B4 The Bell Weak-end Den

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ned - thank you. I know folks who are poor. They struggle and have no sense of entitlement whatsoever.

ps - Are you gentlemen aware that welfare now caps at two years ? (Clinton). A recent study found that outside of the few states that offer childcare, those who have gone off the dole are worse off than ever.

wow B-8, im assuming you include PeeBrain as a gentleman & not just sleddie? wow, cant remember the last time PB and gentleman were used in the same sentence, unless it was someone pointing out a potential example for PB to try & emulate:lol: .

i think it was the OracleOfidahO that said something like "im self-employed, i eat what i kill." if you think about it, thats actually pretty profound, and that attitude is so noble, its what built our nation. more of that, less structural welfare, and you got a party started! :lol:

HB:

Barring Terrorist Events?

Cheney has virtually guaranteed one, which is of course having some influence of the bond market regardless of the reality.

Yes - Very big "if".

Any short bond position of significance may have to be hedged with out of the money calls. This is why I may only venture into a short bond fund and not the futures market on this.

The possibility that AQ or some other group in SA is trying to provoke GWB should not be discounted. The possibility that GWB is trying to provoke some group should not be discounted. Either way, fireworks could start almost any time.

not sure I see Yobob's point about managing his finances around to reduce or eliminate his income taxes. This is not, I repeat not, going to starve the system. Unless and until you simply stop all of your economic activity, someone somewhere is going to be paying a tax bill, whether it is you directly or the contractor you pay to work for you, or the people your contractor pays for Chinese food for dinner, or whatever. If you want to go John Galt, you need to literally go live off the fat of the land in the mountains somewhere. Total shutdown, not even an electric bill. If we could get 10% of the population to do it, a "society strike" of sorts, now that could be something.

Drano the fair value numbers on CNN/FN are Fridays numbers not tonites

Aaarrrgh, thanks.

MJK: Remember my saying I needed a 10 by 10 cabin in Montana?

Of course, if 10% of the population did that, the other 90% would be delighted -- more oil for them! :lol:

Just saw a piece on CNN. They interviewed a Palestinian who lives in Syria, who has been into Iraq three times in recent months to kill Americans.

"America is the supporter of Israel and Israel has been killing our people, so we will kill the Americans."

The piece disclosed that arabs from Jordan, Yemen, Saudi Arabia and other Arab lands are flocking to Iraq to force the infadels out of Iraq.

These borders are indefensible, and the foreign fighters are welcomed into the homes of Iraqis as freedom fighters, blending in to the society easily.

In essence...it can be compared to hunting season here in the U.S.

The hunters are swarming in from the surrounding countryside to bag their prey.

There is literally one answer. Get the hell out of there. String-up Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld and all of the other assholes that ignored the advice given to them. This was all predicted by the Army War College in advance of the war...and ignored.

We've all known how much the Arabs hate Israel over the Palestinian issue, and while Israel has built a security wall to protect themselves to the extend possible, we have sent our troops into a situation where they are being sniped as with no less zeal than if they were Israeli troops.

Politics aside...this is a horrible mess and there is no solution.

You have the Bush Administration to thank for this...whose surrogates are still all over TV today dropping the 9/11 mantra as the reason behind the war. I want to know who gave the orders that resulted in the coordinated disinformation campaign to put Newt Gingrich and other GOP mouthpieces all over the airwaves, slipping 9/11 into every conversation about Iraq. the disinformation campaign is in overdrive. Desparation.

They just can't stop lying. Wolfowitz has managed to drag us all the way into the Arab/Israeli conflict...make no mistake about it...we ARE Israel now.

$40 Billion a month is the cost in dollars...combined with higer oil prices here at home, lost credibility worldwide. World War III has begun, and the human toll will be immeasurable.

a link from todays newspaper...

40% of wages going in mortgage payments for some people here in OZ..

