B4 The Bell, Thursday May 6

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

US tanks rolling into Karbala

Fierce fire fight against Al Qaeda fighters in Karbala results in the death of a few terrorists. One was ... drum roll please... a pentagon paid coalition security guard

DJ US Democrat Sen Harkin Calls For Rumsfeld's Resignation

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, has called for the resignation of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld in the wake of the scandal over U.S. military abuses at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison.

In a statement issued Thursday, Harkin called for Rumsfeld to step down or be fired by President George W. Bush. However, the White House on Thursday repeated that the president has confidence in Rumsfeld.

"For the good of our country, the safety of our troops, and our image around the globe, Secretary Rumsfeld should resign. If he does not resign forthwith, the president should fire him," Harkin said in a statement from his Washington office.

Dow Jones Newswires

Greenspam saying Americas budget deficit spells big trouble ahead

SO WHAT

SELL SILVER AND GOLD

I hate to brag how ignorant I am (although folks who know me well usually save me the trouble) but I have to ask:

Is the above-quoted comment intended in a literal sense or an ironic sense?

(I ask because I concur in the view, expressed by many here, that PMs will take at least a temporary beating on rising DXYO and interest rates.)

Rog:

Looks like 4.60% is being defended like a vengeance on the TNX.

Heard we have record short interest on the T-Bones.

Bad jobs report will scorch these guys tomorrow......

What do you think???

Would expect them to defend 46 for a while. Short position is nothing compared to the mortgage hedge unwinding if we get a few closes above 46. Also, short position was put on at much lower rates so unless Fukui steps in to squeeze them shorts have room. Finally spreads are starting to widen in corps and swaps. Mortgage bonds with 6% or higher coupons are in bid wanted state.

Inflation ( however you define it) is clearly rising fast, however wages are not rising fast ( in spite of today's strong number). this is because the global competition for labor is intense - so workers in the US have very little clout to ask for raises.

Househiold leverage , particularly morgage debt is very high and increasingly in ARMS.

The US dollar is not exactly falling off a cliff.

Therefore, the Fed can and will be very slow and behind the curve in raising rates. After all , if the concern is enrgy and food prices, how is raising rates going to help? You would have to really kill the economy with Volker type rates to get people to cut back on energy and food.

Therefore, the yield curve will continue to steepen - as bondholders price in more inflation , and lets not forget the huge supply coming on every month.

Therefore gold goes up, dollar goes down. Banks actually do OK since a steep yeild curve is good for them. however players like FNM with huge positions in bonds may get hit by the volatility. Ofcourse oil is going up for its own reasons.

the market is currently behaving as if the Fed will do the responsible thing and embark on a program of regular hikes in Fed Funds until it gets to , say, 3%. I think the market is wrong.

Greenspam saying Americas budget deficit spells big trouble ahead

SO WHAT

SELL SILVER AND GOLD

I hate to brag how ignorant I am (although folks who know me well usually save me the trouble) but I have to ask:

Is the above-quoted comment intended in a literal sense or an ironic sense?

(I ask because I concur in the view, expressed by many here, that PMs will take at least a temporary beating on rising DXYO and interest rates.)

Sarcasm intended

The US dollar isn't going anywhere with the deficits totally out of control.

Gold and silver have many enemies including the dollar.

Until the US gets its spending back within the boundaries of sanity all the manipulation in the world will not keep the metals down. I am adding to my call and physical positions daily. I refuse to buy their bullshit and consider the present timeframe the buying opportunity of the century. A dollar crisis is coming... its not if but when.

Defense of down 100 again

What else is new?

That's gotta hurt!

NYSE

AMEX

Nasdaq

Bulletin Board

Advancing Issues 476 169 609 434

Declining Issues 2,752 593 2,355 637

Unchanged Issues 116 59 129 328

Total Issues 3,344 821 3,093 1,399

New Highs 19 8 19 23

New Lows 173 33 61 20

Up Volume 73,416,224 4,690,270 204,448,608 170,238,224

Down Volume 581,288,640 152,398,736 626,235,008 290,693,600

Unchanged Volume 3,950,900 3,869,700 5,524,778 394,214,176

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Volume 658,655,744 160,958,704 836,208,384 855,146,048

Archived