B4 The Bell, Humpday June 9

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what type of event, news or emergency would lead to a bond buying frenzy?

Other than the normal everyday fears (terrorist event, bank failure, major debt default), a restatement of the jobs numbers significantly lower would do it. Since about three fifths of the jobs are imputed via the BLS statistical numbers, this could happen. Hard to believe that would happen before November.

Budget surpluses, zero personal and public debt with zero inflation and 3%-3.5%

return, all other countries have inflation greater than the yield in US.

Totally, unlikely! <_< :D ;) :P

Today's fun fact?..

The black bear stops eating a few days before retiring (hibernation), but then consumes roughage, such as leaves, pine needles, and bits of its own hair. These pass through the digestive system and form an anal plug, up to 1 foot (30 cm) long, which is voided when the bear emerges in the spring.

:shocked

Syndicated columnist Jacqueline Mitchard must be a Stoolie. She writes general interest essays. Today's is about her son not going to college, and how her other kids should become bricklayers to build houses for the super-rich while jobs are exported.

"...in a country where the wealthiest wealthy cheerfully thumb their nose at the dreams of the less fortunate -- and I don't mean "the poor," I mean the vast middle, the employee class...."

no link, try Tribune News Service if it's not in your local paper.

Other than the normal everyday fears (terrorist event, bank failure, major debt default), a restatement of the jobs numbers significantly lower would do it. Since about three fifths of the jobs are imputed via the BLS statistical numbers, this could happen. Hard to believe that would happen before November.

Have you seen his new campaign ad? "1.4 million new jobs created...." and talks about the economic recovery, strength of stock market, etc. "While John Kerry is talking about the Depression."

Is Kerry really talking depression? I haven't heard that but I don't watch Crapvision or much TV "news."

"...in a country where the wealthiest wealthy cheerfully thumb their nose at the dreams of the less fortunate -- and I don't mean "the poor," I mean the vast middle, the employee class...."

no link, try Tribune News Service if it's not in your local paper.

Ed Leamer is a chaired professor of economics at UCLA's school of management. In a recent interview he said

"I worry that the globalization and technology trends are ? eliminating the middle class and creating a kind of Hollywood income distribution in which there are relatively few stars who make enormous amounts of money, and a large number of people who are scrambling simply to get by.? (4:58 mins.)"

The interview is available here:

http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/faculty_resea.../ed_leamer.html

TICK divergence at the noon low plus lack of selling pressure[down Ticks not doing much damage] means they can rally this PIG if they want to.

They remain in control.

Have you seen his new campaign ad? "1.4 million new jobs created...." and talks about the economic recovery, strength of stock market, etc. "While John Kerry is talking about the Depression."

Is Kerry really talking depression? I haven't heard that but I don't watch Crapvision or much TV "news."

I think Kerry probably mentioned that the jobless recovery had the lowest level of job growth since the great depression...then of course the BLS started pumping out the "created" jobs numbers, and Bushie throws together an ad that implies that Kerry is forecasting another Depression...all coming out at the same time as the death of President Optimism...and Viola!

Marketing Nirvana!

The issue is not really jobs, it's incomes. Income growth needs to pick up, and there are signs of that happening albeit at the margins. We appear to be entering a priod of moderate income growth, yet insufficient to take the populace out of its debt load in a major way.

Labor's share of GDP has been about as low as ever. It's evidence that the bulk of the population is falling into some glorified form of serfdom. I think Ed Leamer has it right in my earlier post.

Archived