B4 the Bell, Weakender

Guest yobob1

People have managed to maintain their standard of living by creating two pay check families and taking on tremendous debt in the last three decades. It would seem that we can't extend ourselves further. But I wonder. How can purchasing power drop in a market so sensitive to the demands of the consumer? I suspect the market place will turn a deaf ear to any consumer who hasn't got his wife AND all his children working. All dogs will serve a utilitarian purpose. Small lap dogs and cats will have long since been eaten.

Everything will change. I was only joking a little about the working children. If Bush gets back in, I wouldn't be surprised to see children employed in coal mines. Idle hands are the devil's playthings, after all. It'll be like Dicken's England with Nintendo--but only one Nintendo per neighbourhood. All hail the oligarchy, and oligopsonies.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Ivan's current forecast track remains the same, I will be heading home Sunday AM. Our neighborhood got electricity back yesterday. If all goes well I will be home Monday evening. Will not be in Stooltrading Monday if we leave tomorrow.

Just saw an advertisement for the new movie Ladder 49 - for the 49th time I think. I am offended by the blatant attempt by John Travolta to capitalize on the heroism of the firemen lost on 9/11. While most decent people see bravery and selfless sacrifice for others, Travolta sees an opportunity to make some easy cash and swoops in like a vulture - with a carefully timed movie release. I call for him to donate the profits of his movie to families of the 9/11 victims - firemen and civilian. Capitalism must have its limits.

Given that sort of situation I believe that long before the dollar loses 40% of its value the foreign banks will intervene in the market place as a group to maintain the dollars current relationship with their currencies. They have printing presses too.

Now this is where it gets flaky (as if it hasn't up till now). If you act to debase all currencies an equivalent amount as they relate to one another what you have done is really nothing except add more of the currencies into the mix. But the fact is you are holding contracts that can be perpetually rolled over and never exercised. So what you are really doing is holding each others currency hostage in order to keep the playing field level for all of the major players and damn the little guys.

What do you think Japan and China are doing now? Why are they buying so many treasuries? Why is the current account deficit of the USA so big?

Foreign countries are already intervening to keep the dollar up. It is not a future scenario. It is what is happening right now.

"To destroy it, first, to strengthen it"

This is a direct translation from an ancient Chinese old saying. Even ordinary Chinese can not grasp the true meaning without further explanation.

when you stir enemy's nerve system, your enemy put himself in high alert status. then eventually into exhaustive state. sometimes you do not need to do a final hit, your enemy collpase.

A not perfect example it the collapse of USSR.

Bin Laden could use the same logic un-intentionally.

now, when your enemy see you "strengthen yourself" voluntarily, he smiles and he will buy just a "bit small force", he let your "self-awareness" to build more counter force..... How to avoid "rat eat bait so rat die" requires wisdom, not blind brave.

If you refuse or reject the above Don't cry to me about it, I can't change the truth...And your rejection or refusal is the truth...

I feel it is my responsibility as a Human being to warn other human beings when there is danger coming...

HyperTiger,

Your message has been delivered to me. what I can say is that even Buddha can not change the Samsara. Cycle repeats.

Be happy

Doc:

It's pretty nice here today... winds out of the northeast which appear to be part of a high pressure system pushing Ivan out to the west. I was contemplating flying out to michigan tonight - but canceled the flight. C'mon home!

I'd wager that many on the island of Jamiaca are highly religious, and I suspect that most were praying with all their might that Ivan would change course. When you look at the change of course that sucker took, you could attribute it to the 7,000 foot high mountains on Jamaica that served to deflect the storm, but I assume that many in Jamaica will attribute it to the power of prayer.

The Caymans on the other hand appear to be toast. The highest point on Grand Cayman is a loggerhead turtle's back. If they take a direct hit, with a twenty foot storm surge and 165 MPH sustained winds, the death toll will be very high. The ocean could sweep right over the entire island. It appears Key West will be spared.

Whenever this sucker makes landfall in the Gulf, it could be one of the most powerful hurricanes in history.

Stanley, So true. The body's own immune system provides a fitting metaphor for how the body goes berserk, through a hyper vigilant immune system. The military industrial establishment, always on the alert, becomes desensitized to it's own bullshit after a while. Pretty soon, it's not just attacking foreign bodies but it's own tissues. A country whose military or police forces are lashing out at it through measures like Patriot Act, is akin to the individual developing ALS, MS, and perhaps --Alzheimers.

Guest Icky Twerp
You have heard the six words, and the six becloudings?

There is the love of being benevolent, without the love of learning: the beclouding here leads to foolish simplicity.

The love of knowing without love of learning: brings dissipation of mind.

Love of being sincere without the love of learning: disregard of the consequences.

Of straightforwardness without love of learning: rudeness.

Of boldness without the love of learning: insubordination.

Of firmness without the love of learning: extravagant conduct.

Here in the ideogram called "beclouding" we find confusion, an overgrowing with vegetation. Yet there is no better word for this in english than beclouding. "Extravagant conduct" is shown in a dog pawing a king or trying to lick the king's ear, which is said to mean a dog wanting to rule.

from Guide to Kulchur, by Ezra Pound, Chapter: Digest of the Analects of Confucius.

post-20-1094942401_thumb.gif

HT - Here is a real estate story. Back in the early '90's I bought a one bedroom bungalow in Seattle for 80,000. Sold it two years later for twice that when my job ended there. Paging through listings today, the bungalow next door is going for 600,000..also 1 bedroom. Seattle has very high unemployment this year and the average salary is about 43,000. My best pal there works for the city and is being laid off on cutbacks. Coastal real estate throughout Oregon and Washington is showing the same bubble characteristics as California. I can only surmise that Templeton is right and we will see 90% losses from these fantasy numbers.

Meanwhile, all real estate listings now include a calculation of the monthly payment . Naturally all taxes, insurance fees, utilites,closing costs and upkeep are omitted. astounding

Archived