B4 the Bell Fryday, Aug 27, 2004

Guest yobob1

Neely just said Gold is gonna crash. 200$

Spose I should be loading the boat with US dollars then...

Move along

The more gold crash calls the better.

Im away from home and need the KKast {live gold and silver icon service} download.

Cant seem to find it. Can anyone help? Thanks much

email me and i'll send you the applet or try here:

http://kcast.kitco.com/

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Japanese government bond issuance is likely to hit a record next year as the country struggles with a fiscal deficit that has created the worst public finances in the industrialised world.

The ministry of finance said on Thursday it expected to sell Y143,000bn [u.S. $1.3 trillion] of JGBs in the 12 months to March 2006, up from Y121,100bn in the current fiscal year. The plan points to a 14th consecutive year of rising debt issuance and underlines the difficulty of strengthening Japan's fiscal position even as the economy enjoys its strongest post-bubble upturn.

Japan's ratio of total debt to gross domestic product is likely to be 163 per cent at the end of this year, according to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, the highest figure among OECD states.

Debt plobrem

Help me here, Hiding Bear.

Is the Japanese government, in effect, playing the yen carry trade by borrowing J-yen and buying U.S. Treasury/Agency debt in Al's custody account? :o

At 163% debt-to-GDP, it sounds like the last days of the S&L's ... double or nothing, cuz nothing to lose. :huh:

p.s. So much for the recent "Japan boom" spin. The Matrix seems to have dropped that line like a hot potato.

Yes - mostly.

Japan eventually borrows borrows most, but not all of the money used to buy USs. So they borrow in their domestic market short term at a 0.05% (that's hundreths of 1%) rate and invest in US bills and bonds. The ultimate carry trade.

However Japan does not want to issue too much debt too fast so it essentially issues new debt for US$ purchases slowly - about $1 billion more a week. They issue new fiat currency to carry them through in the meanwhile. It's nice to have your own printing press.

All that new fiat yen goes into the world money supply, which acts to increase worldwide inflation under present business conditions.

This is happening at the same time Japan is running huge budget deficits which require constant new debt issues. Their borrowing is very much concentrated on the very short end - T bills. A system as fgaile as Humpty Dumpty on a wall.

Where is the love?

The downside of imperialism.

The United States of America is enjoying an extremely successful Games, on the track, in the pool, on the softball diamond, the soccer pitch and nearly everywhere else, but U.S. athletes, and the greatly reduced number of brave souls here to support them, certainly haven't felt much love.

Hatred, though, they've experienced.

Yesterday, in an arena that was bitter and hostile to begin with, then erupted in the final seconds of a hotly contested basketball game between the latest edition of the U.S. Dream Team and Spain, there was no mistaking that emotion for anything else.

With his team leading by 11 points and 23.7 seconds left on the clock, the U.S. coach, Larry Brown, decided to breach sports etiquette and, in the process, extended a middle finger to his opponents and to the people in the stands.

...Americans can be as oblivious as Labrador retrievers when it comes to local sensitivities in foreign climes, so perhaps Brown hasn't noticed the difference.

...No one's begging for a photo op here. And the stands aren't erupting in chants of U-S-A, U-S-A. The locals sure won't do it, since there's a strong streak of anti-Americanism in Greece to begin with, and so many U.S. fans and corporations have taken a pass on Athens, afraid of organizational snafus, or unwilling to be targets.

...maybe that's like Red Sox fans hating the Yankees. But being there, and being here, it sure felt like more.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Art...uery=basketball

Guest yobob1

Tanks, John. My mind is just as sharp as it ever was - damn the luck. :lol:

Mentally I still think I'm 25, however when asked to cooperate the body seems unable to confirm that age.

Well on the matrix games gang and trade safe. A full body condom is required. Remember, the hardest thing to do is nothing.

Where is the love?

The downside of imperialism.

the U.S. coach, Larry Brown, decided to breach sports etiquette and, in the process, extended a middle finger to his opponents and to the people in the stands.

The poor provincial.

With a crowd of Europeans, he'd get a much better reaction by crooking his right arm, placing his left hand on his bicep, and holding his right fist vertically in the air.

Maybe he'd better just stick to dropping his drawers ... :lol:

Archived