That is alright when property prices are skyrocketing,but its pretty shabby when prices are falling....it would be hard to stomach if you actually had negative equity in the house that is eating 40% of your wages....gotta figure these people wont be doing much spending ...no restaurants,no new cars,no new wide screen TVs,no new boat,no new anything for quite some time I suspect.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/27/...l?oneclick=true

Bolting for Bush

By EDWARD I. KOCH

I am a lifelong Democrat. I was elected to New York's City Council, Congress and three terms as mayor of New York City on the Democratic Party line. I believe in the values of the Democratic Party as articulated by Presidents Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Harry Truman, John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson and by Senators Hubert Humphrey, Henry "Scoop" Jackson and Daniel Patrick Moynihan. Our philosophy is: "If you need a helping hand, we will provide it." The Republican Party's philosophy, on the other hand, can be summed up as: "If I made it on my own, you will have to do the same."

Nevertheless, I intend to vote in 2004 to reelect President Bush. I will do so despite the fact that I do not agree with him on any major domestic issue, from tax policy to the recently enacted prescription drug law. These issues, however, pale in importance beside the menace of international terrorism, which threatens our very survival as a nation. President Bush has earned my vote because he has shown the resolve and courage necessary to wage the war against terrorism.

rest of article here

http://www.forward.com/issues/2004/04.01.09/oped1.html

Democrats for Bush

http://democrats4bush.com/

Koch has lost his friggin min. I wouldn't vote for Bush under any circumstances. Like the old saying goes, He could f up a wet dream.

If I see that old toad of an ex-Mayor, I hope to kick him in the kroch.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

just a strike, not permanent isolation

Yobob is correct, you starve the Federal beast by reducing taxes paid, but to reduce taxes, economic activity must decline.

i really dont live much differently than i did in college - except that i make alot more money... my basic expenses with 2 children have increased, but not to the extent you might think. if you do not owe, "they" dont control you; you can do what you want, or choose not to do anything... let the leeches squeeze the low-hanging fruit; J6P, the walking debt machine - he has few choices, more debt or BK being the most likely. the govt finances and "philosphy" are running against the tide... too much "entitlement" and ever increasing debt, deficiet and debt-service, not to mention an expanding current acct deficiet and shrinking export base (even with a weaker USD).

i cant speak for the "O of O", but i can tell you as i approach 50, i realize that i might not live forever :lol: . there is an opportunity cost in every endeavor as there is a marginal return. the opp cost of working 70-90 hrs a week becomes greater as i age, not just because i have less time remaining and because i have to grind harder now to push, but also the trade-off with my children... also, the tax rate and amount increases as applied on the overall income, which really dings those last employment dollars. not to mention that im not as productive or efficient at the margin; so, one begins to wonder if its worth it - its really not as the govt continues to bleed me and squander my life energy.

the sheeple get moments of clarity; short and infrequent, kinda like prairie dogs popping outta holes for short spurts, then back into the darkness, so much more comfortable with the herd. once you get to a certain relative level, you're done. stoolies have done it with way under $500,000, which is crap-box teardown in Socal, but the amount is irrelavent, they have reached their own level of financial and psychic/philosophical freedom. i dont care if everybody doesnt do it, i will because its right for me. if i keep droning on and producing at the margin, the hit from uncle is gonna get bigger - the trend is impossible to ignore.

i dont care, as you can tell, im philosophically opposed to the trends in this country - and again, im not alone. im forced to exchange real estate via 1031 - its after tax money invested literally decades ago and potential gains would not even be indexed for inflation. you can basically BE on an infaltion-adjusted basis, and Uncle comes calling for his inflated cut - net effect, you lose on an after-tax, inflation-adjusted basis - and why, so some able-bodied jackass can sit on his duff all day and watch "the price is right". the huevos the govt has to even come with their hand out and take the fruits of our risk and labor and give it to some crooked corporation or lazy ass leech.

debt, conformity and status are the yoke you place on your own neck. good luck.

Archived