Weak-end thread June 4-6.

Has anybody else seen the car show 'Pimp My Ride' ?

We were talking old cars the other day, and I really like

this show. Think it is giving kids ideas to keep their old cars

running. Mines on MTV cable. The star is named X - but I call him 38

Check it out. It's on my TV right now. their doing a Honda CRX that

was wrecked.

Pimp my ride is cool in terms of showing what a quality shop does to rebuild a car. Can't agree with the consumerism of the show though... they are taking cars worth $1000 or less and then putting $50k or more of work into them, and they don't even show the mechanical or engine work.

The guys doing the work are artists though. The Mustang they pimped out looked great!

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to take a long term bullish position in water? I'm clueless on this market, but it appears to be a long term no-brainer to me. This question will probably wind up marking an intermediate top, but nevertheless...

Here is one I am looking to buy. UU

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/quickchar...mb=uu&x=20&y=18

Someone really put their money where their mouth is Cubes July 29 put QAVSC-volume 116,980 on Friday-if the market does what we expect it to do-They will do very well-won't THEY!

That would certainly skew the put/call ratio. Does anyone know of a dollar*volume weighted put/call ratio as opposed to a volume weighted put/call ratio?

Adam Hamilton at zealllc.com had an article this weekend on the anomalously large p/c ratio.

Hyper buddy,look pal,I've been working on the 'flation endgame for just as long as you have, probably longer.I,unlike you,realize that it is just a social experiment.The money doesn't have to have value,who says it has to have any value?

It's you who doesn't get the concept,the money(FRNs) is spread whirld wide,not just in the USSA!

This experiment has never been done before,all currencies are "backed " by USD dolla debt.It's all PAPER and/or ETHER digits that can printed to "buyback" any or all debts at any kind of premium to" face value" .It's just a big game,that's all.

The above gold IS the money,doh.

It's hyperinflation or mASS chaos,which one do you think they will resort to?

Sheesh,get a grip.

Little early for a jam-Huh! $ is being beaten like a rented mule. Greg yesterday someone posted a link about a listed Company that owns most of the Water rights in Nevada and Arizona. I read the link and they looked like a worthwhile play. Can't remember the damn symbol-soooo will whoever posted it, come back with same for Greg.

Is the fact that kids in the US don't play ice hockey part of the problem? I would imagine so, but I don't know if the TV ratings in Minnesota and Maine and upstate New York are any better. Zillions of kids play soccer. We even have a term for their mothers. Soccer Moms. And soccer is even less popular in the US as a spectator sport than hockey. Even if kids not playing the sport is part of the issue, it doesn't change the nature of the problem. Nobody watches the game on television.

Doc,

Personally I think hockey's TV woes are due to the fact that its playoffs happen at the same time basketball's do. Hockey can never compete against BB during playoff season, as BB is just too strong.

Hockey is the 4th major sport because it has a barrier to entry at all levels to play it. Not so with basketball, football, or baseball. Here is san jose amateur hockey is very popular, and the rinks are all booked with hockey from october-march. It is pretty popular for both kids and adults. An hour of ice will cost you $300.

That is the problem right there. I can go shoot hoops for free. Hockey and other ice sports (like speedskating, which I do) is not for poor people. SJ Sharks tickets are pretty expensive. $50 or more for cheap seats. I can go to an oakland A's game for $10.

Also agree on the fighting, it adds nothing to the sport. It used to be worse, I remember going to LA Kings games which would degenerate into boxing matches. Not terribly exciting.

That said, Basketball is on, and it is time for the Lakers to get another title. Great discussion this weakend!

The western water squeeze should be good to PICO, the largest private landholder in Nevada, and through its Vidler subsidiary the largest private sector owner of water rights and water storage assets in AZ & NV. Near top of 52W range but longer term prospects bright...Q4 release here:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040507/clf015_1.html

Here ya go on water.

