B4 The Bell, Humpday June 9

Holy Crap BatTurd. The 1 year ARM is at 1.96 this morning. This is unbelievable. 100 bps since March! A double in less than 3 months. The time bomb starts to blow next month.

Details in the MoGauge Report coming up.

Time Bombs are being ARMed ?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yield curve continues to flatten-not an indicator of inflation pressures. From 10 years to 30 the curve reached a maximum 108 bps last June and is now 65bps its lowest in a year.

From 2 years to 30 the curve maxed out at 364 bps in August. It is now 270bps.

This is market movement and not Fed induced. If the process continues, it will begin to signal the onset of a slowdown or recession out further. The Fed would need, by my estimate, a minimum 400 bps of easing to reverse a recession. Right now, they don't have it.

The curve is also making it harder for lenders and the carry trade. It still works, but that trade is much less profitable than last summer.

Morning Crew-Window at the Bell for 45 minutes-my stop has been moved for the open to 1144.50 risk 4.5 points per contract. Hb quotes me at the top and yes, that is where I think we are-Max pain for o/e is spoo's 1100-dow-10,200, cubes-36-oex-545 and sox 475-sounds good Huh! ;)

Yobob - thank for the "mises" link. I particularly like this snipet.

Greenspan's low interest rates have driven renters to become homeowners and knocked the market out of equilibrium. Underneath this Fed-inspired distortion rests the dirty little secret of how the cost of housing has served to limit increases in measured inflation. The Consumer Price Index has underreported price inflation because the government uses the rental value of housing, rather the actual price of houses, in their index.

Archived