B4 The Bell Weak-end Den

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been both perplexed and shocked by the blame the victim crowd. They are so devoid of basic human compassion and simple kindness toward to to less fortunate. Makes you feel superior I suppose. "See, I did it the right way and you poor scum deserve nothing cause its your own fault."

The Home Sales Lie

Ever wonder why the home sales stats look so good, during what is more illusion than recovery?? Well, read the fine print from the Census Bureau and you'll discover that home sales stats include offers with earnest money - not the actual sales that are closed.? Oh what fun we have with numbers, class:

Preliminary new home sales figures are subject to revision due to the survey methodology and definitions used. The survey is primarily based on a sample of houses selected from building permits. Since a sale is defined as a deposit taken or sales agreement signed, this can occur prior to a permit being issued. An estimate of these prior sales is included in the sales figure.

Put gently, if you put earnest money on a new house, it's a sale, even if it doesn't close - thus sales can be counted multiple times.?

http://www.urbansurvival.com/week.htm

Plunger:

What happens if you put a deposit on a house that the builder hasn't yet built?

Does that also count in the stats?If it does then what about all those speculative "house buyers" in the price hot spots who "buy" 5 houses.

If it takes 5/6 months for construction,then the stats are giving a delayed reaction by 5~6 months and that's before the the interest rates started moving up.

Ralph Nader's okay. The New Democrats he's promoting are not advocating deficit spending near as much as the so called "conservatives".? Yes, they are our very own goofball necons, linked to fundamentalists in the States and ready and willing to do WHATEVER Bushco tells them to do. They wanted to go into Iraq, for God's sakes.

Nader a pinko, hypocrite, huh? Is it against the law to start a third party,( make that a second party) in the U.S.?? And that goes double for Canada. Our liberals are becoming like the conservatives used to be and the conservatives want to take us back to Edwardian times with Jesus in the sidecar.

I've had dealings with leftists in Canada and some of them are truly thick, when it comes to money, but you know, they can't beat the sheer idiocy coming out of the far right these days. After spending over a decade trying to undo the damage of deficits and debt wracked up by Trudeau and Mulroney, the conservatives want to come in, a la Bush and do it all over again.

Unfortunately, the liberal party seems to be the only alternative. Some NDP governments have been okay, but they can be blinded by their ideology which limits them.

Besides Harper has those eyes, those eyes. OOOOOh scary. Glacial blue, signature sociopath.

Both Harper and Duceppe look like androids. In Montreal, in my municipality of Outremont, some wit has gone around cuttting the eyes out of the Duceppe posters, which is tantamount to a public service. The guy's eyes are chilling enough to cause automatism and car accidents.

:lol:

ya know what Cheney and the Gang remind me of lately - a bunch of 17 year old high school seniors around May 15th. Baaaad case of senioritis. Don't give a f**k anymore. Know summer is near.

Anyone else getting this vibe? Like they know something big is coming down and it doesn't matter if they tell high ranking Dem senators to F off, or if they get into pissing contests with the NYT, etc.?

Pea I fail to understand your logic- I sure as hell know what risk is about I have owned, acquired and started up Companies most of my life and been taxed hard for my success and got squat for my failures. But y'know I never begrudged paying high taxes, if I hadn't made it I couldn't pay it. Today it's all about tax avoidance, Government placates their supporters with breaks and says screw the poor and unfortunate. Government needs funds to operate when they cut taxes and increase the size of Government at the same time and the deficit explodes who do you think is going to pay the piper you are-not Abby the Ape woman and the other Billionaires-just you and the others who worked hard for what they have-the wealthy should pay more tax they will still have more left and more than enough to live well. That article I quoted earlier says that 21 of the people who share the honey pot at Goldman have trusts and personal corporations with addresses in the Channel Islands. So how much American Income tax are they going to pay Nada, zip, zilch so much for supporting the American way of life-Huh!

ya know what Cheney and the Gang remind me of lately - a bunch of 17 year old high school seniors around May 15th. Baaaad case of senioritis. Don't give a f**k anymore. Know summer is near.

Anyone else getting this vibe? Like they know something big is coming down and it doesn't matter if they tell high ranking Dem senators to F off, or if they get into pissing contests with the NYT, etc.?

I'd read it as anxiety, rather than insouciance.

Maybe some of both.

But something big is going down and they have more information as to what it is than we do.

[........ I for one have quit producing for the state.? I will no longer labor so that the government can confiscate the efforts of my labor and spend it willy nilly on the thousands of wasteful things in the budget.

Not gonna work for da man eh?...............COOL!!!!!!