Someone really put their money where their mouth is Cubes July 29 put QAVSC-volume 116,980 on Friday-if the market does what we expect it to do-They will do very well-won't THEY!

That would certainly skew the put/call ratio. Does anyone know of a dollar*volume weighted put/call ratio as opposed to a volume weighted put/call ratio?

Adam Hamilton at zealllc.com had an article this weekend on the anomalously large p/c ratio.

Looks like someone already thought of it.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...lar+weighted%22

monetization is NOT the end-all-be-all. Monetization does not help credit expand, it only validates the value of previously existing securities by changing its owner in an artificial transaction. The economy still needs new debt creation to occur at an ever expanding pace in order to replace all the money that "evaporates" every day back into the ether in the form of debt service and principal repayment.

PBS-Detroit is raising money this weekend by featuring the Stars

from the 70's.

The Stylistics are on right now (broadcast from U.K.)

Patty LaBelle is hosting.

Its sooo kewl. Their voices are same as they used to be

The Stars are of course much older (and fatter) but

then arent we all? LOL

"My Love... these words could not explain... Precious Love....

God Bless You... you make me feel brand new...

Ahhhhh. Something nice on an otherwise gloomy weekend

Don't know the PBS schedules elsewhere but I hope y'all can check it out.

Sherlock (incurable romantic) :P

mdporter, I'm not Doc, but I like to talk about hockey :P

Personally I think hockey's TV woes are due to the fact that its playoffs happen at the same time basketball's do.

I agree, that is a problem.

Hockey is the 4th major sport because it has a barrier to entry at all levels to play it. Not so with basketball, football, or baseball. Here is san jose amateur hockey is very popular, and the rinks are all booked with hockey from october-march. It is pretty popular for both kids and adults. An hour of ice will cost you $300.

That is the problem right there. I can go shoot hoops for free. Hockey and other ice sports (like speedskating, which I do) is not for poor people.

That was my point yesterday. In most of Canada and some of the northern States, ice is plentiful. Lakes freeze over in winter, most public parks have outdoor hockey rinks that can be played for free, and fathers flood backyards to make ice rinks. The barrier to entry is therefore exactly the same as any other sport - a minimum of equipment, meaning a skates, a stick, and a puck (touque optional ;) ) When kids play a sport, they become fans of the sport.

For me, part of the joy of watching a professional sport is the awe that I feel for the skill of the players. Who hasn't attempted a 3 point shot or a slam dunk? How about a 60 yard bomb with a football? Who hasn't tried to hit a baseball over the fence? So when I watch the pros doing these things, I know how difficult it is, and it makes me admire their skill.

I get the same feelings when I watch hockey for the same reasons. I have tried a 100 mph slapshot. I've taken a bodycheck. I have even tried the old "drag the puck behind me when the defensemen tries to poke it away, then kick it past him though my legs and get a breakaway" manouver. If you haven't tried those things, then it's no wonder the game doesn't invoke admiration and wonder when you watch it.

Also agree on the fighting, it adds nothing to the sport. It used to be worse, I remember going to LA Kings games which would degenerate into boxing matches. Not terribly exciting.

Fighting is a matter of opinion I guess. It's not highbrow, but it's entertainment for me ;) From the critics, what I usually hear is something like "I remember a game 4 years ago when there was a giant fight and it went on for 20 minutes. It was sick." Well, ya - it happens, but I bet there have been more bench clearing brawls in baseball in the past 10 years than in hockey - but hockey has the bad reputation. Most hockey games contain no fights at all, and the fights that do occur are usually over in less than 1 minute - and they serve a purpose. But again, you would have had to play it to really understand.

Anyway, I know I'm going on and on about this, and I apologize to the board for it. Hockey is a romatic affair for me. Many of my best memories of my father and uncles were watching or playing hockey together, much like baseball or football for many Americans.

GO FLAMES! (only bacause the Oilers are out)

Archived