Crapvision Four Year Labor Day Anniversary Special

I'm ba-a-a-a-ack. :lol:

Safely, if temporarily, stationed at my cousin't home in Woodbridge VA, about 20 miles south of DC. I'll be here until Friday at least. Should be able to get caught up on most regular features, and will be back in Stooltrading tomorrow morning.

I here that my house is ok, but reportedly lots of trees down in the neighborhood. No power yet. Waiting now to see what IVAN does. Oops, I mean Ivan.

Tanks to all subscribers for your patience and support!

Later!

Tanks to all subscribers for your patience and support!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just having spent 3 days in Atlanta, I was shocked at how bad things are there. Vacant stores abound in the malls. A big Macy's vacant downtown. Restaurants 2/3 empty on Fri and Sat night. Except for the gleaming skyscrapers, and some really nice old residential neighborhoods, I was surprised at how shabby and downtrodden the place looked, behind the facade of bombast and grandiosity. Something is wrong there. Saw an article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution that households incomes in the last 3 years have dropped to, or below the level hit in 1990, after a huge boom in the 90s.

Any Atlantans have any stories from there?

at near close friday, in IRA, got 100 QQQ, 200 SPY, and just fthoi, 100 MWD (since it had a bad day). Cash account has had 200 spy since high 109's. Plan to be flat thursday via trailing stops (or before).

Big boy s will be back, but myguess is they will be fighting the 1000's of black boxes and will probably play them a bit, sweep stops, etc.

KRISPT CREAM GETS CREAMED

Pity about all those people who bought into that POS and got creamed.

Insiders managed to sell out and walk away with $400 million.

Ive seen so many Cult stocks come and go.

The "Cult " stock machine has been well and truly perfected.

It all relies on idex funds buying overpriced crap.

Index funds are the mindless mules that allows wall street to play the cult stock shell game for all it is worth.

In all fairness I dont think the KK investors were that "mindless"--as one of the investors W Buffet,in my opinion, wasn't mindless,and when you combine his name with Dok's rhapsody on the heavenly taste of a KK donut, it doesn/t surprise me that a Gold rush effect ensued

But,but,but (the little conjuntive motor of remorse),Who could have predicted that the Atkins diet frenzy could have kicked in so soon after???

And Buffet didn't get away unscathed no matter how many shares he dumped(I dont know if he did) because those poor souls who did get conked on the head, I'm sure,now look upon Buffet, as just as big a thief asa any of the other scoundrels on Grabstreet

beardrech--- :ph34r: :ph34r: Even the Holy Grail of sweet toothers--Twinkies-is in danger

I don't think Buffet would ever own shares of KKD, he might have convertible bonds or have been involved with private equity before the IPO, but KKD would never have crossed his radar.

If he owns the stock with or without collar, I will be amazed. AND I will have to change my signature ;)

Just having spent 3 days in Atlanta, I was shocked at how bad things are there. Vacant stores abound in the malls. A big Macy's vacant downtown. Restaurants 2/3 empty on Fri and Sat night. Except for the gleaming skyscrapers, and some really nice old residential neighborhoods, I was surprised at how shabby and downtrodden the place looked, behind the facade of bombast and grandiosity. Something is wrong there. Saw an article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution that households incomes in the last 3 years have dropped to, or below the level hit in 1990, after a huge boom in the 90s.

Any Atlantans have any stories from there?

Doc,

There are 3 urban and 3 exurban "downtowns" in Altanta (pop. 4 million).

The old downtown you stayed in has been slowly abandoned for years. It is the hub for federal, state, city and county government (lawyers), big banks, utilities, conventions, and the old style media. It has been heavily managed by government in its' development, and was, to some extent, botched (approx. 30MM sq. feet of office space, about 1/3 empty).

If you had stayed a few miles north on Peachtree, in Midtown, you would have experienced the vibrant city life of free market development. It is a buzzing cross-section of intown arts, entertainment, business, and the "new media". (Approx. 15MM sq. feet of office space, 85%full).

A few miles further north of Midtown, in Buckhead, is the "monied South", with a nightclub district of 100+ dance and drinking establishments, it is the hub of nightlife for the entire south. It is also the financial district for the region, and the ultimate shopping destination. (Approx. 15MM sq. feet of office space, full).

A few miles north of Buckhead, Perimeter Center, where I live, is "Corporate World", a gleaming glass skyscraper jungle, with 50+ Fortune 1000 companies having either world or regional HQ's. (Approx. 30MM sq. feet of office space, 85% full).

A few miles north of Perimeter Center, you have Alpharetta, which is essentially another Perimeter Center. A few Miles to the west of Perimeter Center, is another Perimeter Center, The Galleria. Each Perimeter, Alpaharetta and The Galleria are surrounded by 4400-7000 sq. foot houses, many on golf courses, most for $1MM or less, making Atlanta one of the most affordable places on the planet if you want to own a full sized house and an acre+ yard.

Basically of the loci you could have choosen to stay in, you picked the worst, oldest, and the closest thing to a traditonal downtown a northern city dweller would have looked for....... the seat of government, bureaucracy and "entitlement". Atlanta generally eschews these things, being top ranked place to do business in the U.S., thus you not seeing what you wanted.

Seattle's downtown, albeit given that Seattle is a new city, relative to the aged metropolises of the East, looked a lot that way when HRFF arrived in 1985. They went about changing it and most of it has been transFURmed. It's still quirkly, a bit like the Big Apple, and can change wildly in character in just a block or two, from upscale and 'safe' to declining and full of junkies, pimps, 'ho's, and pushers.

The City FURthers have passed anti-loitering and SODA ("Stay out of drug area") ordinances and, having herded the homeless into their tent city let the an indignant affluent citizenry affected visually, thusly, hound them FURom one locus to the next. Recently, our mayor backed down from his ban on free meals for the destitute. The FURmer City Atty, who pioneered the anti-loitering/begging law, is running FUR State AG.

"The quality of mercy iSNOT strained,

It droppeth ASS the gentle rain, FURom Heaven."

Archived