Shall we presume you will not avail yourself of the state provided amenities? Roads?, Water?, Police?, etc. etc. ??? :lol:

Ned,

you know respect you, but would you ask the same question of a welfare recipient? even if we opt out, we are still taxed on passive income.

i will not rant here as i tend to polarize, but i go into apts on section-8 and the tenants might pay $15/month of $1,100/mo rent for a 2br/1bth. could they be crowded into a 1br/1bth unit and pay 1/2 the rent? almost certainly, and they should. I SEE the newer cars in the lots - some have so much chrome & accessories that hey look like they went thru Pep Boys with a magnet. they have more electronics in the house than i do and it usually includes a VERY LARGE TV - like maybe 48" or so. i dont watch TV, so i dont pay $100/month for cable, but they DO! if they can pay for cable, they should be paying MORE for their part of the rent - IN FACT THEY SHOULD BE PAYING ALL OF THE RENT, WHATEVER IT IS!

i have never spent more on a car than i can EARN in a week - i have never financed a depreciating asset. i have never spend more on a residence than i could gross in a year or two (i havent bought a residence in 20 yrs, and at that i occupy one of three units - i want a BIG house, but i have to create income first - SO I FRIGGIN GO W/O and im ALMOST 50!) my current residence is F&C after years of paying down mortgage, and i drive a 1994 ford taurus that i paid $4,000 for when it had 60,000 mi. it now has almost 165,000 and is worth maybe a grand at the most. my car before cost $1,500 - its was a used toyota cressida that i scraped when it reached 348,000 miles. my ex-wife was a real ball-buster at garage sales and swap meets, thats part of how we saved dough. the only new furniture i have purchased is a mattress over internet (great price) table & hutch on super discount when homeland went outta biz (it was dinged so i got it below what used furniture cost. i have a 19" TV to watch videos, i bought a used couch & chair at the local estate sale place; same with the bedroom furniture. BY MANY STANDARDS I AM VERY COMFORTABLE FINANCIALLY BUT IM CAREFUL WITH MY DOUGH AND DENY MYSELF THINGS ID LOVE TO HAVE NOW SO THAT THE FUTURE WILL BE EASIER - WHY IN THE HELL SHOULD I BE DEMONIZED AND TAXED SO SOME BASTARD CAN HAVE SUBSIDIZED EVERYTHING. I AM VERY NEAR CUTTING BACK TO PT WORK - THERE IS PLENTY OF WORK, ITS JUST THAT AFTER A CERTAIN POINT IM A FRIGGING DRONE FOR THE WELFARE STATE.

The people on this board that have risked (perhaps "evrything") to start and maintain a business proivide the jobs for others to survive. when you take away conomic incentive, you will see the result. we will see an investor class that spends more on accountancy than taxes, and they will deal in capital that will create far less jobs, because much of the capital will flow where it is treated well, and more & more that is not the USA.

Right on, PB. In my case, add "not had kids yet" because (among other things) I can't yet guarantee a way to provide steadily for them. Back when I lived in St-Henri as a student, back in one of Montreal's worst slums, my neighbours, career drinkers, welfare recipients and bottle breakers from what I could tell... they all had large families. Spend their time pumping the stereo at night, daily trips to and from the convenience store, the works. This is a timeless debate, but it's infuriating to see the system abused. A society is measured by how well it treats its most helpless members, but it's damn frustrating to see the absence of any effort whatsoever where it occurs. The abuse at the top is, in my view, every bit as egregious and offensive as the abuse that occurs at the bottom.

The Road to Surfdom and Feudalism

http://www.pushhamburger.com/feb03.htm

A very long article with references that covers almost all of the "come ons"

used by governments and corporations. :blink: :blink:

Good read,Hunter albeit rather repetitive!

I liked the Emerson quote: Definition of a philanthropist(from the Robber Baron era).

"A man who gives away what he should be giving back" :D

Bolting for Bush

By EDWARD I. KOCH

I am a lifelong Democrat. I was elected to New York's City Council, Congress and three terms as mayor of New York City on the Democratic Party line. I believe in the values of the Democratic Party as articulated by Presidents Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Harry Truman, John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson and by Senators Hubert Humphrey, Henry "Scoop" Jackson and Daniel Patrick Moynihan. Our philosophy is: "If you need a helping hand, we will provide it." The Republican Party's philosophy, on the other hand, can be summed up as: "If I made it on my own, you will have to do the same."

Nevertheless, I intend to vote in 2004 to reelect President Bush. I will do so despite the fact that I do not agree with him on any major domestic issue, from tax policy to the recently enacted prescription drug law. These issues, however, pale in importance beside the menace of international terrorism, which threatens our very survival as a nation. President Bush has earned my vote because he has shown the resolve and courage necessary to wage the war against terrorism.

rest of article here

http://www.forward.com/issues/2004/04.01.09/oped1.html

Democrats for Bush

http://democrats4bush.com/

Koch has lost his friggin min. I wouldn't vote for Bush under any circumstances. Like the old saying goes, He could f up a wet dream.

Archived