B4 The Bell Moonday August 23

fantastic - what a fantastic capper to 25 years of neoliberalism - let the ill-gotten oligarchs live out their days tax-free, and then pass their pile to thier kids tax free, all the while letting the serfs shoulder the burden in exchange for the privilege of riding the rest of the bear market to non-retirement. Excellent.

i disagree, but ill wait6 until the close to comment.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gold and Silver miners are not doing well this morning.

Nearly all are red, except AU

Hui and Xau both red.

This market is shakin' and quakin' like an old truck I once was driving

when it threw a rod through the oil pan... stuck out in the boonies with

a sheep in the back headed for a show at the County Fair. (4-H Club)

Got rescued and our sheep won First Prize!

I like my stories to have happy endings!

:P

fantastic - what a fantastic capper to 25 years of neoliberalism - let the ill-gotten oligarchs live out their days tax-free, and then pass their pile to thier kids tax free, all the while letting the serfs shoulder the burden in exchange for the privilege of riding the rest of the bear market to non-retirement. Excellent.

Exactly!

But hey, what could go wrong?

:P

What could go wrong already has for the last couple of decades. We have exported our jobs and there are fewer and fewer worker bees to feed the system from the bottom. When the construction / real estate boom dies, that will be painfully obvious.

Why would you buy a new car today if you know the incentives are only going to get bigger tommorrow? I think that's what Detroit is facing right now. Too many people bit when incentives were half of what they are and now with the new prices continuing to fall they are severely upside down in their autos. This doesn't make them happy when they see prices for 2005 models below what they paid for their 2003 that they still owe on for another 4 years.

A different twist on Plunger's tire theory. People may be forced to keep their cars longer if they can't trade out of them (upside down) or simply become reluctant to buy if they think prices will keep falling. This could actually shift tire demand from the manufacturers to the consumers who might have simply traded out of the old tires into a shiny new set on a new car. Tire demand might fall but maybe not as fast as one might think.

I'm beginning to wonder which is worse, highly protectionist tarrifs or "free trade"? When oil is hitting $200 a barrel shipping the same stuff all the world makes back and forth across the planet isn't going to make much sense. With tarrifs we kept the jobs on shore but lost a lot of the export markets and subsequently some of the jobs. Now we lose most of the jobs and the export markets.

Yobob1,

are you saying that by shipping our manufacturing base abroad, we may have eliminated our ability to internally meet domestic deamnd if oil prices continue upward? that would definitely be an unintended consequence and is a very scary thought.

Launch the Anvil Scotty-Aye Capt- Anvil away-Blast Shield up all ahead full Scotty!

ARTI with a float of 25 million and 3 million shares short was sold this AM. Price up $6 a share. shorts cooked, and and now baking..this is a $10 increase in the last 30 days.. this is all about inside information, the chip sector down the entire month and ARTI well....

my 2 cents in the great tire debate: I think Plunger has made some good points, and agree with his comments this weekend that replacement tire purchases are easy to delay when money is tight. But i also agree that if you're going to short the tire makers based on this funnymental argument, it's important to take into account the probable shift from new car tire sales to replacement sales (I don't think there's disagreement on this point though). From a trading perspective, I mentined this weekend I was watching GT, but agree with windy that it's too early to short, it's still in an uptrend. Sorry to be so agreeable. :lol:

great tire debate, why just tires... people will be dealying all purchases possible as disposable incoem shrinks. sure they will be riding on the metal in their radials, but they will ge the old fridge and washer/dryer fixed, lay-in on the stinky sofa for another year. and its not just oil that is a "tax" on the economy, higher prices of all commodes are taxes!

Crap-Vision just had on the living fossil-Kurt Barnard who has been covering retail for 50 years-he says Toys r Us will soon be Toys were Us, there only asset is their real estate. He went on to say China -Mart is in trouble because the consumer is tapped out but not as much trouble as every one else. I love the "old Guys" they are the only ones who tell the truth! ;)

my 2 cents in the great tire debate: I think Plunger has made some good points, and agree with his comments this weekend that replacement tire purchases are easy to delay when money is tight.  But i also agree that if you're going to short the tire makers based on this funnymental argument, it's important to take into account the probable shift from new car tire sales to replacement sales (I don't think there's disagreement on this point though).  From a trading perspective, I mentined this weekend I was watching GT, but agree with windy that it's too early to short, it's still in an uptrend.  Sorry to be so agreeable. :lol:

great tire debate, why just tires... people will be dealying all purchases possible as disposable incoem shrinks. sure they will be riding on the metal in their radials, but they will ge the old fridge and washer/dryer fixed, lay-in on the stinky sofa for another year. and its not just oil that is a "tax" on the economy, higher prices of all commodes are taxes!

Totally corrrect Pee...I was just looking at those charts and thinking they were done going up.

GT & CTB

Archived