B4 the Bell. Turdsday Aug 19, 2004

Guest yobob1

BB: Re leading indicators. Not to woory sez barfing.com, since it is bad it is all bad news. "he leading indicators report (10 ET) is expected to show a July decline following June's tumble. The back-to-back declines reflect the 'soft patch' referenced by Chief Greenspan and are plainly viewed in the economy. All but 2 of the 10 components are old news (released data)."

Oh yes, the old soft patch pitch. Guess the word police figure it sounds so much nicer and less threatening than say, RECESSION.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... Guards was quoted in the Iranian press as saying Tehran would strike the israeli reactor at Dimona if Israel attacks the islamic republics Nuclear facilities."? UH Oh! ;)

Time for a gold slam!

------------------------------------

Honestly, what a stinking pile of dung over there.

How is it again that we got propelled into believing that the middle east's problems were our problems?

Oh that's right, we were lied to endlessly by the press.

Here's how Downie [Executive Editor of the WaPo] put [his] last excuse:

"People who were opposed to the war from the beginning and have been critical of the media's coverage?have the mistaken impression that somehow if the media's coverage had been different, there wouldn't have been a war."

Nothing like an editor with a firm grasp of metaphysics. "It doesn't matter what we write, the universe is still going to keep expanding?"

The problem with these newsprint confessions is not that they are craven, insufficient and self-serving, which of course they are. The problem is that, on the whole, they do not correct the pre-war mistakes, but actually further them. The Post would have you believe that its "failure" before the war was its inability/reluctance to punch holes in Bush's WMD claims.

Right. I marched in Washington against the war in February 2003 with about 400,000 people, and I can pretty much guarantee that not more than a handful of those people gave a shit about whether or not Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. That's because we knew what the Post and all of these other papers still refuse to admit?this whole thing was never about weapons of mass destruction. Even a five- year-old, much less the literate executive editor of the Washington Post, could have seen, from watching Bush and his cronies make his war case, that they were going in anyway.

For God's sake, Bush was up there in the fall of 2002, warning us that unmanned Iraqi drones were going to spray poison gas on the continental United States. The whole thing?the "threat" of Iraqi attack, the link to terrorism, the dire warnings about Saddam's intentions?it was all bullshit on its face, as stupid, irrelevant and transparent as a cheating husband's excuse. And I don't know a single educated person who didn't think so at the time.

The story shouldn't have been, "Are there WMDs?" The story should have been, "Why are they pulling this stunt? And why now?" That was the real mystery. It still is.

We didn't need a named source in the Pentagon to tell us that. And neither did the Washington Post

BB: Re leading indicators. Not to woory sez barfing.com, since it is bad it is all bad news. "he leading indicators report (10 ET) is expected to show a July decline following June's tumble. The back-to-back declines reflect the 'soft patch' referenced by Chief Greenspan and are plainly viewed in the economy. All but 2 of the 10 components are old news (released data)."

Greenspan has great reverence for the methods used at the ECRI whose chief economist said recently

"The story is unchanged," said Lakshman Achuthan, managing director of ECRI. "The slowdown that the WLI anticipated is set to persist through the end of the year."

http://www.businesscycle.com/showstory.php?storyID=695

Either he no longer believes them, or he has information that is contrary to their work, or he's lying.

At this point, I am not sure it matters.

I consider myself, and I say this with some degree of personal conceit, to be a new age economic era man. I am completely detached from reality. On the other hand, I just may be unhinged. :o :lol: :unsure:

Archived