B4 The Bell Frieday May 28

TREASON: The offense of attempting by overt acts to overthrow the government of the state to which the offender owes allegiance.

?The Bush Orthodoxy Is in Shreds

??By Sidney Blumenthal

??The Guardian U.K.

??Thursday 27 May 2004

A series of investigations has shattered neocon self-belief.

?In place of the normal channels of intelligence vetting, a jerry-rigged system was hastily constructed, running from the office of the vice president to the newly created Office of Special Plans inside the Pentagon, staffed by fervent neocons. CIA director George Tenet, possessed with the survival instinct of the inveterate staffer, ceased protecting the sanctity of his agency and cast in his lot. Secretary of state Colin Powell, resistant internally but overcome, decided to become the most ardent champion, unveiling a series of neatly manufactured lies before the UN.

??Last week, Powell declared "it turned out that the sourcing was inaccurate and wrong and, in some cases, deliberately misleading. And for that I'm disappointed, and I regret it". But who had "deliberately" misled him? He did not say. Now the FBI is investigating espionage, fraud and, by implication, treason.

Washington, just weeks ago in the grip of neoconservative orthodoxy, absolute belief in Bush's inevitability and righteousness, is in the throes of being ripped apart by investigations. Things fall apart: the military, loyal and lumbering, betrayed and embittered; the general in the field, General Sanchez, disgraced and cashiered; the intelligence agencies abused and angry, their retired operatives plying their craft with the press corps, seeping dangerous truths; the press, hesitating and wobbly, investigating its own falsehoods; the neocons, publicly redoubling defence of their hero and deceiver Chalabi, privately squabbling, anxiously awaiting the footsteps of FBI agents.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Major

To see that the system has a built in mechanism for destruction

is not the same as wanting a collapse to occur.

I have sense enought to worry about "the sheeple" in such a dire

circumstance because it will bring out the worst behavior in most of

us due to the belief that we are not supposed to suffer.

Sherlock

Sherlock, I agree completely. However, it seems clear to me that certain Stoolies have either a somewhat more romantic or a more sinsiter view of what this would entail.

Major

To see that the system has a built in mechanism for destruction

is not the same as wanting a collapse to occur.

Sherlock

Upon sighting a huge metal tube with wings , weighing several tons way up in the sky , i proclaimed. Fie! Fie! Such foolishness! Tis folly to think such a heavy object can stay up in the air. Poor passengers don't know they have been duped by the pilotocrats. It will surely crash - never in human history has such folly gone unpunished.

Maybe I'll say something a little differently. The current system of parasitism (making regular folks into debt servicing "batteries" to use the Matrix metaphor) is VERY natural - i.e. the "strong" taking advantage of the weak. However, if one believes in any sort of "all men were created equal....we hold these truths to be self-evident" thinking around the definition of freedom, then you believe that humans have progressed beyond the simple laws of survival of the physically-fittest. If society persists with the parasitic system, then don't be surprised if the survival of the physically fittest (most well armed) mentality comes back into play. Maybe that's why the american countryside is so well stocked with guns and ammo.

Follow Torture Trail at Abu Ghraib

??By Robert Fisk

??The Seattle Post Intelligencer

??Wednesday 26 May 2004

According to J.P. London's company, CACI International, the visit of London -- sponsored by an Israeli lobby group and including U.S. congressmen and other defense contractors -- was "to promote opportunities for strategic partnerships and joint ventures between U.S. and Israeli defense and homeland security agencies."

??The Pentagon and the occupation powers in Iraq insist that only U.S. citizens have been allowed to question prisoners in Abu Ghraib but this takes no account of Americans who may also hold double citizenship. The once secret torture report by U.S. Gen. Antonio Taguba refers to "third country nationals" involved in the mistreatment of prisoners in Iraq.

