objectives were NOT

about the reconstruction of Iraq, but perhaps about something else?

Never ever have I seen a group of gov't workers fail so badly in implementing

what was a rather straightforward course of action.

The Oil-for-Food program was already in there doing reconstruction so its

not like nobody knew what was there and what needed fixing.

Iraqi people still don't have drinkable water and reliable electricity.

But Halliburton and friends have sure done some great studies on it.

WHEN will the people here wake up and see that the people there are NOT

getting the help we promised them.?

The SPR---Bush's Magic bullet----but he can only use it once

Oil Dips as U.S. Considers SPR Loan

Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:53 AM ET

By Tanya Pang

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Oil prices fell on Thursday on expectations that the United States might loan some crude to U.S. refiners from its strategic petroleum reserve after weather-related disruptions led to a big dip in supplies.

A government source said on Wednesday two U.S. refiners had requested loans of crude oil from the reserve after Hurricane Ivan slowed oil imports into the world's biggest consumer and disrupted offshore production in the Gulf of Mexico.

U.S. light crude dipped to a low at $47.74 a barrel after striking a peak at $48.65 on Wednesday on data that showed a steep fall in U.S. inventories. The peak was less than $1 from the Aug. 20 all-time high at $49.40.

At 12:47 a.m. EDT, U.S. crude was down 44 cents at $47.91, while London's Brent crude slipped 33 cents to $44.60 a barrel.

"The market is concerned that there will be a release of SPR oil. Washington could announce it on Thursday. The stocks are for emergency use and that's what we have now," said a broker based in New York.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?t...storyID=6311211

(from Aug. 20)

U.S. Should Tap Strategic Petroleum Reserve at $50, Yamani Says

Aug. 20 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. should use its Strategic Petroleum Reserve if oil prices rally to $50 a barrel, a situation that would constitute an ``emergency,'' former Saudi Arabian Oil Minister Sheikh Zaki Yamani said.

Asked in a telephone interview from Sardinia, Italy, whether the U.S. should use the stockpiles, Yamani said, ``They have to, unless they are not unhappy with present prices. If they have a long-term policy of reducing dependency on Middle East oil, high prices are a way to do it.''

Oil prices have jumped 50 percent this year on concern about disruptions to supplies and a lack of spare production capacity amid record demand growth. The have climbed to records every day except one since July and reached $48.98 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange in after-hours electronic trading today.

The U.S. held 666 million barrels of oil in underground caverns in Texas and Louisiana as of Aug. 13. President George W. Bush, who has said the stockpiles should only be used in the event of an energy emergency, plans to fill the deposits to their capacity of 700 million barrels.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=1...tlAlaw&refer=us

Probe Examining Fannie's Promises

Top Executives Are Called Into Question

By Kathleen Day

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, September 23, 2004; Page E01

Fannie Mae chief executive Franklin D. Raines invited reporters to his Wisconsin Avenue headquarters a year ago to complain good-naturedly that recent disclosures of accounting manipulations at smaller rival Freddie Mac had unjustly hurt his company.

"I've jokingly said to friends that I now know what the definition of collateral damage is, and we have suffered a lot of that, I think unfairly," Raines said. "Unlike Freddie Mac, we didn't do any of these things."

Now, the credibility of Raines -- and Fannie Mae Chief Financial Officer J. Timothy Howard -- is being challenged, after yesterday's release of a report by the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight and news that securities regulators are probing whether Fannie Mae manipulated its financial statements. The probe is also focusing on whether results may have been structured to meet earnings targets that in turn triggered millions of dollars in bonuses for Raines and other top managers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2004Sep22.html

By David Henry

Fannie Mae: Too-Smooth Operator

Creative accounting evened out fluctuating quarterly earnings, concludes a report that will fuel calls for change at the mortgage giant

Suspicion that mortgage-finance giant Fannie Mae is really a leveraged hedge fund in disguise is bound to grow following the Sept. 22 release of a report by the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight that is critical of its accounting practices.

The 211-page (Report of Findings to Date Special Examination of Fannie Mae) concludes that Fannie Mae (FNM ) executives have nurtured a corporate culture and accounting system to hide the real ups and downs of businesses under a veneer of smooth and steady quarterly earnings. "The desire by management to minimize earnings volatility was a central organizing principle in the development of key accounting policies," the report says. That attitude is the opposite of the spirit of accounting standards that aim to have companies accurately portray their businesses for the good, bad, and ugly.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflas..._2964_db016.htm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

September 22, 2004 Contact: Corinne Russell

www.ofheo.gov

Statement of OFHEO Director Armando Falcon, Jr. Regarding Fannie Mae Accounting Review

?OFHEO has met with the Board of Directors of Fannie Mae and presented them with the findings to date of our accounting review.

?Now that the Board has had an opportunity to review these findings, I am today releasing the report to the public. We are working with the Board to resolve the issues raised in the examination.?

NOTE:

The full document (Report of Findings to Date Special Examination of Fannie Mae) is available electronically at: http://www.ofheo.gov/media/pdf/FNMfindingstodate17sept04.pdf

http://www.ofheo.gov/News.asp?FormMode=Release&ID=185

Today's deportation of Cat Stevens / Yusuf Islam is another fascist signifier ... free countries don't restrict the entry of artists, writers and musicians that they disapprove of.

Some earlier posted that Cat Stevens / Yusuf Islam had endorsed the call for the death of Salman Rushdie, but that does not appear to be the case.

That was Huey9.Don't know where he got it.

TE:What's happened to Butterfield then?

Reading through the B4 thread the morning(European time) after,I have to say that you guys/gals are just fantastic.So varied and interesting--have to stop myself getting addicted :rolleyes:

Archived