Thank You Mark...Back at the Hamptons

Article on pension crisis in San Diego

"When the booming stock market made the city's pension accounts flush, San Diego officials sweetened benefits for city workers. Then the market crashed and they were left with much less money in the bank and bigger bills coming due."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-sa...-home-headlines

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheney will not be replaced unless he has a heart attack or dies before the election. It was considered and rejected, Bush would lose his ultra conservative religious base with a Giuliani or McCain (abortion, not hateful enough of gays) and many would stay home and not vote. So they have to keep him.

Brisbane, try not to be too affected by watching these party rallies on TV. You realize I'm sure that the attendees are all political junkies who work so hard for the party that they get rewarded by being appointed a delegate, then have to spend $2500 of their own money on expenses to go to the thing. Of course there will be a bounce of 5 points or so in the polls after this, then it will dissipate.

United still in deep doo doo

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/8585bc00-fb94-11d...000e2511c8.html

They want to cut 6000 more workers. They have gone from 104,000 workers to 62,000 workers and now they are talking about cutting 6000 more.

Also, the pension plans might be terminated.

Intel clouded by back to school fears

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;j...storyID=6096386

Mid quarter conference call is tomorrow at 5:30 pm eastern.

All semi-conductor bubble heads will be listening, ready to move billions in market cap on every word.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the Wall Street idiots were using voice stress analyzers to measure every voice tone looking for any signs of a SOX turn around.

Plenty of Sheeple out buying new laptops for their kids this week. So, I am not sure what Intel will say.

Nobody watches the conventions other than the party base anyway.

The boards are almost all up. I'm shutting down the Stool station now. Good nite to all, and to all a good nite. I will check in with you in a few days from wherever.

I think the markets could probably still manage another leg up in this rally. But I'm not playing it at this point. Something like that wouldn't really surprise me.

What would really surprise me would be if I saw a guy squirt milk out of his eyeball...

MAN SQUIRTS MILK FROM HIS EYEBALL :shocked

Yep Saduca...this week has been interesting.

Lots of negative news on INTC, but INTC is going up.

Why?

Because all of the fumbling, bumbling mutual fund managers (hedgies too!) are BUYING Tech while DOWNGRADING IT.

They are hoping to game it back up.

We will see.

Wouldn't it be nice if Intel came out and said "we are no longer going to do mid quarter updates."

That would be one less event to game for hedge fund managers.

Article on pension crisis in San Diego

"When the booming stock market made the city's pension accounts flush, San Diego officials sweetened benefits for city workers. Then the market crashed and they were left with much less money in the bank and bigger bills coming due."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-sa...-home-headlines

They will simply raise the taxes on their neighbors.

Grab the $$cash$$ out of their neighbor's pockets and stuff it into theirs.

They are "entitled" to get it.

So they will take it.

Yep...moved 401k back to money market.

Getting 1% is much better than losing 30.

Libertas posted this link over on B4 The Bell

http://www.schaeffersresearch.com/commenta...s.aspx?ID=10989

"Sure, concerted interference with market forces is ugly and illegal and immoral, but even if you're right, the current operation is for a good cause." I'm concerned for two major reasons.

If, in fact, the market is being supported outside the realm of being freely traded, investors are operating under a false sense of security and have thus committed more capital to the market than they would have otherwise.

Such support operations will be successful over the short term but will always fail in the long term. Worse yet, the downside break will be much more severe and will occur much more rapidly than would otherwise have been the case. The net result is that a very large group of investors will be seriously hurt in a market plunge. "

Schaeffer is a pretty straight up guy IMHO.

For him to come out and discuss market manipulation is stunning.

Doc, in a poll of random Nevada voters about the convention, of all parties, 16% said they planned to watch it gavel to gavel. Frankly, I think they are liars trying to appear more polictically savvy to the pollster than they are. I couldn't watch more than an hour without getting sick.

Bris, I agree with you, it would be dangerous to be short with these forces swirling around. A blast off could come at any time. But what do I know. I bought RRPIX thinking there was no way they could get 30 yr treasuries below 5% again. Dumb me. Rates are going down again.

Shorty, I am so desperate to buy RE and get some value that I had a thought of getting on a plane to Punta Gorda after the last blow there and seeing if I could make low ball offers to people whose houses were damaged and were out of staters just sick of it all who wanted to bail. Then I saw on TV that others had already thought of it, in fact they said the place was swarming with sharks with offer forms in the trunks of their rental cars.

Guest libertas
PD,

Can I ask why are you so desperate to buy real estate?

The bargains of a lifetime are literally just around the corner.

Buy the second dip is my opinion.

.50c in the dollar will be common.

You will save hundreds of thousands of dollars soon enough.

Remember what John Templeton said. Buy at 10% of the peak.

Can't possibly get that bad? We'll see.

tsunamis

An interesting behavior associated with some tsunamis is the retreat of sea water prior to the arrival of the tsunami. Sometimes, this resembles an unusually low tide, and people are lured onto the beach only to be swamped by the onrushing wave....Rogue waves have only been recently (in the last twenty years or so) recognized as being something different from tsunamis. As the name implies, these freak waves have an unpredictable nature and appear unexpectedly in calm weather and benign seas. Little is known about these things, but it seems that they occur as a result of unique circumstances...

post-7-1094089552.png

Archived