B4 The Bell, Moonday, June 28

Blast heard in Turkish capital

Mon 28 June, 2004 20:37

ANKARA (Reuters) - A large explosion has been heard near a Turkish Defence Ministry building in the capital Ankara, the state-run Anatolian news agency says, but it is not immediately clear what caused the blast.

More than 40 world leaders, including U.S. President George W Bush, are in Istanbul for a NATO summit that began on Monday.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticl...88&section=news

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Despite the carnage in mining stocks, CEF, which holds physical gold and silver in a vault, is only down a penny.

CEF tends to trade on the GOLD and SILVER: CDN DOLLAR ratio. It's a tricky one to play. I sold it in disgust days before it bonered unexpectedly to the upside.

Sledd, CECO freaking out after hours, all over the map.

Also posted on IDS (you're not having an acid flashback):

As per our discussions of lack of safety with money market funds:

I have discovered that Waterhouse does have an FDIC insured account that you can get into if you jump through a few hoops. If anyone knows of other brokerages that likewise have FDIC insured money market accounts, I'd appreciate if you could post or PM me.

Yes, Yobob and others, I know that that's not necessarily going to pay off either, but it's a little safer than discovering that your money market account is suddenly worth 20% less, with no recourse.

TIA

Guest yobob1
Sledd, CECO freaking out after hours, all over the map.

Also posted on IDS (you're not having an acid flashback):

As per our discussions of lack of safety with money market funds:

I have discovered that Waterhouse does have an FDIC insured account that you can get into if you jump through a few hoops. If anyone knows of other brokerages that likewise have FDIC insured money market accounts, I'd appreciate if you could post or PM me.

Yes, Yobob and others, I know that that's not necessarily going to pay off either, but it's a little safer than discovering that your money market account is suddenly worth 20% less, with no recourse.

TIA

Sorry Drano, but an FDIC insurance on a money market does not protect you from losses. It would still be perfectly legal and not an insurance issue if the value of your money market fell below the $1.00 level. It only guarantees, in case of a default by the bank, that you will get back what you deserve up to $100,000. The only "safe" place to put your money, up to $100,000, is in a plain old savings account or a guaranteed CD. Granted there are very few instances of a money market account falling below the $1.00 level, but in this environment anything is possible.

Ouch!

4:44pm 06/28/04

Washington Mutual cuts 2004 earnings forecast (WM) By Carolyn Pritchard

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS.MW) -- Washington Mutual (WM) cut its 2004 earnings forecast after Monday's closing bell, citing the impact of higher long-term interest rates on its mortgage lending business. The mortgage lender and savings and loan said it now expects to post a per-share profit ranging $3 to $3.60 for the year, vs. anal cysts' average forecast of $4.24 a share, according to Thomson First Call. Shares of Seattle-based Washington Mutual ended Monday's regular session up 13 cents at $41.31. The stock was halted for trade after the closing bell.

Archived