B4 The Bell Weak-end Den

The Road to Surfdom and Feudalism

http://www.pushhamburger.com/feb03.htm

A very long article with references that covers almost all of the "come ons"

used by governments and corporations. :blink:  :blink:

Good read,Hunter albeit rather repetitive!

I liked the Emerson quote: Definition of a philanthropist(from the Robber Baron era).

"A man who gives away what he should be giving back" :D

Considering the quality of education in the k-12 public system, some HSers

would have problems with comprehension...thus repetitiveness. To much

tv and entertainment crap that requires no exertion of mental or physical

effort.

I happen to be a somewhat voracious reader of subject specific materials...

everything from biographies to International Law and the Law of Nations averaging

six books per year. Additionally, novels will total at least 3 py. This reading is over and above that of surfing the net and 3-net subscriptions to newspapers.

Control of information has been and still is the name of the game of life. :angry:

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should get a burst upward at the open due to the Russell reshuffle at the close on Friday. I don't expect that to last...I have profit locked on my 1145 puts with a stop at 1139.50 if I get stopped out in the morning it will be a gift as I can short higher. Note CNN has not posted tonites f/value numbers always when the pricks don't do that there will be a morning jam so ratchet your stops down. Re the downtrodden...20 odd years ago when I was still in the retail biz I was part of a Government program that employed retrained welfare recipients several of whom went on to become Managers in my Company...you know what they expected nothing and when they got rewarded for their efforts you could not have a better employee or one more loyal. To assume all of the poor are losers is simply elitism run amok. As to how hard times were in the 50's gimmee a break they were hard for virtually all of the middle class. Ever killed and plucked a chicken, killed a cow and butchered it, I have and many others of our age have as well. Ever had bullets fired at you in anger-I have and many others like me-don't give me the patriotic war is necessary and wonderful Bullshit until you have walked in my boots and you know what few of you can-ask MH or Einstein or Depends and thank God on your knee's you weren't there!

But the point is how much of the US tresury goes to US airline companies and manufactures, logging companies, oil/gas corps, coal miners, not to mention the military-industrial complex?? Heck, everyday the The fed hands out billions of doolars to the gang of 23 (its 23 right?).? And yet when it comes to social welfare. people decry corruption and greed cause someone has a 46" TV?? It really seems like the smallest of problems, ya know?

The problem is surely not just the person buying a 46'' TV on dole. Those who argue against social largesse because they might have to pay a little more in taxes are just as bad.

Government can play a good role. But ultimately it must be up to the people to elect a good government. If the people are rotten then there will be lots of injustice, with or without the government.

Something else we agree on.

Bolting for Bush

By EDWARD I. KOCH

I am a lifelong Democrat. I was elected to New York's City Council, Congress and three terms as mayor of New York City on the Democratic Party line. I believe in the values of the Democratic Party as articulated by Presidents Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Harry Truman, John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson and by Senators Hubert Humphrey, Henry "Scoop" Jackson and Daniel Patrick Moynihan. Our philosophy is: "If you need a helping hand, we will provide it." The Republican Party's philosophy, on the other hand, can be summed up as: "If I made it on my own, you will have to do the same."

Nevertheless, I intend to vote in 2004 to reelect President Bush. I will do so despite the fact that I do not agree with him on any major domestic issue, from tax policy to the recently enacted prescription drug law. These issues, however, pale in importance beside the menace of international terrorism, which threatens our very survival as a nation. President Bush has earned my vote because he has shown the resolve and courage necessary to wage the war against terrorism.

rest of article here

http://www.forward.com/issues/2004/04.01.09/oped1.html

Democrats for Bush

http://democrats4bush.com/

Koch has lost his friggin min. I wouldn't vote for Bush under any circumstances. Like the old saying goes, He could f up a wet dream.

If I see that old toad of an ex-Mayor, I hope to kick him in the kroch.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

I met Koch briefy awhile ago and is he is a very likable person. I'm willing to hear him out on the issues. But think he can do better than this if he wants more support:

The Bush Doctrine, simply stated by the president, is: "We will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbor them."

President Bush has lived up to that credo. Under his leadership, Afghanistan was liberated from Al Qaeda's patron, the Taliban.

I don't think very many disagree that going after OBL was a bad idea, although the implementation could have easily been better. However I don't see GWB going after the Bin Laden familiy in SA, and, as it was discussed in a few news services the week of 9/11, he gave special permission for the Bin Laden family in the US leave. I haven't yet seen even one die-hard supporter of GWB say that this was a great idea but I heard a lot of talk that they weren't terrorists. If they weren't terrorists then they didn't have to leave.

Well I know my rant doesn't prove anything, but Koch's statement doesn't prove that GWB is following his own doctrine either.

Sorry for the rant.

Right on B4! Rabbit,squirrel,racoon,bear,deer,hogs,beef,frogs,snapper turtles fish and fresh chicken....beats hell outta this store bought stuff with their preservatives and hormones. :D

The blame for this mess belongs to Prime Minister Cheney, and King George, not to some third level defense department neocon theoretician hack. An assistant Secretary of Defense does not make the policy. He may argue on behalf of the policy, but he doesn't make it.

This board this weekend is a microcosm of the election-it will get worse after 15 Oct imo-that is why I taking off 17 Oct for 3 weeks & will vote absentee. I am sick of this shit already.

OR

Just imagine how "sick of it" our troops are that are stuck in the middle of a shooting gallery.

We can't afford to just be sick of it...we need to stop it.

Talking about it is part of that process.

If I am not mistaken, the US has the lowest rate of taxation among Western industrialized nations. We spend far less on social welfare programs than most of the civilized world. We spend far more on the military.

We need to raise taxes to balance the budget, reduce the size of the military, increase spending on health care and child care, substantially increase corporate taxes, eliminate corporate tax loopholes, increase controls on gun ownership, and most especially enact regulatory reforms that stops these goddamn corporations from raping us.

As for the criminals at the bottom of the social ladder, what they cost us is nothing compared to what these corporate criminals and free riders cost us. Perhaps if we created a more just society with more opportunities for the underclass, they would behave better. Perhaps not. They are just mimicking what they see around them. Corruption, theft and dishonesty at every level of society.

So if you think there is a better place to put your efforts to work, by all means, go.

What strikes me is that those in Europe, Canada, and Australia who call themselves Conservatives would be considered left wing fruitcakes by the conservatives in this country. Bush is right. This country is mentally ill. The narcissistic conservative religious right is the most dysfuntional of the bunch.

Did I mention gun control. The US is the most violent western "democracy" because anyone who wants a handgun can get one. 

It's a damn disgrace.

If I wanted to, I could walk down the streets of my town with my newly purchased weapon attached to my hip. It would look kinda strange, me wearing a suit and all, but I could do it.

Did I mention gun control. The US is the most violent western "democracy" because anyone who wants a handgun can get one. 

It's a damn disgrace.

Legaly Doc, Not evereyone can buy one. Felons are out. Also, kids, I think. :)

Archived