B4 The Bell Weak-end Den, August 21-22

Sheriff of Maricopy County currently under seige for various reasons including how his deputies prosecuted prostitution arrests: soliciting and engaging in sex, THEN arresting the woman.

is there a problem with that :lol: ?

signed,

Happy Endings

on a more serious note, the biggest threat to the markets and our system i a lack of fear or serious debate on issues of primary import. it seems everything is rationalize or marginalized and people just assume that what they hear is true. oil no problem to $40/bl, then, oil no problem to $50/bl, then oil over $50/bl is no problem.... pension funds, not discussed. deficiet spending and debt, not discussed. if Iraq War has accomplished anything, it has been to quiet any debate on very important substanative issues. lets just ponder: how does our imbalance of trade come back into balance? or, how do we balance the budget, or pay off the national debt? when things really turn down it will be a complete surprise to most, which will result in utter panic.

there is an article floating around on the % of debt service on national debt at these low IRs. the article notes, if memory serves me, that higher rates would esseentially require that all or a big chunk of govt revs would go to debt service. there is some very serious crap getting swept under the rug -

B4- Ralphie post on PruBear about car biz - he posted earlier today i think - always a good read.

The Government can just issue more Treasuries while the FED can buy any number...

Don't worry the Homeland security government in waiting is not going to be short on funds...You will be though...Don't try and resist...run...There will be plenty of other thermal signatures to gun down and provide you with cover.

In Germany they had a Fatherland security department...It was called the SS for short.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tire sales an economic indicator?

All of the tire companies have recently reported record profits. If you ask me, this is yesterday's news, and the top is in.

Detroit is about to significantly reduce output of new cars as inventories pile up and incentives continue to rise. As consumers become increasingly tight with their money, they put off purchasing replacement tires until they absolutely have to. For me, this is as good a trend indicator with respect to consumer discretionary spending as one could ask for.

High oil prices are bad for new car sales all the way around - and the cost of manufacturing and shipping tires is on the rise. Will the inevitable rise in prices at the pump combined with the jump in home heating oil costs cause consumers to have less money to spend, and as a result, drive less miles? Have tire sales peaked?

check out GT

http://139.142.147.221/StockChart_ImageOnl...NX&ref_rate=180

Is this a buying opportunity or a massive head and shoulders top on TBCC?

The bigger picture on TBCC:

Now check out Cooper Tires (CTB):

opinions?

So I see the battle going forward.? Walmart&AMD vs. Dell&Intel.? I smell price wars coming.?  :unsure:? :blink:

Walmart $600 laptop

And price wars on LCD TV's too:

glasshole.gif

LCD demand wanes

"One typical consumer the INQ talked to said LCD TVs are way too expensive. Andy Evans, MD of British firm Net Communities, said that he'd rather use a back projected big display" (your link)

I spent a load of time and $ at Fry's last week, pushing LCD's/HDTV as far as the eye could see. People buying small ticket items. Lottsa markdowns for display devices, nobody seemed interested. I bought a PowerBook for my kid going to college. Only 12 LCD inches, sorry, apologies to Chinese glass blowers and crystal makers.

I think I'm the only guy who walked out with an LCD anything in the 90 minutes I was there. Parking lot is half as full as it was in 2000, when I built a new computer every 45 days as the RAM/HD/motherboard upgrade cycle accelerated.

This tech cycle is DEAD. Wall Street is sucking on fumes to keep interest in the sector alive. The next tech cycle will focus on resource-saving/efficiency technologies, which will include nanotech, hybrid devices, etc. It is still a decade off, IMHO.

I'm sure the security officials are thrilled to learn of the prospect of the world's largest target for terrorists - GW himself - breezing into the Olympic Stadium to catch "his boys" in action.

"Ya see, it's like this here...thanks to my strong leadership, them tyrants Uday and Kusay are deader'dna doornail. With a new sheriff in town, these here fellers can come out and put on a strong showin' fer the whole world to see, cuz now they're livin' in freedom. Even if they lose, they don't need to fear bein' tortured when they get back home...well, at least not as bad as they used to, cuz them fellers are dead now, and there's a new sheriff in town, and I'm strong, and this team is strong and the world is a safer place today because of this here soccer team!"

Mah boys from Baghdad is goin' home to lots of ruint buildings.

Well they's plenty of ruint buildings right here in Athens.

Just look at that mess up on the hill.

And it don't seem to bother the Greeks none.

"We'll turn that ruint Najaf Shrine into a terrorist attraction, just like this here Partheon...charge admission just to see it!"

Nice to see things are well under control in Iraq:

NAJAF, Iraq (Reuters) - U.S. tanks advanced to within 800 yards of the Imam Ali mosque in the Iraqi city of Najaf on Sunday after talks on surrendering control of the shrine at the center of an 18-day siege ran into trouble.

Hours earlier, a U.S. military AC-130 gunship unleashed rapid cannon and howitzer fire on positions held by rebels loyal to firebrand cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, who remain in control of the gold-domed shrine in defiance of the Iraqi government.

North of Baghdad, a suicide car bomb blew up near a convoy carrying Iraqi officials near the town of Baquba, killing two people and wounding eight, a police officer said.

Any takeover of the mosque by security forces could infuriate Iraq's majority Shi'ite population and further destabilize the country ahead of scheduled elections in January. The mosque is the holiest Shi'ite shrine in Iraq.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?t...storyID=6036821

Gasoline prices here in Quebec just went up 25 cents a gallon overnight.

I would have agreed that the suppression of prices at the pump in the US was political, except that the same thing happened here in Canada. I didn`t know Cheney`s reach extended this far. And since Canadians lost the right to vote in US elections, I didn`t think he?d care.

Well, not sure if it`s 25 cents a gallon. went from 86.4 to 92.4 per liter. How`s that work out? I`ll be in Plattsburgh Monday morning. I`ll fill up there. That is, if they let me back in. :huh:

Archived