Among the company's former directors is ex-CIA director James Woolsey, one of the architects of the U.S. invasion of Iraq, a friend of Ahmed Chalabi and a prominent pro-Israeli lobbyist in Washington. London says CACI "does not condone or tolerate or endorse in any fashion any illegal, inappropriate behavior on the part of its employees in any circumstances at any time anywhere."

??But it is clear the torture trail at Abu Ghraib has to run much further than a group of brutal U.S. military cops, all of whom claim "intelligence officers" told them to "soften up" their prisoners for questioning. Were they Israeli? Or South African? Or British? Are we going to let the story go?

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/052804F.shtml

http://www.economist.com/business/displayS...tory_id=2705562

What if?

May 27th 2004

From The Economist print edition

Terrorists are now targeting Saudi Arabia's oil infrastructure. How bad could things get?

Today's fast-shrinking spare capacity of about 2m bpd is less than 3% of demand?and it is entirely in Saudi hands. And yet, ?normal? threats to supply that fall far short of doomsday terrorist scenarios remain. There is less spare capacity than at almost any point in the past 30 years.

James Woolsey, a former head of America's Central Intelligence Agency, is unimpressed by talk of improved security: He thinks that several attacks, if co-ordinated by terrorists who have infiltrated Aramco, could cripple the Saudi system. Mr Woolsey adds that an attack using weapons of mass destruction (especially ?dirty bombs?) would be even more devastating than one that used mere aeroplanes. All told, the pessimists reckon that well-co-ordinated attacks could take as much as 6m-7m bpd of Saudi output off the market for weeks, and perhaps longer

Robert Baer, an intelligence expert, offers some suggestions in his disturbing recent book, ?Sleeping with the Devil?. He reckons that Ras Tanura, a port on the Gulf, is a vulnerable terrorist target. With an output of perhaps 4.5m bpd, this is the biggest oil-exporting port in the world. Mr Baer thinks a small submarine or a boat laden with explosives (as happened in October 2000 with the attack on the USS Cole off the coast of Yemen) could knock out much of Ras Tanura's output for weeks, or even longer.

An even scarier possibility raised by Mr Baer is the crashing of a hijacked aeroplane into Abqaiq, the world's largest oil-processing complex. If done with the help of insiders, he speculates that the facility's throughput (nearly 7m bpd, on his estimate) would be choked off to as little as 1m bpd for two months?and might remain as low as 3m bpd for seven months.

What difference does it make if someone "does or does not wish the system to collapse?" what is that? why would we even discuss such an angle? The system will perform as it's design dictates. No emotional viewpoint required.

I agree with your statement, however, there is a prevailing sentiment

amongst conservatives/Repubs/buy&hold investor/posters on many boards

that liberals/Dems/shorts are wishing for our soldiers to fail and for

the market to collapse. This unfounded idea needs to be recognized only

because it exists along with a bunch of other polarized viewpoints.

Indicative, to me, of the large amount of garbage that has accumulated

in the minds of people who still believe all the reasons for going to war.

The polarized thinking that has evolved in our nation, them vs us, is

what makes me the most scared in case we have a terrorist attack.

It will be like in Iraq where it seems unclear who the enemy is.

I fear that people will lash out at each other vs a real enemy.

Sherlock

The current system is not natural, and eventually nature (the normal actions and reactions of humans, who are nature's creatures) will bring it to seizure

Ignoring the intellectual integrity of the platitudes you express, then fine; you want to see collapse. But please, let?s just not wrap this up in any phoney concern for the "sheeple".

"whatever"

continue to believe that the funny money system has the intellectual integrity that you assign to it, please! be my guest. It is entertaining to watch you wrap yourself around the axle of defending statism, its machinery, and its propoganda.

Unfortunately for you I am a sheeple, so I'll go on expressing said phoney concern for myself and the other plebes.

And no, I don't want the world to end, sir, and who cares if I did? What I want is to not have to relegate myself to serfdom in order to live at a standard becoming. This is what the sheep are gonna want too, once they figure out they been had.

Archived